“The staff make this hotel....”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #58 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Western Ireland, Ireland
“The staff make this hotel....”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed: Tuesday 15th to Thursday 17th July 2014

The hotel itself is nice enough, a little tired and creaky, but not unpleasant. It's a bit of a rabbit warren, but it has character. The room was good, clean and of average size for a twin room. I wasn't disappointed with the room or hotel. I did find the bed hard and uncomfortable, but my mum thought her's was fine, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

That said........

What made it go from average to very good, for me, was the staff. The ladies on the front desk and the gentleman that taxi'd us around (a gentleman that works for the hotel), were all lovely. Very warm and incredibly helpful. For that reason alone, I would stay here again.

To the staff at the Castle Hotel 'Thank you for all your kindness and attentiveness, it really makes a difference to your customers.'

Best Regards
Adele J

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adele J
Marleen_Hermann, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Adele,

Thank you very much for giving this wonderful feedback about the Castle Hotel. I was very delighted to read that you were so satisfied with the service you have been offered by our staff members and I am sure they all will be delighted as well to receive such a great feedback. We would love to welcome you back within the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us direct under info@castle-hotel.ie.

Marleen Hermann, Customer Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cork
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I hate surprises. Being asked to pay on arrival, as hotel policy, is always an unpleasant surprise – a bad start. I don’t mind giving a scan of the credit card on arrival or being given the option to pay, but being compelled (with no advance notification) to check out before you get in is bizarre. Why can’t this be made plain on the website or at the time of booking or with the email confirmation of booking?

There’s a charge for the car park – fair enough but again it comes as a surprise. But that’s nothing compared to being asked to surrender your car keys at reception if you leave the premises during the evening – now there’s a surprise. I parked under a sign that advised “the management cannot accept responsibility for loss……of property….in this car park”. So I’m expected to surrender my keys to this management under a sign like that? I wouldn’t have booked this hotel if I had known this in advance.

Apart from that it’s run of the mill but one wouldn’t recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JackSir
Marleen_Hermann, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I would like to address the points you raised as follows : :

It is our policy to offer guests the option of paying on arrival or we can pre-authorise credit cards for the accommodation total if guests prefer. I am sorry if this option was not made clear to you on arrival. I have sent a memo to all of our receptionists reminding them of the correct procedure.

Unfortunately like all City Centre hotels we are charged rates by Dublin City on all of our property including car park areas. Therefore we must like all City Centre hotels charge for car parking, at €10 per day I feel that this is good value as most of our neighbouring hotels charge between €15 and €20 for the same service. The car parking fee is outlined on our website on the following page:

This information has also been provided to all channels on which the Castle Hotel is advertised.

We do prefer to hold car keys at reception as we may need to manoeuvre cars which have been parked badly. The disclaimer notice which you mention is a standard disclaimer which is to found in most car parks in Ireland and in the UK.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we do appreciate all feedback which is invaluable in helping us to learn where we can improve our service.

Kindest Regards

Yvonne O’Keeffe
Wales
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our first visit to Dublin and the staff at the Castle Hotel could not have been more helpful. We had made a mistake in our online booking and had mistakenly ordered a twin room. On arrival our mistake was quickly rectified and we were offered a triple room with windows on two sides of the hotel overlooking Parnell Square. The room was comfortable and spacious and there was free wifi. Breakfast was plentiful but the only downside was a lack of fresh fruit on offer. We only had one evening meal at the hotel but the food was good and reasonably priced. There are some comfortable lounge areas to relax in and catch up on the newspapers. TV coverage wasn't great but there's lots to see and do in Dublin so you don't need to spend lots of time watching TV .

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room at the front.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this wonderful review about the Castle Hotel. I was very glad to read that our staff members have been looked after you so well and that you have enjoyed the comfort of your room. I will pass on your advice about the fresh food tour breakfast team. We hope to welcome you again in future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very friendly staff, nice clean rooms. Really comfortable beds. Good variety for breakfast. Good live entertainment in the evening. Just off O'Connell street and right near the writers museum. Not disturbed by traffic or hustle and bustle of the main street. Temple Bar about 10-15 min walk. Good value for money

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JulieKea66
Dear Julie,

Thank you very much for writing this great feedback about the Castle Hotel. I was happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much and we would love to welcome you back within the future.

With kind regards,

cork
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 days while on business in Dublin. It has great character which is sadly not present in other hotels so my stay was really enjoyable. Its a Georgian building with winding corridors and interesting period features. The staff are very helpful, friendly and well trained.

I had to work from the hotel as i had picked up a bug on my travels, i worked remotely connected to their wireless with perfect service.

I will stay again for sure, its now my "Dublin Hotel"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bonspaul
Dear guest,

Thank you very much this great feedback about the Castle Hotel here on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed the Georgian style of our hotel so much and the friendliness of our staff members. We are looking forward to your next stay at the Castle Hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

having stayed here many times before, myself and my elderly dad were in town for a family funeral, very unexpected. Where before we had excellent rooms and service, this time we were in single rooms, which were poor to say the least. Curtains hanging off the rail, old mouldy silicone sealant in the showers. A step up into the bathrooms, which was difficult through the night. My room had no space for opening/closing windows/curtains.
A new bistro breakfast room, is beautiful, but unhelpful staff serving up the buffet style breakfast has taken away from the homely feel, where you were served your breakfast . It was sub standard with barely cooked sausage, congealed eggs and was just unpleasant.
on a plus side the dinner was lovely, fresh and cooked to order, but expensive for what it was, in comparison to other eateries in town. I It was'nt cheap, and I'm not sure if I would return. they have just lost that personal touch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank momo2801
Dear Momo2801

Thank you for your review I am sorry that you were disappointed during your recent stay with us, if you would like to contact me at yvonne@castle-hotel.ie with your reservation details I would like the opportunity to look into this further.

With regard to the new Bistro/breakfast room we have listened to guest feedback and whilst a lot of our guests are happier with the more modern décor and the buffet style of service some of our guests like yourself prefer to be seated and be served by waiting staff. We have therefore opened up a dining area downstairs where seated breakfast service is available every day.

I hope this will encourage you to return again and if you will give me the opportunity to look into your complaints regarding the bedrooms you were allocated I would appreciate it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest Regards