“Perfect weekend stay”

Ranked #32 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, England
“Perfect weekend stay”
Reviewed 19 March 2007

This B&B had received stirling reviews on TripAdvisor, which influenced my decision to book three double rooms for a long weekend in Dublin to celebrate a 60th birthday. We were not disappointed. Located in leafy, well-to-do Ballsbridge, a 15-minute walk from the city centre, it was lovely and quiet—a real plus point as we'd heard the centre could be raucous in the evenings. The breakfast was delicious; the service was excellent. We were left to our own devices (a good thing in our book) and the rooms were adequately equipped with tv, hairdryer, tea/coffee etc and cleaned immaculately every day. The only minor quibble is that the rooms were quite warm—we turned our radiator off. I would definitely recommend this accommodation, and if you can, pay a visit to Roly's down the road—the perfect restaurant for a celebration.

• Liked — Location; peace and quiet; breakfast
  • Disliked — Heating on constantly
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Londonbadger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Bristol
Reviewed 23 January 2007

We have just returned from a 3 night break at Waterloo House and would definitely recommend it. Whilst the hotel is situated slightly out of town, it is just a 15 minutes walk from St Stephens Square and other city centre attractions (8 euros in a taxi) and on the local and airport bus routes.

The welcome and service was exceptional, and having rang the management, prior to our visit, to advise that we were celebrating our engagement that weekend, at our request they went the extra mile and provided rose, champagne and chocolates in our room (although not free I'd hasten to add). The choice of breakfast was good - full irish, catch of the day, french toast or porridge, and the room was clean, with replacement towels and toiletries every day. If you don't want to venture too far on an evening, there are several shops, bars and restaurants just round the corner. I would definitely recommend Roly's Restaurant if you don't mind spending a little extra, having won several awards for its food and value for money, which is just 10 minutes walk from the guest house.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Netball7
Ireland
Reviewed 4 December 2006

My wife and I, along with my father and some other members of my family stayed at Waterloo Hse on Saturday 02/12/06.

The friendly ambience really meets you as soon as you open the front door, first impressions last for ever and that will be true of this establishment.

Check-in was quick and the reception staff are more than friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and spacious, tastefully decorated and warm. Same can be said for the en-suite's.

The rooms are supplied with tea\coffee and biscuits which are a nice personal touch when you arrive after a long journey and you just want to sit down and have a nice cup of tea\coffee.

The breakfast was superb with plenty of choice whether you are an Irish\European\International traveller, there was choice to suit your taste.

There is a visitor information pack in each room which is very ideal if you are a first-time visitor to dublin, which I was not.

Waterloo Hse also provides safe off-street parking for residents, which I found essential when searching for my choice of guesthose.

The location is about 10-15 mins walk from St.Stephen's Green just outside the city centre in a quiet suburb. The location was superb whether you are a social\business traveller.

Ms Corcoran the proprieter of this Guesthouse was very friendly and helpful. Her friendliness gives the guesthouse a very personal and welcoming touch.

I have stayed in lots of hotels over the last year, yet none of them had the friendly atmosphere of Waterloo House.

Overall I would highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone thinking of coming to Dublin. I will certainly will be returning again, as I said before, first impressions last forever.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank Olliebhoy
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 November 2006

I was checking out your website for future travel plans and wanted to see what people where saying about places I have stayed. I've stayed at Waterloo House several times in the last 6 or 7 years when I've visited Dublin. I've always liked this guesthouse because it's beautiful, handy, comfortable and home like. It's in a great neighborhood, close to a nice park with a beautiful lake, and I love to walk. The homes in the area are georgeous old Georgians that I enjoy strolling by. It's close enough to the city center (about 10 mintues by taxi or 15 by bus) without all the craziness that goes along with being in the center. Each time I visit there seems to be several interesting restaurants that have opened within walking distance of the Guesthouse. The staff has always been quite pleasant and helpful, the food has always been good and I will continue to go there on my visits to Dublin.

• Liked — It is both comfortable and beautiful
  • Disliked — I can't really think of anything I didn't like.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't drive when you stay there you can easily walk or take a bus or taxi.
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
7 Thank retiredcaptain
california
Reviewed 10 November 2006

My wife and I usually follow The Lonely Planet guide book for reccomendations. Most of the time they are dead on. For the budget traveler, The Lonely Planet is spot on... Waterloo is not a low budget accomadation- So, I was very happily suprised to find a very tidy, spacious elegant B&B right in the heart of Balsbridge.
Our room was big and comfortable for a B&B room. I must say I am not really a B&B guy (not into the frilly decor, close quarters of roomies, and of course, breakfast social hours).
Our room had a super comfy giant King Sized Bed with a huge neat fireplace that we used every night...very romantic...
We traveled with two other couples, Chet and Savanah. We would meet at 8:00 am for waffles, porridge, fresh fruit, strong-jittery strength coffee to motivate us for the rest of the day.
Very big breakfast area with a cool outside patio seating area.
Great staff, host- Ms. Evelyn Corcoran was helpful and accomadating. We will return to Waterloo. Thanks.

Trevor and Annah.

• Liked — size and cleanliness
  • Disliked — too much food
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
13 Thank chicoc
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 31 October 2006

Our stay at Waterloo House was very comfortable, the staff were charming and helpful. Yes there was a plumbing problem but when reported in, I hope, a civil manner we were informed that they had had the plumber out on several occasions and that he was having dificulty sorting the problem. How many times has that happened to anyone at home and with unsympathetic plumbers? We were over the moon when we recieved a telephone call from the Hotel manager to inform us that they had managed to get the problem sorted, what service!
We would most definately stay at Waterloo House again, it is ideally situated to walk into the city, and to travel to the countryside. The food is good and beautifully served. Keep up the good work we look forward to visiting you again!

Mike Robinson, Nottinghamshire.

• Liked — staff, cleanliness, and comfort
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
10 Thank mikerobinson
Yeovil
Reviewed 27 October 2006

We had a problem - there was no hot water, it stopped during my wifes shower. The responce from the management was poor. We arranged to talk to the manager before we left and agreed to meet at 6:00. The manager did not arrive and our compliant was not dealt with satisfactorily. - Poor service, accommodation O.K . Location OK 15 minute walk to centre (or close to No10 Bus stop)

We stayed for 3 nights in October 2006.

M.Pope (Somerset)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor management
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends