“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Number 31

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dublin
Number 31
Ranked #40 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Yonkers, New York
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

My partner and I stayed at Number 31 in April for four days and truly was one of the best experiences I have ever had! From the very first moment we arrived it was great. Our plane shockingly landed EARLY and we made it to the hotel prior to breakfast ending. We had flown all night and were hungry but not expecting to make it, and as soon as we arrived we were whisked away by the nicest staff in town who served a full made-to-order Irish breakfast with tea and coffee. Not only was the food spectacularly good, but every person working there was incredibly nice. Our room was fantastic, with a sitting area and little private garden. The owners couldn't be kinder and helped orient us to the city and gave great food recommendations. The location was great, right off of St Stephens Green and it was easy to get around. Did I mention there is a fire burning in a fireplace everyday, just for that extra touch? It was a trip of a lifetime for us and the staff and accommodations at Number 31 were a big part of that! Thank you so much!!

1 Thank newfoundlaurenie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Arriving tired and with a little cold from the long plane ride, met at door by an exuberant host. This man really understands what hotel keeping and customer service is all about. I wasn't wild about my room at first, right near the front door and the reception area. Spoke to Noel, who reassured me it would be a little noisy only during that hour of the day. He was right. At any other hotel I would have moved my room, but not here. The room was an architectural jewel, living up to form not necessarily following function. If I had any complaint it would be that the water in the bathroom sink doesn't always make it into the sink unless it's turned on a little high, and anyone over the age of 65 and out of shape might have a difficult time climbing into the magnificent bathtub. Charmed by the skylight in the room and the gulls who decided to alight on it from time to time. Location seems a little dicey, until you realize you're a block from St. Stephen's Green and the major areas of Dublin. Breakfast was fantastic. Loved it and would definitely return. If they had room (they're very busy).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

For sure is Noel Comer a nice and charming host and it definitively tries hard to make you feeling at home. Upon checking in for our two night stay he personally welcomed us with a cup of tea and bisquits and shared with us lots of informations about how and where to go to discover Dublin's attractions, almost all comfortably and wonderfully located within walking distance from the guesthouse. He insisted to personally bring our luggages across the nice small garden in the courtyard, through the internal passageway and up the stairs into the 2. floor of the beautiful Georgian building where our room was located. The room itself was large, clean and furnished with style and taste. It has a high ceiling, surrounded by a wooden frame, features a fireplace, a comfortable double bed and counts several design furniture items (e.g. 2 Poltrona Frau leather armchairs). The bathroom, which is built inside of the original room's layout, was a bit small with just a fix shower appliance (no bath tub) but offered the extra comfort of a heated floor. Breakfast is served on the first floor of the check-in area (i.e. the building located on Leeson Close, as the Georgian building is located opposite to it and faces Fitzwilliam place) either inside or in a porch oustide. Staff is friendly and the breakfast offers a variety of cereals, fruits and hot dishes.
The achille's heel of our room (and our reason for the "average" overall rating) is definitively it's exposure to noise: we had both inside noise (water loudly flowing from the above plumbing, chatter in the corridors and from neighbour rooms) as well as ouside noise (cars, honks, sirens and from people on the street). All in all a positive experience but I can easily understand that individual sensibility, guest politeness and room location/situation/difference can greatly influence the quality of your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sekok
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I absolutely LOVE Number 31. We spent 3 nights here and I could not have asked for a better place to stay in Dublin. It is a great place to rest weary bones and tired feet! Tucked away in a quiet corner of Dublin and yet close to St Stephens Green, Trinity College and other major sights, Number 31 is a serene, comfortable lodging with an unbelievable breakfast. Our room (Room 10, I think) was quite large and beautifully furnished. The bathroom also was large with a great shower. Number 31 has a very "Zen-like" feeling. We also cannot say enough about our host, Noel - he was great - charming, entertaining, helpful, interesting, warm, friendly and had great suggestions for dinner to boot (The Sussex, La Pont and Canal Bank)!

We flew into Dublin and we were "wheels down" at 6:36 AM. By 7:30 AM, we were having a hot breakfast at Number 31 and were in our room before 9:00 AM. What a pleasant introduction to Dublin.

Let me tell you, this is one cool place with a great host. Next time I visit Ireland I'll go back to Dublin just to stay at Number 31.

1 Thank Colleen B
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this wonderfully stylish place. Bedrooms and common areas are modern but sympathetic to the period features. Good location, easy walk to the centre but not in the thick of things. Fantastic breakfast and hosts with real Irish charm! A real find.

• Stayed April 2012
Southern England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

After calling through earlier in the week we informed the owners we were expecting to arrive at 10.30am, when we arrived they had not only got the room ready early but had also arranged for us to have a late breakfast, a great one at that and a nice touch
Number 31, is really like living in someones home, fantastic breakfasts, lovely courtyard garden which our very quiet room overlooked and you have a key to come and go as you please
A truly memorable stay, great hosts, really useful info given to tour the city, great position as walkable to the city centre in 5-10 minutes through St. Stephens Green, very near the canal for romantic walks and a beautiful room, will stay again when in Dublin, just can`t fault

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard garden are quieter
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Let me say, from the get go (in case you'd like to save yourself from having to read an overly gushy and positive review), I loved everything about this hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough. I only wish I could give it a rating higher than Excellent. My next trip to Ireland will likely focus on the west coast, rather than Dublin, but it will absolutely include at least one (or more!) night in Dublin, just so I can stay at Number 31. Okay, now on to the review.

I recently spent 4 days in Dublin and stayed at Number 31 and it was one of the highlights of the trip. I'd spent countless hours researching exactly where to stay and Number 31 (and it's ridiculous number of rave reviews!) was always sort of at the top of my list. But, I was a bit dubious -- how could this hotel really be as good as everyone was saying it was? I finally decided to bite the bullet when, on a bit of a lark, I stopped into a bookstore in London (my stop before Dublin), picked up a book and Dublin and it opened right to the page about Number 31 (with more rave reviews). That seemed like enough of a sign that maybe this place just might be a good spot.

"Good" doesn't begin to describe it. From the moment I walked through the mews door, through the front garden and into the living room/lobby, I felt as though I were at home. Rather than being rushed through check-in and tossed a key to my room with nary a smile (as I'm pretty used to when staying at chain hotels), I was invited to set my bags down, offered coffee or tea (coffee, please!) and encouraged rest and relax in front of the fireplace. I can't express the overwhelming feeling of "welcome" that I felt. But this isn't a typical matronly B&B. Oh no. This is mod and chic. With my coffee in hand (the first of many pots of French press I consumed during my stay), I walked around the living room, ogling everything and trying to figure out how to recreate that perfect combination of modern and rustic, worn-in and clean in my own home. Oh! And the smell! The room had the most amazingly intoxicating and lingering smell from the daily lighting of the fireplace. I loved it.

Before I was walked to my room, I was given a map and terrific directions on how to get around town, as well as tips for fun things to do. It was a really nice touch, especially because it was my first time in town and I wasn't really familiar with all that the city has to offer.

(As an aside, before I'd traveled, I kept hearing about how the Irish have a reputation for being nice, and from the moment I landed until the moment I left, I have to say, it was absolutely true. I hate to make grand generalizations about people from a certain place, but every single person I met there was so nice and friendly and hospitable!)

Number 31 is actually two buildings -- the mid-century mews building (which includes the kitchen/dining area, as well as the aforementioned living room, and several guest rooms) and a 4 story Georgian town house -- connected by a to-die-for garden. Before I get to my room (on the top floor of the Georgian town house, facing onto Fitzwilliam Place), I have to comment on the general decor which, in a word, is spectacular. In every nook, hallway, stairwell and landing of the town house, there are incredible seating areas and the whole space (including the guest rooms) is decked out in a combination of mid-century and turn-of-the-century. You can tell that A LOT of attention and care has been paid to the space, and the guest rooms are no different.

On to the room! First, and probably most importantly for a hotel: the bed! It was the most comfortable bed I've slept in and I slept better for the three nights in Dublin than I have a really long time. What a treat! The room was decorated simply and cleanly, without any tacky "hotel art". Rather, it had an amazing original work by an Irish artist, floor to ceiling windows that let in loads of light (and came with plush, light-blocking curtains, in case sunlight isn't your thing), comfy chairs and lots of storage. The bathroom is completely renovated and modern, and has just the right combination of classic and contemporary touches and finishes.

So, now that I've gotten through the welcome, the decor and the room, I have to comment on the breakfast that supposedly the "best in Dublin". Well, I can't say for sure it's the best, because it was the only breakfast I ate in Dublin and you would have to pay me good money to go somewhere else. The dining area is made of two large rooms (both with huge family-style dining tables), one of which is in a solarium overlooking the mews entrance. As with the rest of the space, the dining area has both rustic and modern touches (natural wood tables with crisp white linens and tableware, surrounded by Eames style chairs and lush green plants). In the background, you'll hear the staff making breakfast to order while the chat and laugh with one another, truly seeming to enjoy one another's company and their jobs. If you've ever had a good dining (or hotel) experience come to a screeching halt because it's clear the staff hates being there (and you start to think, "hmm, if they hate it here, maybe I should too!"), you'll appreciate the warmth and friendliness of everyone at Number 31. And the breakfast really is as good as everyone says it is. I've been craving the cranberry-orange bread, Irish soda bread, coffee, eggs Benedict and full Irish since the moment I left. Yum!

Dublin is an incredibly easy city to get around. It takes, at most, 30 minutes to walk to the farthest point of the city centre. You can also catch one of the very plentiful taxis or use the buses. But walking is really the best way to see the city. Between Number 31 and the city centre is the famous St. Stephen's Green and it makes for a most excellent route.

I could go on (and on and on) about my stay at Number 31, but I'll end simply by saying that it was absolute perfection, from start to finish.

Room Tip: The town house doesn't have a lift, so if you have trouble with stairs, be sure to request a roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo