“Great base”

Ranked #58 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
“Great base”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights here. The owner Fionn greeted us at one stage and is a real Irish charmer and very happy to chat and give insight to the magical city of Dublin. The staff were all so friendly and would go out their way to help. There is onsite parking available (€10 per day). The breakfast was good. The location fabulous and as close as needs be to the Temple bar area. The hop on hop off tour bus starts just down the road.
Our room whilst was only a base had seen better days, my partner called it 'showing its age'. The hot water needed jogging one evening by a staff member (who was up pronto when we called reception).
All in all an enjoyable trip and a room that did what it needed to do.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
eveee, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear guest, thank you very much for taking your time to write this great review about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Castle Hotel so much. If you are planning to stay with us in future please contact us direct under info@castle-hotel.ie and we will try our very best to offer you the best rate available as well as a newly refurbished room. At the moment we are in the middle of renovation but we are trying our very best to be finished by the beginning of this summer. We hope to accommodate you again in future.
Marleen Hermann, Customer Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights on 21st February and absolutely loved this hotel. I'm not usually the person to write reviews but the castle hotel definitely deserves one and I'm struggling to understand why previous reviews have had anything bad to say. To start with we arrived at the hotel at 8am expecting the room not to be ready but just wanting to leave our luggage somewhere but much to our surprise the room was ready! The staff were all extremely helpful gave us out key and we were off. Not only that but the reception was beautifully decorated, old elegant styled furniture with a red/cream/gold theme and a roaring fire. Our room was on the top floor which in the corridor had a large glass ceiling. We did have a couple of stairs down to our room one of which was a bit wobbly but what do you expect with an old building! Our room was lovely decorated very clean, nice wallpaper and bedding. Good desk area and plenty of space in the wardrobe. Still keeping with the old furniture so the hotel decor was not contradictory. By old I don't mean outdated. Bathroom a little bit basic but clean, tidy and everything you need. Breakfast was good limited choice if you're a fussy vegetarian like me but I still had plenty to eat. Location is probably one of the best things about this hotel too. Just off O'connell street so away from the noise but still right in the centre. Buses stop all down o Connell street too which is good. One tip I would give is if you're there for the weekend get a city tour bus ticket €18 lasts for two days hop on hop off. And the stop by the writers museum is just opposite the hotel so very easy and quick. On the Saturday night we even chose to eat in the hotels restaurant. Food was good and well priced. The restaurant is like an old tavern had a great atmosphere and great live music which made our meal extra special. Overall, the hotel in my opinion is perfect. Very helpful, polite staff too. If I was to return to Dublin there is no way I'd stay anywhere other than here. I fell in love.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Shaunaghkristina
eveee, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Shauna, thank you very much for taking your time to review your stay at the Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you also enjoyed the location and the design of the hotel. Our hotel is the oldest one in Dublin and was founded in 1809 and provides therefore lots of history as well as historical design. The staff members will be delighted to read this wonderful review. Thank you very much again for choosing the Castle Hotel for your stay in Dublin and it was our pleasure to host you. I am looking forward to your next stay
With kind regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I came here for my 30th birthday. The castle hotel gave us a beautiful room with 4 poster bed. The hotel is brilliantly located for all the touristy things to do in Dublin yet we weren't bothered by noise at all - and our room was front facing. This was also a rugby weekend AND Beyoncé was playing at the O2 but still we didn't have any noise issues. There is live music at the hotel but it is in the vaulted basement and there were no problems with noise travelling through to the rooms. When we first arrived we were too early for check-in but Reception called to see if we were able to get into the room; we weren't but they kindly offered to store our bags for us whilst we got our bearings round the neighbourhood. When we came back and got into the room we found we had no towels - we phoned Reception and someone came up within minutes with a bundle of fresh towels and an apology. Later that day we also tried to get the shower to heat up but it remained stone cold...again, called Reception and literally within seconds she came up and resolved the issue straight away for us (the dial had been put on wrong way so cold was hot and hot was cold!) Traditional Irish breakfast next day was ok; you could tell the sausages and bacon had been cooked in advance but most hotels do that with large numbers of guests and it was all hot enough; eggs were cooked fresh to order. More than one rasher of bacon would have been nice.

We read the other mixed reviews here and I really think your experience of this hotel depends on what you are here for - we only wanted the room as a base for exploring Dublin. Our room was a very pleasant surprise and it's only a pity we didn't spend more time in it. If you want a hotel which is in an excellent location, convenient yet quiet, I think the Castle is perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest, thank you very much for writing this excellent review about our hotel. I am delighted that you have had such a good stay. I am glad that all your issues have been sorted straight away by our staff members. According to the shower issue I will pass this information on to our maintenance team. We hope to welcome you back again at our hotel in future.
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the weekend and was a bit doubtful due to all the dodgy reviews - however I needn't have worried! Ok hotel is slightly old and dated but it is clean and tidy. Breakfast was great although we had an evening meal in restaurant and weren't very impressed - food wasn't great an staff just didn't seem to care! It was close to city centre and I would stay here again...it is probably slightly overpriced but if you got a good enough deal I'd recommend it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
eveee, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking your time to write this review about our hotel. I am happy to read that you are planning to stay with us again and that you have enjoyed your stay in general. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received in our restaurant. If you could contact me directly with the dates you stayed that would be very helpful as we would like to bring this to the attention of our food and beverage manager info@castle-hotel.ie . If you are going to stay with us again I can recommend staying with us between Thursday and Sunday during the summer months as we offer live Irish music each night and food specials between 5pm and 7pm. Please have a look on our web-page under the section: entertainment. We are looking forward to your next stay.

With kind regards

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the 8th of March 2014. Me my husband two children and a new born baby on arrival at the hotel we were given our room on the first floor as the lift was broken it was a struggle to climb the stairs with cases children baby and pram.The numbers on doors were not properly signed but we found the room eventually.The room itself was clean but the bathroom was basic and poorly finished.For the price of two hundred and thirty euro for one night the breakfast was a disgrace one sausage one rasher and one egg.We felt robbed. We are regular visitors to Dublin and we will never stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Thomas M
Dear Thomas, thank you very much for taking you time to write this review. I am sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay at the Castle Hotel. I assume you have been stayed with us on a busy weekend and therefore the price is higher than during the week. I do apologize that no one of the staff members has helped you with your luggage on your arrival when the elevator was broke. That should not have happened. According to the breakfast the usual portion of full Irish breakfast contains eggs, sausages, white pudding, rasher, beans tomatoes, mushrooms and there is also a selection of cereals, bread, cheese and ham. I am not sure what has happened there but I do apologize for it.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Not a hotel I'd used before but certainly one I'd return to next time I'm in Ireland. We went over to Dublin to research family history so we wanted somewhere near the city centre with a good breakfast to start the day. The hotel is a bit like an old country house with creaky stairs, odd corridors and lots of old furniture. We wanted ease of access, wi-fi in the rooms (which was fine) and nothing too expensive. The staff were great, very helpful and courteous, storing our cases on the first day while we went off to explore. We met the owner in the hotel one evening: very friendly and cheerful.
When my wife had a fall leaving the Savoy Cinema in O'Connell street, the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and fixed up an ice-pack for her on the spot. Top marks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
Dear Chris, thank you very much for writing this wonderful review about our hotel. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much. I hope your wife is better now and we are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel in future.
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Don’t be fooled, it might be called The Castle, but it is definitely not a Castle. It might be rated 3 stars, but it definitely is not worthy of that (Holiday Inn's are for the most part 3 star, this place comes nowhere close to that).

This is an old Georgian house turned hotel, antiquated, overpriced ($126 via Hotwire a night), but adequate given that it is close to city center and this was a busy weekend in Dublin and I booked last minute.

It’s clear advantage is its proximity to Dublin city center, with walking distance to most places, and the staff were all, without exception, excellent.

GOOD
Bathroom was clean and adequate
The restaurant/bar with evening entertainment was nice, food was excellent
Free Wi-Fi worked well everywhere, but you will need a proxy to access some sites as it is heavily censored by the hotel (think Saudi Arabia style)

NOT SO GOOD
Room 211, small, outdated, carpets look worn, floors creaky, door drafty as it did not close tight
Mattress was very uncomfortable, bed clothes seemed small for the bed
TV was a small portable 14 inch, old style, located in a little corner
Very low water pressure from the shower
No hot water in the mid and late afternoon, they blamed the city, but that was an excuse as there was lots of water, just it was cold
Not luggage/handicap friendly, there is an elevator, but to get to your room you still have to climb stairs

Not good value for the price paid.

Would I stay here again, no, unless I had to no other choice due to other hotels in the city center being fully booked.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Patrick, thank you very much for taking your time to write this review about our hotel. First of all I would like to apologize for all the issues in your room. I will pass all the information you have been given us to our maintenance team. The room 211 is an original Georgian room which is over 200 years old and has original Georgian features included a marble fireplace, as the building dates back to 1769 our maintenance team are constantly upgrading and maintaining this very historic building. On the other side I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment in our bar which is taking place each Friday and Saturday night at present http://www.castle-hotel.ie/Traditional_Irish_Music.php . Moreover I am happy that you were very satisfied with the staff members. I do apologize again and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.