“Lovely area but rooms need work”
Review of Waterloo House

Waterloo House
Ranked #36 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here with our two children recently. The area was a wonderful residential street about 10-15 min walking distance to Grafton Street. My husband and I jogged on this street every morning- lovely. The owner is warm, helpful, and accommodating.

The rooms need updating and renovating. The bathroom had mold on the ceiling- which was painted over but still there. Bed was not comfortable and pillows need to be replaced.

The breakfast was fantastic and so was the nicely decorated breakfast dining room. Staff all were extremely nice.

Considering the room issues, the price was high.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank l0veparis

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I picked this B&B as I wanted somewhere a bit cozier and less formal to stay in Dublin - where I travel regularly and stay occasionally. I wanted something good value, too. An initially quoted 99 euro was quickly negotiated down on the basis of lesser online quotations, to a more reasonable 69 euro. It was generally comfortable and pleasant to stay in and is well located not too far from the city centre - not bang on central but accessible. It was bright clean and airy and quiet and relaxing as one would hope for a B&B. The bedroom was a bit smaller than expected but the bed was comfortable. One of the taps in the bathroom went the opposite way to usual for on and off - a wee bit disconcerting. An early morning call at 5am (presumably ordered by a previous guest) was most unwelcome. I only met one, albeit very pleasant and helpful, staff member who checked me in at night, served me breakfast and then checked me out. Breakfast is officially only served from 8am - which was a bit late for me as I'd travelled up to Dublin to be able to make an 8am meeting. However, the solitary staff member served me a continental breakfast at 7.30. The dining room seemed surprisingly large and looked out on a garden that at another time of year (i.e. not October) might be quite pleasant. I was looking for a pied a terre that I might use in Dublin again and again but I'm not sure this is quite it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great experience. I was in Dublin for a conference and the company booked for me this guest house which is only 15 minutes away from Grafton Street where you have many restaurants and shops.

Really modest but a great service from the staff. Outside the building needs a paint job, but again great service from staff and great breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Elroy T
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The location is wonderful, walking distance to virtually everything in SE Dublin and yet on a nice quiet street - even with the windows open we seldom heard traffic or such. Our room was a little smaller than expected but perhaps it's not often used because the house was completely full. Pillows were quite flat/tired versus what we are used to at a four star location, and there was an issue with the carpet getting soaked in our room due to a leak/condensation along the bathroom wall, eventually extending over to the bed so impossible not to step in if getting off one side of the bed. This had clearly been going on for some time as the carpet was starting to deteriorate, etc. and management stated as such, so in our opinion that room should probably have been taken out of circulation. To their credit, management offered other rooms to us and when that didn't fit our needs also allowed us to leave after 4 nights (versus 7 agreed) without penalty at the 'weekly' rate. On the positive side, the breakfast was wonderful each day, staff was generally very friendly and positive, and the general vibe of the place was good. Would recommend it to a friend, with the above minor caveats.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DTMILLER
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a wonderful bed & breakfast. So many things have already been said in the other reviews (nice location, friendly and competent owner, decent rooms, rich breakfast selection) - they are all true.

I'll keep this short - this comes highly recommended and will be my return address for the next Dublin visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozymandias77
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights as a city break. Good value for money with easy access to city centre and walking distance to sandymount strand. Would definitely recommend it for city break . Staff very friendly and obliging. Free parking comfortable beds good breakfast . Very pleasant stay overall.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Adfq
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I can't say enough lovely things about our stay at Waterloo House. From the wonderful coffee when we arrived after breakfast, but before check-in, to the good beds and really wonderful shower in room 11 (hot HOT water and strong pressure! a treat after long days), strong wi-fi, terrific breakfasts (and more good coffee!) and the friendly, helpful staff... the list goes on and on. The location is fantastic... an easy and safe 10-15 minute walk to the center of things, and you're close to some great restaurants and pubs. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends