Lyndon Guest House
Castle Hotel(Dublin)
  • Bar/Lounge
Gate Hotel(Dublin)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2008

An extremely unpleasant experience with the manager of Lyndon House: She used my Visa card number, which had been sent confidentially to another hotel, and billed me for a night I did not spent in her hotel!!!

I booked one triple and a quad at Lyndon House in september. I was later informed that the owner had sold his property, and had moved to Amberley House, where our reservation was confirmed.

When we arrived in Dublin, we got lost, and I called the phone number I had kept, which happened to be Lyndon House and not Amberley House. The receptionnist did not know Amberley House, and asked us to come to Lyndon House, which we did. She told us that we did not have any reservation under our name, and did not know who could have my Visa number, which was kind of worrying me! The girl offered to stack our bags in a room nearby, and I agreed to come back between 5 and 6pm to meet the manager and clear the problem. When we got back, the manager was not there, but a nice new receptionnist told us she know how to get to the previous owner, and offered to call Amberley House: Our reservation was actually confirmed with the Visa card number, and the rooms waiting for us. The receptionnist showed us to get to Amberley House, and gave us our bags back. When we got to Amberley House, the receptionnist confirmed that my Visa number had not been communicated to anyone else.

Half an hour later, I received a furious call from the manager of Lyndon House, accusing me of cheating on her, and leaving her hotel without paying, threatening me to bill me for the night. It was a very unpleasant conversation.

Imagine my surprise when, upon my retourn to Paris, 24hours later, I found that Lyndon House had billed me on my Visa card for 150€! I remembered then that I had left the copy of the confirmation mails with the Visa card at Lyndon House to try and explain the situation... Although I had taken those mails back with me, the manager has certainly noted the Visa number, and simply used this confidential number which had not been sent to her, and billed me!

Whatever misunderstanding - and I think that she hoped we would stay in her hotel as the "vacancies" sign was out, it does not allow her to use a confidential Visa number, which is absolutely dishonnest.

Everyone will understand I strongly advise not to go to this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I stayed at this B&B about a year and half ago and I really liked it. Very well located, just footsteps away from Dublin Centre and Temple Bar. I had a two-night stay and it was perfect as I just needed a bed to sleep in, spending the whole day & evening outside. The staff was nice and I loved the familiar atmosphere. A place I highly recommend if you're on a weekend party trip to Dublin and you just need a place to sleep

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Positive feature: simple but clean rooms. Negative features: breakfast not special at all; no private parking I had to wake up at 7 a.m. to insert coins in the parking meter!)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2007

The room was beautifully clean and crisp. The standard of cleanliness was good throughout the hotel. There were just little touches missing - no plug in the plughole, no remote for the TV. The staff did quickly remedy this when asked.

My one other reservation which the hotel cannot do anything about is the location of a lap dancing club diagonally opposite. This may not bother groups or single men but it unsettled me a bit.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank NorthEastBetti
Reviewed 28 May 2007

This little guesthouse, centrally located in Dublin, was great value for money. It is just off O'Connell Street, the main thoroughfare in Dublin. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and a full Irish breakfast was included in the price of the room. Keeping in mind it is a 2 star guesthouse, it is definitely worth the cost. Very clean and secure. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo