“Don't Stay Here”

Ranked #59 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

This hotel was absolutely terrible. Don't waste your money staying here. Myself and my husband stayed here for one night in October and it was an awful experience. The sheets on the bed were filthy, the beds were very old and dirty. The walls are paper thin, the bathroom was disgusting and the hotel obviously hasn't been revamped in at least 30 years (not exagerrating!). The pokey breakfast room was closterphobic, food horrible too. There's a much nicer hotel around the corner called cassidys for the same price we paid €89.00 per room per night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
eveee, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
I have reported a problem with this review to Tripadvisor as I do not believe this is a genuine review. I have also sent a message via Tripadvisor to " Guess21 " & have advised them of my actions, I have also asked them to contact me directly if they feel I am mistaken and I will investigate any genuine complaints.

Yvonne O'Keeffe, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

I have recently stayed at The Castle Hotel (aka The Waltons) which I found to be a great base for exploring Dublin, well decorated / maintained with nice rooms. Some things that made my stay less enjoyable were...
Our room over looked the smoking area of the bar so there was constant noise of people talking / laughing / shouting under the window which made getting a good nights sleep difficult.
Breakfast was a complete free for all - the basement type room was packed to the brim each morning of our stay so we had to wait for a table each morning with the queue backing up the staircase and out into reception. The Irish Breakfast was edible but by no means good quality. The bacon was very over cooked and leathery as were the sausages. The juices were cheap as was the cereal and tea and coffee (too bitter to drink). The staff were totally rushed off their feet and under pressure, which showed with in the service. I also saw a member of staff eating cornflakes out of the box with her hand - not a good look!
On the first night we were served by a very pleasant young boy in the bar who did the best Irish Coffee we have ever tasted so wanting a repeat experience we returned to the bar later on in the stay to be served by Jim(?), an older, possibly more senior member of the team? The coffee he served was luke warm, in a glass a quarter of the size compared to the previous time and no whiskey AT ALL to taste. When we challenged him about this he free poured whiskey into our glasses, which obviously tasted horrible, as it wasn’t made correctly. The Bill for 3 Irish Coffees was 19e - not very good value for money. This in its self wouldn’t have been so bad but the argumentative attitude of "Jim" made the whole things much worse.
The Reception staff were friendly if not a little over worked.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
eveee, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you had some bad experiences during your recent stay with us. It is only with the assistance of customer feedback both good and bad that we can learn when we are doing well and when we could as you say " Do better" . I have noted all your comments and will do my best to improve the areas mentioned. In the meantime if you would like to contact me directly at yvonne@castle-hotel.ie. I will refund the cost of the "Irish Coffees" which were not up to our usual standards.

Kindest Regards

Yvonne O'Keeffe - General Manager
Takoma Park, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

I stayed at Castle Hotel September 26-29 2010 with a bunch of friends from college. It was a good match for our group. We were split between three rooms, 201 and 202 on the second floor and 308 on the third. I was in 201, a corner room that seemed to be the smallest of the three. This was not a big deal as we had no intention of spending a lot of time in our rooms. I can definitely reinforce other reviews of the walls being paper thin -- it wasn't really an issue since we were next door to friends, but this could understandably be annoying under different circumstances. In general the staff were very friendly and helpful, with the exception of one woman who yapped away on her cell phone while we stood by the front desk waiting to ask her a question (we eventually gave up and ventured out). I could see how the dining room could get very crowded during the busy season, however this was never really an issue for us. The Irish breakfast (vegetarian breakfast in my case) was a great way to start the day. We were pleasantly surprised to find the hotel has an elevator, which made our lives a lot easier on check in and check out days. The location is good, right off of O'Connell Street, across from the Garden of Remembrance, but just far away enough from most of the action to feel a little secluded. I don't understand the other reviews that claim this place is noisy, maybe we were just in town during the off-season but the surroundings were very quiet. It was a bit of a walk to the main destinations throughout town, but it was a nice way to see the city and we also made good use of the hop on/hop off bus. Thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Bodmin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

When we arrived for our three day stay the reception staff were very helpful, happy and polite. The room was clean and comfortable and tea/coffee, kettle were there for us.
The Hotel is in a brilliant location, just above O'Connell Street, for getting into the city, just 2/3 minutes walk.
Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and although the hotel was very busy, the waiting staff did an excellent job coping with the volume of guests arriving for the meal.
Papers were available in recption to read or take to your room
The receptionist was happy to order a taxi for us the night before we were due to leave and it arrived on time.
We would recommend the Castle Hotel to anyone wanting a short break or even a longer stay in the fantastic city of Dublin.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I checked in with out a reservation on a trip to Dublin. We were tired from traveling and asked for a room for 4 nights. The reception gave me a price and I paid with my credit card. On the 4th night as we returned from sight seeing the reception explained that we had not paid for the 4th night and there was some confusion regarding our staying that night. She told us she would look into this and we could go ahead and stay and not to worry. In the morning as we were checking out the repception (a guy this time) informed us that there was another charge and that we needed to pay it. I paid it to avoid an incident and was told that I could talk to the manager about it. I have and and informed that there will be no refund and I actually found another charge on my credit card statement. this was an ambush to get another charge outa me and I recomend that no one stay at this hotel. btw it was also noisy and not close to anything.

eveee, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
Thank you for your review, I would like to add my response by saying that we have been in correspondence about this matter. The receptionist on duty quoted you for a 3 night stay when you arrived without a reservation and she wrote your arrival date and expected departure date on the registration card which you then signed.

I am obviously very sorry that there should have been a misunderstanding, you did mention to me that it was late when you checked in and that you were tired and perhaps this may have contributed to this error.

When you spoke to the receptionist about the outstanding bill for the 4th night, she did indeed say that she would look into the situation and come back to you but since you left the following morning at 6am it was the nightporter on duty who collected the outstanding bill for one night which was still due.

I have also explained in a previous email that the “another charge” which you mention above was for bar/dining room charges during your stay which were signed by you at the time. This was not an “ambush to get another charge outa” you but a valid charge which you accepted was valid in your last email.

I am sorry that you you would not recommend this hotel, I have tried my best to explain the charges which you had disputed and I am sorry that I have not been able to change your opinion.

Kindest Regards

Yvonne O'Keeffe
Manager
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

Found this hotel at a good price with breakfast. Easy walk to all areas of Dublin being only 10 mins walk down O'Connell Street. Reception very attractive and was given room 324. Up the lift and what seemed a maze of corriors. Be warned that The Castle and The Walton are the same hotel . The room we had was in the Walton side but to put my mind to rest did ask to see a room in the Castle and although slightly larger could not see the room offered any better. The room we had was in the back of the hotel, so no view, but quite. Twin beds, flat screen tv, tea/coffee and a good bathroom. All looked like it was new. Towels are on the small side but shampoo and shower gel availabel.
Breakfast is a cooked breaky with eggs cooked hoe you like. and toast, juice with ceral all very nicely cooked .
Nice touch was that the owner came to speak to everyone in the dinning room.
Can leave you luggage at the hotel if you have a late flight.
All in all would return and hope you enjoy your stay in Dublin.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
somerset, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

Came across this place by accident but very glad we did. Came to Dublin day earlier than planned to stay at neighbouring hotel we were booked into the next night but football game in city meant all rooms were full so in desperation tried the Castle. They had one twin room left and luckily space in the very small car park for our motorbike. The location is great - just at top of O'Connell Street and the main tourist areas.
The staff were fantastic, the room cosy, spotless and comfortable. The bathroom clean with plenty of hot water and fluffy towels and the hotel both quaint and grand at the same time.
The rooms had high ceilings and huge sash windows all the furniture and decor was in keeping with a period hotel but also had a contemporary feel. In the corridors there were display cabinets containing some interesting peices which were facinating to look at. I'm not sure if this hotel would appeal to the young or trendy but if you are looking for a great hotel with courteous staff, delicious food and comfy beds in a central location stay here - much better than Cassidys hotel, situated up the road, where we spent our next night.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple