“Dusty but quaint”

Schoolhouse Hotel
Ranked #30 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Dusty but quaint”
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Boutique hotel with character. Could not fault cleanliness of bathroom but bedroom needs serious dusting. Lots of cobwebs hanging from four poster bed. Really liked the concept of hotel but a pity as we were awake all night sneezing

• Stayed April 2012
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Alough,

Many thanks for your review. We have addressed the issues you raised with our accommodation team. We are confident that this was an isolated incident & would hope that at some point you would make a return visit to the Schoolhouse.

Kind Regards

Jenny Mulligan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Finnish first
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Myself and my friend stayed in the schoolhouse hotel due to its closeness to the O2 arena where we were going to see a concert. However, we did not expect the outstanding service tha we received at the hotel. We experienced true luxury at an unbelievable bargain and the staff were simply fantastic. There is always someone there day and night to help you in anyway that they can.

I would definitely recommend the School House Hotel to anyone who is looking for accomodation so close to bot h the O2 and the city centre or to anyone who simply wants to treat themselves to some affordable luxury!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Having stayed in multiple hotels in the Ballsbridge area, I must say that the Schoolhouse Hotel is above average for the area, particularly for the price range. However, beware of the paper-thin walls, particularly in the basement rooms. (I've stayed on the ground floor rooms before as well and didn't remember the walls being this thin). In the basement room I stayed in this week, I could hear the lady in the room next door cough all night. Also the bath tub is very small and shallow. If you want to say in the Ballsbridge area, this is still way better than the other options though!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Hello Zana,

Many thanks for taking the time to pop your comments online regarding your recent stay, your feedback is much appreciated.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused by the guest next door. It is actually very unusual as generally our guests comment on the peaceful aspect of the bedrooms here in The Schoolhouse, particularly as we are located so close to the centre of the city.

I have a great team here who always aim to ensure each guest enjoys their time with us so I am delighted to see that you would choose The Schoolhouse when staying in the Ballsbridge area.

Again thank you for your comments and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Schoolhouse in the near future.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night at the end of our trip. Pretty cool place. It really is an old school house redone into a big b&b/hotel.

Rooms are very nice - clean and unique.

Price was about right relative to other options. Not cheap but not the most expensive and priced right as it's high quality.

Breakfast was so so. Not terrible but not the reason to stay here.

Service was good. I could tell that I annoyed the lady as we were checking in but in her defense I can be very annoying.

• Stayed April 2012
Hello Sara,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. The Schoolhouse Hotel is extremely unique as it was originally St Stephens School and was very carefully converted into a hotel in 1998, keeping many of the original features such as the fire places in the bar & restaurant.

All of our bedrooms are also individually named, each using different William Morris designs which makes them quite unique throughout Dublin.

I would be very eager to confirm which member of staff did check you in if you could let me know please? The team and I pride ourselves on the service which we provide to our guests so I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Again thank you for your feedback.

Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My friend and I stayed just last week, and had a great time. The hotel is great if you're looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing place to unwind after a busy day of exploring. Easily walkable to Grafton Street and Temple Bar area. It really felt more like a B&B.
We arrived on an 8 AM flight from Chicago on Easter Sunday, so understandably a room was not yet available when we arrived, but we were able to complete the check-in process and store our bags until a room was available (when we returned from our wanderings around 1 PM). Our room (216) was cozy and welcoming, and nice and clean.
Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AuntGwennie
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We found the receptionist Claire very helpful and she gave us a good welcome on our arrival. The hotel is 15 mins walk to the city centre which I think is a good thing as your away from the crowds.
We ate in both the bar and restaurant and found both to be very nice with no complaints.
I just can't put my finger on why I've not given it top marks - it just lacked any atmosphere. The bar was dead on both nights and the restaurant was like a church yard. This place has no soul.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Co Tipperary
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We had a lovely time, staff very helpful and friendly. Hotel was excellent in general and food was top class looking forward to going back.
Maurice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Maurice,

Just a little note to say thank you for your kind comments, your feedback is much appreciated.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Schoolhouse in the near future.