“Irish Welcome???”
Review of Trinity Lodge

Trinity Lodge
Ranked #27 of 151 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Stayed there last weekend and was underwhelmed.

All staff that we met were eastern european and the language barrier (english!!) was a problem. Reception staff were kind of frosty and they really need to work on the welcome factor.

Room was really basic, but breakfast was excellent and you couldn't get a better location.

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank travelalotCork

Reviewed 5 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at Trinity Lodge for 3 nights in July 2007 as the first leg of our 2-week visit to Ireland. The location is fantastic, as it is in the heart of Dublin's South side, walking distance to most sites and near all major bus stops (Air Coach, Dublin Tours hop on/off bus, etc.) The Lodge is on a quiet side street across from Trinity College, so it is quiet.

Our room was on the top floor and there is no lift so it is a long 3 flights up with luggage. No one helps you, as the front desk person is usually alone and can't leave her desk, plus she was often a young girl. The room was small but clean (not spotless, but okay). Nothing fancy. Basic bed, armoire, desk, and nightstand with one painting on wall. Bathroom was small with stand-up shower.

Two negatives - 1) the walls are thin enough to hear the people in the next room, at least from our room. We could have had noisy neighbors but still. 2) Guests are allowed to smoke in their rooms. We saw no smoking signs in the hallway so we asked
why we smelled smoke, and the manager informed us that their policy is that guests can smoke in the privacy of their own rooms but not in public areas. Sorry, but this bothered us, as we thought all Ireland hotels are now non-smoking. You could smell
the smoke coming from the room next to us and there is no escape. They have not broken it up by floors (that would make a little bit more sense). So this was a big disappointment as I am allergic to smoke. We did not run across this issue in any
other accommodation in Ireland.

You must walk across the street for breakfast if you stay in the main building of the Lodge (they are expanding into the building across the street). Breakfast was very good. Nice buffet plus a hot dish of your choosing. Service was friendly.

The price was very reasonable as we stayed 3 nights (they offer a discount if you book 3 nights or more). It came to 144 Euros per night, so for the price, it is not a bad choice. Just know what you are getting and not getting before you reserve.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Trinity Lodge (booked directly with the hotel). All I can say is for the money (or even without the money we got taken. We booked one room or suite (so we thought) for a family of 5..we looked at 2 rooms but it was so much more expensive
and they told us this was very spacious that we decide that $1200 for
2 nights was high enough and we opted for the 1 room. We had trouble finding other available lodging because it was a bank holiday that week end in Ireland and all hotels were fully booked. Knowing that the Trinity lodge had availabilty when no where else did should have been the clue. In any event, let me say that the location is perfect..as others have attested, and given that as a tourist you spend little time in your room..location is a prime consideration. We did indeed love the proximity to everything Dublin from the hotel.
This was our last stay of a 9 day trip across the country and the only lodging we found disappointing in any way. WE arrrived and checked in (they only have one person at reception at any time and only til 9 pm..no concierge or anything else..which is disappointing when you are visiting a city for the first time and you require assistance for trip planning etc) but that being said..we checked in and THEN and only THEN did she tell us we were NOT actually roomed in the lodge but across the street (where they have more rooms I guess). We followed her to view the room..which was on the 8th floor in an old building with narrow staircase (and no elevators because of historical building etc)..NOONE ever told us that ahead of time! We had to LUG our luggage up these 8 floors ourselve (no bell men). I am never opposed to carrying my own luggage but given the location 8 steep floors ups...this was ridiculous. Even our kids all college age were exhausted at the toip of the stairs. haha then to open the door and find 1 room with 2 double (not queen) beds and a pullout couch for 1200 dollars for 2 nights..with one teeny bath (no tub)..
was crazy. we did try at that point to cal around to see if there might be cancellations at other hotels but to no avail..so we stuck it out. Again location was great which is what we focused on, but the room was terrible. The beds were hard as rocks and pillows flat and old..again not what you expect at a fine guest house. Breakfast is included for the 1200 us dollars...but go elsewhere. Juice is fabulous...but service (one waitress for a full restaurant) was slow and unreliable and the food was not good on any level. Breads tasted old and stale, croissants were doughy, eggs were horrible ( how does one mess up a poached egg?) overcooked and served with a hard yolk on a plate (no bread or garnish or fruit) just 2 hard eggs..gross! anyway without making the place seem terrible terrible.. I will end. Perhaps the rooms in the original lodge are nice (but for the money) go to the new Shelbourne..if it is available..much much nicer for similar money. We are anxious to return to Dublin but will never stay at trinity lodge again. (Oh and we ran out of toilet paper twice (5 people) and they bring one small roll to you at a time)
...and styreet was very very noisy at 2am til 330 as bars and clubs let out! ouch!

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank pixie
Reviewed 18 April 2007

We found a great price for this lodge on laterooms.com and were able to book a "superiour luxury room" for the same price as a standard room. I'm not sure what the difference was as far as rooms but our room was beautiful! Clean and sunny and the lodge is located in the heart of Dublin City Centre. Walking distance to Temple Bar, Triniry, St Stephens Square and St James Gate as well. The breakfast was fabulous - we arrived around 8AM and found pastries, cheese, fruits, fruit drinks, wheaten bread (YUM) and once we were seated the waitress took our order for eggs or various breakfasts also included in the room price. I would stay here again without reservation and would recommend this to anyone looking for quality and cleanliness along with location in Dublin. The staff were friendly, warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ckarp73
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Trinity Lodge is in an excellent location, just south of Trinity College and within a few minutes walk to Grafton Street, Temple Bar, or St. Stephen's Green. This is the major selling point as the hotel itself is nothing special, but it was good value and I would consider staying here again.

I was expecting more of a bed & breakfast experience, but this is actually a small 3-star hotel, with a reception desk and full services. The staff was helpful and friendly. My room was clean and quiet, but VERY tiny and a bit worn and shabby. The carpets need to be replaced and the furniture looks a little dated. The TV in my room worked but some of the knobs were broken off.

A full breakfast is included and is currently being served in George's Wine Bar across the street while the breakfast room is undergoing renovation. The food was good and quite filling, enough to fuel your sightseeing through lunchtime. There is also a very good Italian restaurant next door. All in all, this was a good place to rest up after a day and night out in Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2007

I made a short trip to Dublin in January 2007 to visit relatives. I wanted somewhere centrally located as I was visiting people in both the northern and southern suburbs. Trinity Lodge is well positioned in the centre of town, and within walking distance of the DART service and most city bus routes.

The web site advertised a single room rate of 100 Euro for January, but I was told there were no singles available, but I could have a double for 120, which I did.

I arrived early, at 10:00 a.m., but was able to have my room then as it was ready. Very welcome, after a 5:30 a.m. departure from home. A lot of stairs and I think there are only two or three rooms on each level.

Room was a reasonable size, but the blandest hotel room I have seen for a while. Quite startling in its plainness (and not a hip/modern plainness) - beige and cream and no artwork at all. But bed was comfortable and there were bedside reading lights, although I could not turn the switch on one on. Clock radio with alarm, flat screen TV with erratic reception, trouser press that I never did get to work, ironing board and iron in wardrobe, good wooden hangers that you could actually remove (although 5 is not enought for a double room). Small room safe that I did not use and a tray with electric kettle etc. for tea or coffee, which I did use.

Small bathroom, with one of those corner showers with the two glass screens to close. Good quality sink unit and toilet. Good towels that appeared new, soap, bath gel, shampoo (not very good quality), shower cap. Shower was the inevitable "power shower", but there were excellent instructions in the very comprehensive guest information folder, so I did not get burnt or frozen.

Room was at the back which may have been more quiet than the front with road and bar noise, so just the usual city noise and light intrusion. I was woken at 2:15 a.m. by the occupants of the room above mine coming home. They were not doing anything more than walking around, using the bathroom and going to bed, but did those floorboards creak!

Maids were vacuuming around 8:30 a.m., which did not bother me, and I guess that what has to happen if the rooms are to be ready early. Don't know how the folks upstairs liked it though.

Breakfast room was a big surprise after my bland room - very bright and cheery with great paintings on the walls. Good cold buffet table, with a good selection of cut fruits, including kiwi, and some healthy looking meusli. Orange juice tasted reasonably real as well. The East European young woman who was cooking and serving asked for my hot breakfast preference and when I told her I wanted soft and runny poached eggs, she actually brought one to my table and asked if that was acceptable to me. Good brown toast as well. Seems as if one can have any combination of cooked breakfast and the chalkboard said that vegetarian options were available too.

Checkout was easy and I had the choice of charging to my credit card in Euro or Dollars. I was able to leave my bag at reception for the day and pick it up before I went to the airport. As stated in other reviews, the "Air Coach" service has a stop one street over (on Dawson Street outside the Pink shirt shop), which is very handy.

Overall, a pleasant place to stay in an expensive city. Not sure that I would be too happy paying the full double rate (180 Euro) in high season, but the excellent location and pleasant service and ambience probably make it better value than other similarly priced alternatives.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank marleydog
Reviewed 5 January 2007

This was the first stop on our two week trip across Ireland. We chose to stay at Trinity Lodge solely for the location, and that was the right call. It's adjacent to Trinity College and right in the heart of everything without being overly noisy. It's on a side street and although there is a club relatively close, we did not hear the music from our room. Other reviewers have complained of the noise though, so I guess it depends on which room you get.

Another positive for the Trinity Lodge was that they had the best buffet portion (i.e., fruits and baked goods) of the traditional Irish breakfast of any place we stayed during our trip, but make sure you don't come late to breakfast as they don't restock it throughout the morning.

The room was adequate but felt more like a hotel room than a B&B. The bathroom was newly remodeled and had a full-sized shower with decent water pressure, which is hard to find in Ireland. Our trip was during a rare heat wave, and this was one of the few places that had a fan readily available for us (no A/C in most of Ireland).

The biggest downside was the price. Trinity Lodge was more than double the cost of any other place we stayed during our trip (and everything else in Dublin was more expensive as well). You can't really go to Ireland without staying in Dublin, but it's overly touristy with mediocre restaurants. I would recommend keeping the stay in Dublin short and spending more time in Belfast, Galway or Kerry.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple