“Super friendly staff, clean but hated their long stairs and shower system.”
Review of MEC Hostel

MEC Hostel
Ranked #25 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first hostel in our trip. I have to say the worst of the 3 hostels we used. I'll start with the bad things. First the shower was awful, it was either super burning hot or super cold nothing in between so it took me forever to shower. I had a room in the 3rd floor and the stairs seemed to never end. The good things, their staff was super nice and helpful. The rooms got cleaned everyday and we left our things in the room even though we had 3 different couples as roommates (room for 4) and nothing went missing. The location was perfect just to give you a reference we were 5-10 mins away from the Spire in O'Connell st and 10 mins away from Temple and Trinity College. Even though I hated the stairs I would give this hostel a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the showers I totally hated that part. Made me waste a lot of time. Please fix them!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Me and my friends booked out a whole 10 bed dorm for NYE. It was incredibly cheap but really clean and bunkbeds comfy. We were right opposite shower block and never had to queue. Water always warm and considering there were 10 of us thats pretty good. Showers powerful too.
Not much of an atmosphere but we didnt need this being a group of 10. We didnt use the kitchen but it did look a bit dirty and a bit like it needed a revamp. Was a good location and easy to find. Bus stop near by and quiet hostel in terms of not being woken by strret noise etc. A tenner a night...you cannot go wrong

Room Tip: if you have enough friends get a whole dorm to yourselves
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The superior deluxe room we rented ended up being an apartment to our surprise. The finishes were certainly germane with the price, but it was very clean and safe. Even a washing machine! Would definitely recommend to anyone who is traveling as a couple or a small family.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank thefreddys
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived here late in the afternoon after a long day of travel and we were wet, cold and tired. The lady at reception upgraded us to a 4 bed room because me and my friend weren't in a room together. She also sorted out a room for us for Saturday night because we couldn't find anything in Dublin! The rooms were clean and comfy, we had a great stay and would stay there again. Only 10 min from city centre

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really cheap so you shouldn't expect anything more from this hostel than a bed and a roof.
Nothing is absolutely terrible in this hostel but nothing makes it nice either.
Very cold atmosphere in every part of the building
We felt quite uneasy staying there and I wouldn't recommend it.
I've known hostel that were as cheap but far more friendly - try and look for something else if possible.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here for the weekend and it was a lovely place. The staff were friendly there was free wifi (wifi that actually works! Not like in other hostels) The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean. It was close to the city centre and within walking distance of Temple Bar. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bena3011
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A nice budget to stay... very helpful staff who assist fast in check in, provide information and directions to city and airport... need to walk a distance into the city.. large shared rooms, plenty of space for activities if booked the whole room (18pax room)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends