“A Welcoming and Charming Inn”
Review of Waterloo House

Waterloo House
Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We were on our 1st vacation to Ireland and intentionally did not make advance reservations for any of our 8 nights. As we are in the hotel industry, we were excited about being able to pick and choose as the mood hit us.

The Waterloo was recommended by the Asgard B&B in Galway (another good choice) and we were able to get the last room available. It is easy to see why this property has many regular guests (both business and vacationers), due to the many small touches beginning with the welcome in the oversize parlor. The rooms are unique and not all the same, the amenities are well thought out and the location is great. Within walking distance of almost everywhere in Dublin, one can leave the car there as parking is a challenge in the city.

Breakfast is served in a delightful area on the lower floor with many choices and served by pleasant staff and the owner.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a pleasant view of the street and one can open the windows for fresh air.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoganHospitality
There are newer reviews for Waterloo House

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our room at Waterloo House was perfect for our stay. The fireplace in the room was a nice touch to take the chill out of the December air. The dining area was absolutely beautiful and the food was fantastic. A wonderful introduction to my first visit to Ireland, and my first stay in a guest house or bed & breakfast.

Wifi was available in the room, which made mapping out routes and researching locations easy during the stay. The bus is right down the street and made getting around Dublin easy. Cab fare to Grafton or Brazen Head is only about 10 euro. Well worth it if you want door to door service. We rented a car, and there was plenty of parking available. However, on our next trip, we'll probably just get around by bus. It was so easy and convenient.

Evelyn and her staff were very accommodating during our stay. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front have some road noise, and noise from the front door opening and closing. Howev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Waterloo House is an elegant Georgian townhouse with a warm and charming atmosphere.
On arrival, you are greeted with a characterful room with a fire and classical music playing gently in the background. There is free internet access available in here, along with a complimentary copy of the 'Irish Times'. Comfortable sofas and a wide screen TV make it relaxing.
The owner and her staff are friendly, helpful and attentive, creating a pleasant environment in which it is evident everyone works well together. The waiting staff at breakfast deserve a particular mention for their customer service skills.
My en suite room was clean and well presented, with tasteful furniture in keeping with the house's decor. The bathroom was very light, with a large window, rather than being enclosed and 'aired' only by an extractor fan, which is often the case in other hotels.
Because of the age of the house, there are quite a lot of stairs, but there is a lift to facilitate disabled access.
I stayed for an additional two nights, and the owner suggested I remain in the room I already inhabited, which was most convenient.
Waterloo House is about a 20 minute stroll up into town, so you have the advantage of being close to all Dublin offers, but are situated within a quiet, residential street away from any noise.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank R N
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I had a good stay at the Waterloo House. The staff was friendly even if not the most helpful, and the double room was big enough. However, my room was really outdated. The window locks are broken, the bathtub had some black stuff sticking in the bottom, the hairdryer was not working and could be used as a torche instead.

The hotel was close enough to everything I cared about including the Temple Bar area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lucasarn
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We recently stayed here while in Dublin for 2 nights. Evelyn and her staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. The location is perfect and also with parking which is an added bonus. There is a bus route within walking distance should you wish to go into city centre. Breakfast was super really good with a great choice. There are plenty good restaurants/pubs offering great food nearby in the evenings.

Room Tip: The Breakfast menu was excellent and great value for money
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Blarney Castle H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The staff was very nice to store our luggage when we had checked out and went on an all day tour.
I think we met 3 different front desk people and they were all nice. The only knock would be the location makes for a pretty long walk to the town center.nice quiet room. We would stay here again.
Good made- to- order breakfast. It was filling and allowed us to skip lunch.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nashville_Cat77
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The staff entered my room two times after having ignored the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The beds are not comfortable and decor needs to be updated.

I was on the phone with my parents (using FaceTime) and talking at a normal volume won me a noise complaint from my neighbors. Since I'm a single woman and was traveling alone, I went downstairs to face accusations that I was "having a party" and that there was a "man in my room."

1. None of your business
2. No I wasn't

The staff neither apologized nor discounted my stay for their rudeness. I went out to find a different hotel for the second half of my trip, one whose staff was respectful of boundaries and unlikely to accuse me of being a tramp.

• Stayed: October 2013