“My All-Time Favorite Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Number 31

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dublin
Number 31
Ranked #43 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Los Angeles
“My All-Time Favorite Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during my spring break (I'm a grad student). We saved up for 5 years for this trip to Ireland, so we decided to splurge a little bit on the hotel in Dublin because we wanted a really comfortable place to stay that was convenient to everything we wanted to do, but also had breakfast included in the price. We absolutely loved our accommodations and were sad that we could only afford to stay 2 nights.

Before we really figured out the layout of Dublin, on the first day, we walked in directions that weren't really helpful to anything. However, once we got our bearings, we discovered Hotel 31 is about a 10 minute walk from most of the main districts, and maybe a 20-30 minute walk from Temple Bar. We were loathe to drive in Dublin, we only rented a car for when we went to Limerick after our 2 day stay--so we didn't mind the walking (not even at night). Even in March, and even though we're from Los Angeles, as long as you have a coat, we found it was warm enough and we always felt safe.

The room we stayed in was small, purple, and even though it was kind of sparsely decorated/furnished, it had a really plush and romantic vibe to it. The bathroom was updated with new fixtures and rain showerhead, and it seemed like a fine size to me (I'm 5'4") but my husband (6'2") found it a little small. That's not to suggest the sink and showerhead were oddly low or anything, it's more like, the space in the bathroom felt cramped to him.

A full Irish breakfast is built into the price of the room, and it is, by far, one of the best meals I've ever had (even in restaurant). The Eggs Benedict are amazing at Number 31. Also, the proprietors are so lovely and warm and friendly. The hotel is exceptionally quiet and I found it very beautiful in a retro shabby chic kind of way. The fireplace/pit when you first enter the establishment seems kind of odd at first, but it's really cozy and kind of beautiful. The courtyard we had to walk through to get our room, even though it was outside, didn't bother me at all because it was so lush and green.

There is also free parking. And free internet as well (since this stay at Number 31, I have traveled a lot for conferences and I will never take for granted reliable, free high speed internet again, most places charge, and if they don't, the internet service is spotty at best).

This is honestly one of my favorite hotels (the only competition being the Mercer Hall Inn in Stratford, Canada).

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starkyshark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Enormous Georgian rooms with some original detailing contrasted with modern accessories and palette, a beautiful space with extremely comfortable beds. We have stayed at this lovely hotel at least 4 times. Location is superb as we frequently would walk to Grafton Street or Camden Street. The bus, a great way to get around Dublin stops near by. The hospitality is above reproach, including the time we showed up exhausted with a rental car which Noel, ever the charming host, parked for us. Breakfasts are delicious, there was something for everyone, which makes traveling with extended family so pleasant.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
cape town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

Most welcoming and friendly staff - I was greeted with coffee and cake infront of the open fire - wonderful welcome on a cold, wet and blustery November day!
My room was fine, however would recommend a quick check of the bathroom prior to unpacking. I stayed in Room 10 in the Mews (previous stays have been in the Georgian part of the buidling) - the bathroom had a slight, blocked drain smell; as I always travel with smellie candles in my case, not too much of a problem for me. However, if I had discovered this smell before unpacking, would have checked if an alternative room could be offered. Breakfast is good, with little differences such as stewed rhubarb and strawberries with a hint of cinnamon. Little 'extras' with my poached eggs such as homemade potatoe cake and grilled tomatoe make the difference. And last but not least, the cranberry bread is delightful with a pot of tea - I will be returning to this little gem!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

Just spent 3 nights at Number 31. The hospitality of owner, Noel, and his staff is second to none. Nothing is too difficult to handle. From the moment you walk into Number 31, you feel like you are staying with old friends. Breakfast is included in the price with made to order eggs, fruit, cereals and fresh baked breads. The sauce on the Eggs Benedict is incredible! If you like oatmeal, just ask and you get the fluffiest, creamiest oat meal this side of the Atlantic...add some of the strawberry and rhubarb compote and you start the day in pure heaven!

The rooms (small in typical Euro fashion) are spotless and you will love the feather pillows, good linens and pillow top feather mattresses. Our bathroom had Molton Brown products!!! This place exudes charm. Price was moderate for the location. Number 31 is walkable to all major Dublin sites, but is located in a very Georgian style, quiet neighborhood.

One caveat: ask for a lower floor room. There is no elevator and the stairs are a killer with heavy luggage. All in all thanks to Noel and his staff for making our first trip to Dublin a true pleasure!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Breckenridge, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Ireland and our last days were spent in Dublin. Number 31, and Noel is just an excellent choice of where to stay in Dublin. If you're looking for something special - this is it! The location is fabulous - able to walk everywhere. Noel is so gracious and tends to every need. The property is truly a hidden gem, tucked on a little side street. The entire property is immaculate, beautifully decorated and appointed. Breakfasts are a special treat. We will definitely return and recommend this property to anyone.
The Masuhr's - Breckenridge, CO

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Tennessee, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

This is a rather hard review to write. I had high expectations from all the accolades posted on TA. After a delayed fight from the US into Dublin we arrived at No. 31 in the early afternoon. We were greeted very warmly by Noel, given tea and cake, and a brief rundown on dining and sightseeing options. Our room was number 21 in the big house. It was spacious with comfortable seating and bottled water was available. The bath was very compact with an excellent shower, however the lighting is very "atmospheric". A bit too dim for my taste! I agree with a previous poster that the baths are not designed for female travelers. The beds were very comfortable. Our biggest concern was the amount of noise coming from the street outside. Traffic, both people and cars, went on all night. If we stayed again, we would ask for a room in the coach house. Breakfast was very good and the wait staff were helpful.
Overall, Number 31 is a beautiful location, the garden between the buildings is just lovely, and we would stay again if we could have a room away from the busy street.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lbc54
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

Hhmmm, difficult one this. I chose it for a number of reasons - award-winning breakfast, unique hotel rather than a chain, beautifully appointed Georgian house, location, value for money etc. I was OVERLY excited about the breakfast, but more of that in a minute.

Good location, beautiful building, excellent hosts (almost felt like I was a guest in their home and they couldn't do enough to help) and vaule for money was ok in comparision to every other option in the horribly overpriced Dublin. However...

I had enquired about a twin room that I wanted to share with my American cousin. She's always banging on about space, so I asked what the twin rooms were like. I was told that I could opt for a superior twin room which would afford us more space than the standard (at a higher cost). I took the superior. I was more than a little gobsmacked to discover that the additional space came from the fact that the 'superior' room only had what seemd to be record-breakingly small single beds. No joke, I barely slept as I felt I was about to tumble out. This was SUCH a let down. The room itself was actually really nice. Bathroom was a curious mixture of sturdy, classy and modern three piece suite (well, no bath but a great shower), together with cheap, nasty, flimsy accompaniments. Odd.

The setting is wonderful and location excellent. A lovely garden segues from one part of the building to the other. The buildings are stunning.

As odd as it may seem, the final deciding factor for me choosing Number 31 was the reviews about the breakfasts. What an utter, utter disappointment. I'm not a cereal person and nor do I particularly like fruit first thing in the morning. I was pinning my hopes completely on the wonderful hot, made-to-order breakfast. A big fat bland plate of fried food is what I got (apart from mushrooms - where were the 'shrooms??!!!). Actually, that's not strictly true as it wasn't even big. Within an hour and a half we were sitting down to brunch elsewhere in the city. Really over-rated.

Yes, it's nice, especially as it's not a chain, but it's not exceptional. I think as per other reviews on this site, it's ok but just don't raise your expectations.

Shame.