“Charming, clean cosy B&B”
Review of Waterloo House

Waterloo House
Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I booked a last minute trip to Dublin, finding this hotel and booking merely a couple days before I arrived. It is a renovated Georgian (2 I think), classic of Dublin. I actually flew in with the owner Evelyn, who recognized me from the plane and said she almost asked me if I was staying there! I decided to try Aircoach (the shuttle service), & won't describe here, but I got dropped off a few (longish but not terrible) blocks from the hotel, and it was cheap--at rush hour (we were stopped in traffic awhile) this saved me a good bit of change. Evelyn said there was a closer one (I would ask in advance if you wanted to take it).

This B&B was a delightful find. It is not in the heart of the city centre, but in a lovely residential neighborhood just a short walk to the city centre and attractions, about 15 minutes to St. Stephan's. Merrion Square is nearby and is a great place to walk as well. There are numerous buses in front and a half a block away, but I always enjoyed walking (granted, I live in a city and walk all the time). Just a half a block away is a main street of shops and cafes and restaurants; when I was there in May, there was a small Tesco I believe (grocery store) as well as a gourmet store where you can pick up various snacks and sundries and even a prepared meal, as I did one night when I was tired. Tea service is in the room.

My room was small (typical of Europe) but extremely comfortable and I thought well appointed for the price point. The room was very clean. A shower stall only, no tub, but very large by European standards. FYI, the hotel provides bath/shower wash rather than bars of soap or shampoo--worked in a pinch but I went and bought some supplies in the store down the street. The bed I thought was very comfortable and the room had a flat screen tv with a few channels. I don't spend a lot of time watching tv, but it is nice to see the weather and to have a little Irish tv on while you plan your next day or fall asleep. Free wifi works well in the rooms.

Breakfast is served in a large breakfast room, part of which is a lovely atrium that of course all the guests want to sit in. The atrium overlooks a garden and occasionally a dog or two (who are very interested in breakfast), which I find delightful. There's a buffet at breakfast with fruit and yogurt, juice and water. You can order a full or mini-Irish breakfast or bread basket. The full and mini Irish were delicious. My last morning I left obscenely early, long before breakfast started. The extremely helpful morning worker, whose name I forget!, offered to make me anything, and when I declined, she brought me some delicious brown bread that I started making at home I loved it so much. There is also a common lounge upstairs, not terribly big, but has some comfy seats for s short sit. There's an elevator, but I always took the stairs. My room was at the front of the hotel, above the front door, but I did not find it noisy.

Everyone was incredibly helpful and gracious at the hotel, very friendly and happy to answer questions or make arrangements such as a taxi to the airport. One of them even gave me a stamp and refused to let me pay for it. All in all, if you like a cosy, comfortable B&B that provides a delightful neighborhood experience just a short walk from the main attractions, this place is for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelGal401
There are newer reviews for Waterloo House

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in February 2014. Pleasant location, close to a range of pubs, restaurants and a few shops. Easy walking distance to a number of parks and greens. Main shopping and entertainment areas are also walkable though a bus stop is conveniently located just outside. Convenient for Aviva stadium. Rooms clean and comfortable and the staff could not be more helpful. Lovely breakfast choice served in a bright conservatory. Steep steps to entrance but lift once inside. Very comfortable hotel. Highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I would highly recommend this wonderful hotel. The staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful. The rooms were immaculate and the bed was one of most comfortable I've slept in. Great freshly cooked breakfast too. I could not have asked for more. Must say was really pleasantly surprised. I will definitely be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was living in Waterloo for two weeks when I started my job in Dublin.
The staff of W was always very accommodating and whenever I had any problems or questions, I was always helped and advised.
The rooms are very cosy the atmosphere is quite romantic.
The breakfast buffet was always delicious.
I would recommend staying in Waterloo House for your vacation, business trip or just a weekend away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Perfect location for our visit to RDS.Bit chaotic on arrival as had confirmed bookings for 3 rooms but only 1 had been reserved.Soon sorted as rooms were available.Rooms comfortable.Very good breakfast although 9 30 early finish for a Sunday morning.Helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We were on our 1st vacation to Ireland and intentionally did not make advance reservations for any of our 8 nights. As we are in the hotel industry, we were excited about being able to pick and choose as the mood hit us.

The Waterloo was recommended by the Asgard B&B in Galway (another good choice) and we were able to get the last room available. It is easy to see why this property has many regular guests (both business and vacationers), due to the many small touches beginning with the welcome in the oversize parlor. The rooms are unique and not all the same, the amenities are well thought out and the location is great. Within walking distance of almost everywhere in Dublin, one can leave the car there as parking is a challenge in the city.

Breakfast is served in a delightful area on the lower floor with many choices and served by pleasant staff and the owner.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a pleasant view of the street and one can open the windows for fresh air.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoganHospitality
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our room at Waterloo House was perfect for our stay. The fireplace in the room was a nice touch to take the chill out of the December air. The dining area was absolutely beautiful and the food was fantastic. A wonderful introduction to my first visit to Ireland, and my first stay in a guest house or bed & breakfast.

Wifi was available in the room, which made mapping out routes and researching locations easy during the stay. The bus is right down the street and made getting around Dublin easy. Cab fare to Grafton or Brazen Head is only about 10 euro. Well worth it if you want door to door service. We rented a car, and there was plenty of parking available. However, on our next trip, we'll probably just get around by bus. It was so easy and convenient.

Evelyn and her staff were very accommodating during our stay. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front have some road noise, and noise from the front door opening and closing. Howev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple