“Nice Place”
Review of Number 31

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dublin
Number 31
Ranked #45 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights and I debated about my review. We were in room 18 which is ground level and faces Fitzwilliam = street noise and it's busier than I would have expected (ear plugs a must), the only steps were the few from the garden which could be a plus for some. Space in the room was smallish and we bumped around the furniture/luggage. Bathroom was OK, towels OK. It's a 5 to 10 minute walk to St. Stephen's Green and from here to the main attractions including Grafton Street but we like to walk. There's a HOHO bus stop at St. Stephen's if that interests you. Breakfast was really good and one morning we splurged on eggs benny - they were excellent. Service was welcoming and very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfun001

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This establishment consists of two buildings - what used to be the coach house is now the entrance, with a super mid-C20th sunken lounge area complete with peat fire which gives a pleasant aroma. The architecture is stunning. If staying in the main (200 year old) house as I was, you then walk through a pretty garden and up a narrow staircase to enter the gracious old terraced house. I was in room number 20 which was only up one flight of stairs - to stay near the top floor must involve a lot of climbing! Staff were friendly but non-intrusive, breakfast was tasty. Everything was a little worn around the edges but then so am I so it didn't bother me. The garden was a particularly charming spot considering it's in the centre of town - a pleasant walk to the main attractions of this gorgeous city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank maryrosedouglas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This B&B hotel is backwards. The original front, now the back, is a beautiful Georgian House on Fitzwilliam Place. The front is in a mews, and the one enters through a door in the garden wall and then into a stylish reworking of what was presumably the carriage house/stable. This part of the building is very distinctive, with a large sunken seating area with a fireplace. this part of the hotel was designed by a well known architect whose name escapes me just for the moment, but he did a good job.

There are a couple of rooms in this part of the hotel, but most are in the house itself, across a pleasant little garden form the front. The style of this part is slightly kitsch Georgian, a tiny bit shabby, perhaps, but very comfortable and characterful. We have stayed in one of the ground floor rooms, which is a very good size, and one at the top of the house, which was smaller, but adequate. In both cases, the bathroom was well appointed with a decent shower. The rooms have the usual mod cons. A couple of botts of mineral water were provided.

Breakfast is taken upstairs in the front (or the back as was) of the hotel, and is excellent. Fresh juice.Cereals, yog, fresh fruit, fresh compote, excellent breads and jams, very good full Irish, good eggs bendict, scrambled eggs with smoked slamon were a little solid, a pair of kippers (with poched eggs), the best i have had. Tea ad infinitum (or filter coffee). Communal tables, which is not really my idea of a good time at brek (or any other meal) but it works fine.

I believe that the proprietors have been at it for some time; they give the impression of knowing exactly what they are doing. They are charmingly hospitable; tea and home made biccies were offered on arrival, and our daughter was given brekkie even though she wasn't staying there!

The hotel is just off Leeson St South, just north of the canal, just south of St Stephen's Green. Easy walking distance into downtown Dubin, such as it is, and convenient for the airport express bus service. If you arrive by car, it will be taken away from you and parked (and returned on request).

I doubt that there is a better place to stay in Dublin, unless you require swimming pools, business centres and so on.

Room Tip: I suspect that the roome on the ground floor 'front' (actually back) is the biggest.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank theblackhand
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Number 31 is a bit out of the way, but a comfortable and interesting place to stay with a great breakfast.

Pros: Great breakfast, comfortable room, nearby walk along the canal.

Cons: Bit of a walk to tourist sites. Poor room Lighting - bedside lamps are difficult to read by, and no lights with room seating.

Be aware: No elevator and access to some rooms have lots of stairs.

Room Tip: No elevator - be sure to let them know if stairs will be a problem. Noise may be an issue on some o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Makawao
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed our four night stay at Number 31 in late May. I arrived at 10 AM, after hours of flying, and was offered breakfast and coffee, then shown to my room where I took a nice long nap before my daughter arrived. Our elegant room was on the second floor, overlooking the road which had some noise because we left our window open night and day. I used ear plugs so the noise hardly bothered me, and I slept well in the very comfortable bed. We loved the delicious breakfast every morning. One thing we found annoying, however, was that other guests would "save" chairs for other members of their group, so a few times when we tried to sit in the "outdoor" area we were told that the available seats were being saved. I'm not sure if anything can be done about this, but it seems that all members of a group should either go to breakfast together or perhaps not sit together. Part of the joy of traveling is visiting with other guests.

The location is also nice. The Georgian neighborhood seems safe and the colorful doors are lovely. We went to dinner once at Farm across the road and down a little, but most sightseeing and dinners took place in the city center, which is a twenty minute walk. The walk is great in the morning when your energy level is high, but after walking all day, it's kind of tiring to walk back to the city again, and then back to the hotel again after dinner. We resorted to taking a taxi a few times. This is an expensive option (about 12 euros each way) and if it rains the roads get congested (I thought it rained there all the time) and the taxi would end up taking longer than if we walked. So we would find a good place to get out and walk anyway, but at least we had a ride part way. We enjoyed taking the hop on hop off bus around the city one day.

The free wi-fi is handy, but there are four-word passwords that change daily, and every device needs a separate password every day. At the end of our stay, one of the staff said we should have been given a five day pass--this would have saved time, but we managed and were happy that it was free. The other hotels we stayed at in Ireland all had free wi-fi that was easy to access and once on, stayed on for the duration of the stay.

On two of the four mornings during our stay, our room door was opened by housekeeping while we were still asleep. This woke us up, and frightened us slightly. One time it was at 8:30 and the other time was about 9:00 (we'd been out late at the pubs listening to music). The housekeeper might have knocked first, but we didn't hear a knock, only the door being opened and housekeeping saying "sorry". I travel often and have never had this happen before. My suggestion would be to put a "do not disturb" sign on the door if you prefer to sleep in a little.

Dublin is a beautiful city full of parks, gardens, museums, fun pubs and shopping. I especially loved the cemetery and botanical gardens, which sparkled under blue skies the day we visited. We loved our ten day stay in Ireland, and hope to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tripmama18
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This beautiful home converted to a B&B had a fantastic location. Most comfortable Pillows! & bed. The room I stayed in was cramped but clean. The host was very helpful with a great disposition. Best Breakfast!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014

While it's a bit further from the main tourist sights than we'd hoped, our room at this B&B (in the historic townhouse across the courtyard) was wonderful. Breakfast featured cooked to order items and a buffet that left us set for the day! Lots of recommendations (and reservations) for dining. A perfect place to stay in Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple