“Georgian Elegance”
Review of Waterloo House

Waterloo House
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Waterloo House is an elegant Georgian townhouse with a warm and charming atmosphere.
On arrival, you are greeted with a characterful room with a fire and classical music playing gently in the background. There is free internet access available in here, along with a complimentary copy of the 'Irish Times'. Comfortable sofas and a wide screen TV make it relaxing.
The owner and her staff are friendly, helpful and attentive, creating a pleasant environment in which it is evident everyone works well together. The waiting staff at breakfast deserve a particular mention for their customer service skills.
My en suite room was clean and well presented, with tasteful furniture in keeping with the house's decor. The bathroom was very light, with a large window, rather than being enclosed and 'aired' only by an extractor fan, which is often the case in other hotels.
Because of the age of the house, there are quite a lot of stairs, but there is a lift to facilitate disabled access.
I stayed for an additional two nights, and the owner suggested I remain in the room I already inhabited, which was most convenient.
Waterloo House is about a 20 minute stroll up into town, so you have the advantage of being close to all Dublin offers, but are situated within a quiet, residential street away from any noise.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank R N

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I had a good stay at the Waterloo House. The staff was friendly even if not the most helpful, and the double room was big enough. However, my room was really outdated. The window locks are broken, the bathtub had some black stuff sticking in the bottom, the hairdryer was not working and could be used as a torche instead.

The hotel was close enough to everything I cared about including the Temple Bar area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lucasarn
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We recently stayed here while in Dublin for 2 nights. Evelyn and her staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. The location is perfect and also with parking which is an added bonus. There is a bus route within walking distance should you wish to go into city centre. Breakfast was super really good with a great choice. There are plenty good restaurants/pubs offering great food nearby in the evenings.

Room Tip: The Breakfast menu was excellent and great value for money
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Blarney Castle H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The staff was very nice to store our luggage when we had checked out and went on an all day tour.
I think we met 3 different front desk people and they were all nice. The only knock would be the location makes for a pretty long walk to the town center.nice quiet room. We would stay here again.
Good made- to- order breakfast. It was filling and allowed us to skip lunch.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nashville_Cat77
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The staff entered my room two times after having ignored the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The beds are not comfortable and decor needs to be updated.

I was on the phone with my parents (using FaceTime) and talking at a normal volume won me a noise complaint from my neighbors. Since I'm a single woman and was traveling alone, I went downstairs to face accusations that I was "having a party" and that there was a "man in my room."

1. None of your business
2. No I wasn't

The staff neither apologized nor discounted my stay for their rudeness. I went out to find a different hotel for the second half of my trip, one whose staff was respectful of boundaries and unlikely to accuse me of being a tramp.

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Betsy S
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

This was mine & my partners third time at Waterloo House, we absolutely love Dublin and this place we no longer even bother to look for other hotels to stay in as we know nothing will top this place!

Check in was simple and quick and the breakfasts were amazing as per usual, the staff can't do enough for you! The rooms are lovely, quiet, clean, hot/powerful shower and towels changed daily. Hotel is perfect distance away from a really nice park St Stephens Green if you fancy a couple of hours of peace away from the hustle & bustle and to feed the birds!

During our stay we took the train down to Howth, a lovely fishing village were my partner proposed! :-) Evelyn and the other staff were delighted, bringing us a couple of bottles of champagne to celebrate our engagement! We can't wait to return, we've already started to look at flights for next year!

If you're looking for somewhere quiet, pretty, clean, friendly with amazing Irish breakfasts then this is the place! We didn't bother getting many taxis into the city as we enjoyed the 20 minute or so walk from the hotel, who are more than happy to call a cab for you. So excited to return back to this place I couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hazel H
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Me and my now fiancé stayed at the Waterloo House between 21st and 24th October. Evelyn and all the staff did a wonderful job of taking care of us during our time here.
ROOMS: The rooms were fantastic, big kingsize and comfy bed with a lovely view of the gardens at the back and a clean and spacious bathroom.
BREAKFAST: The food was delicious, a hearty helping of Irish breakfast was the choice for us however there is plenty to choose from served by the warm and friendly staff that work here. Your coffee is refilled as often as you wish and if you want extra anything then just ask.
STAFF: For me it is the staff here (including owner Evelyn) that make this place as good as it is, during our time here we got engaged and that night we had 2 bottles of cold prosecco sent up to the room with a lovely note of congratulations as well as 2 cans of Guinness from the night staff. Everyone is friendly, helpful, hardworking and wants to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
LOCATION: Set in a beautiful area with grand old buildings cerca 1800's close to St Stephens Green & Grafton Street. It is a lovely 20 minute walk into the city centre of 7 euro in a cab.

I think to sum our stay up I would have to say it was perfect, we will absolutely be making another return to the Waterloo House without a shadow of a doubt so much so we are looking already about a return in January 14.

Thank you to everyone at Waterloo House for a fantastic stay and we hope to see you again soon. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple