“LOVED this Georgian Era Hotel!”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #54 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Castle Hotel Dublin, Ireland in June of 2014 and had a perfect stay. The only thing precenting 5 stars on my review is the accordian door on the shower but I really did not mind at all. The old world charm was perfect for my taste. Everyone was SO nice at the front desk and in the restaurant. There was singing at night and a general feeling of warmth. The location is central to everything including a central meeting place down the street for many of the day tours so we only had to take a few taxi rides during our stay. Hopefully we will get to stay there again someday!
From Fort Worth, Texas

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drp1270
Marleen_Hermann, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this wonderful review about the Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you have had such a good experience at the hotel and that our staff members looked after you so well. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you if you can contact us direct under info@castle-hotel.ie in order to discuss the issue you had in your room with the shower door. We are looking forward to your next stay at the Castle Hotel.
With kind regards,

Marleen Hermann, Customer Service

Write a ReviewReviews (2,138)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

You pay extra to park your car in their extremely tiny parking spots. They were very helpful when it came to asking for early breakfast due to our early tours we had organised - continental only when before 7.30a.m. Room was okay and at least there is a lift to get you there. Unfortunately on our last morning when we could have the full breakfast it was very busy and we waited 15 minutes to be served and only then because I chased down a waitress. Over priced for what it is - a fairly old hotel within walking distance of the centre of Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CWriggles
Marleen_Hermann, Cuaromer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at the Castle Hotel. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed the location of our hotel so much and that our team has looked after you so well especially organizing tours as well as early breakfast. The car park can be used at an additional of 10€ per night and we are more than happy to assist you with the parking if there are any issues in finding a spot. I am sorry if there was a delay in breakfast service on your last morning. In response to customer feedback we now have 2 different options for breakfast. On the ground floor we have a buffet style breakfast where our chefs will serve you both cold and hot food from our buffet counter or downstairs we have traditional waitress service in the newly refurbished 1916 room and in our vaulted cellar dining room. I believe the Castle Hotel which is a restored Georgian hotel dating back to 1769 offers excellent value for money in an excellent location close to all that Dublin has to offer. I would like to thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you again in the future.

Yvonne O’Keeffe – General Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a family trip to dublin and was delighted with the spacious family room prices are good and food isn't bad either .. Met the owner on check out he was more than friendly just like the staff and would defo return next time I'm in dublin

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tom B

Dear Tom,

Thank you very much for your lovely review about the Castle Hotel here on Tripadvisor. I was very happy to see that you have enjoyed the size of your room, the food in our restaurant as well as the service been provided by our staff members. Moreover I am delighted to read that you are planning to come back therefore we are looking forward to welcome you back within the near future.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Loved the whole theme of the hotel - it was a bit like an old haunted house - lots of creaks and personality - breakfast was lovely - staff great - rooms on the 3rd floor with a skylight that does not open were a bit like ovens - needed to put on sunscreen before I went to bed to deal with the morning sun - the air in the room was dead - would have given my back teeth for a fan :-) a 10 inch fan would have gotten this quaint hotel at least 1 more TA green dot......

Room Tip: If you have a room with a skylight and it's warm in Dublin - change rooms or bye your own fan...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gdubwoolley
Marleen_Hermann, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear gdubwoolley

Thank you for your lovely review of the Castle Hotel which is a beautiful Georgian Hotel originally built in 1769. We have kept many of the original features including sweeping staircases and high ceilings with ornate plasterwork and I certainly agree that it does have lots of personality as well as a few creaks; well the building is nearly 250 years old!!

In recent weeks we have been experiencing exceptional weather in Dublin with temperatures in the high 20’s every day it has felt more like a Mediterranean resort than our usual temperate climate. We do have a number of fans which are free for guests use we just ask for a deposit of €10 which is returned when the fan is returned, however because of the exceptional weather all the fans in our stock were taken every day and unfortunately local shops had also run out of stock and I was unable to buy more.

I have since been able to purchase another 10 fans and I hope this will adequate, I hope you return to the Dublin and to the Castle Hotel again sometime and give us the opportunity to earn that extra TA green dot.

Yvonne O’Keeffe

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great location- close to everything and yet not too close to be noisy. Walls are paper thin- could hear the people in the room next door snoring all night. Room was hot and muggy- staff had no fans to supply.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed: Tuesday 15th to Thursday 17th July 2014

The hotel itself is nice enough, a little tired and creaky, but not unpleasant. It's a bit of a rabbit warren, but it has character. The room was good, clean and of average size for a twin room. I wasn't disappointed with the room or hotel. I did find the bed hard and uncomfortable, but my mum thought her's was fine, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

That said........

What made it go from average to very good, for me, was the staff. The ladies on the front desk and the gentleman that taxi'd us around (a gentleman that works for the hotel), were all lovely. Very warm and incredibly helpful. For that reason alone, I would stay here again.

To the staff at the Castle Hotel 'Thank you for all your kindness and attentiveness, it really makes a difference to your customers.'

Best Regards
Adele J

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adele J
Marleen_Hermann, Customer Relations at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Adele,

Thank you very much for giving this wonderful feedback about the Castle Hotel. I was very delighted to read that you were so satisfied with the service you have been offered by our staff members and I am sure they all will be delighted as well to receive such a great feedback. We would love to welcome you back within the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us direct under info@castle-hotel.ie.

With kind regards

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I hate surprises. Being asked to pay on arrival, as hotel policy, is always an unpleasant surprise – a bad start. I don’t mind giving a scan of the credit card on arrival or being given the option to pay, but being compelled (with no advance notification) to check out before you get in is bizarre. Why can’t this be made plain on the website or at the time of booking or with the email confirmation of booking?

There’s a charge for the car park – fair enough but again it comes as a surprise. But that’s nothing compared to being asked to surrender your car keys at reception if you leave the premises during the evening – now there’s a surprise. I parked under a sign that advised “the management cannot accept responsibility for loss……of property….in this car park”. So I’m expected to surrender my keys to this management under a sign like that? I wouldn’t have booked this hotel if I had known this in advance.

Apart from that it’s run of the mill but one wouldn’t recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JackSir

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I would like to address the points you raised as follows : :

It is our policy to offer guests the option of paying on arrival or we can pre-authorise credit cards for the accommodation total if guests prefer. I am sorry if this option was not made clear to you on arrival. I have sent a memo to all of our receptionists reminding them of the correct procedure.

Unfortunately like all City Centre hotels we are charged rates by Dublin City on all of our property including car park areas. Therefore we must like all City Centre hotels charge for car parking, at €10 per day I feel that this is good value as most of our neighbouring hotels charge between €15 and €20 for the same service. The car parking fee is outlined on our website on the following page:

This information has also been provided to all channels on which the Castle Hotel is advertised.

We do prefer to hold car keys at reception as we may need to manoeuvre cars which have been parked badly. The disclaimer notice which you mention is a standard disclaimer which is to found in most car parks in Ireland and in the UK.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we do appreciate all feedback which is invaluable in helping us to learn where we can improve our service.

Yvonne O’Keeffe