“A quaint hotel!”
Review of Schoolhouse Hotel

Schoolhouse Hotel
Ranked #27 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We visit Dublin alot but first time in the schoolhouse hotel.....would definitely visit again! Class hotel & lovely staff! We sat outside in a lovely wee garden drinking wine and watching the city traffic moveby! Bliss!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My friend and I stayed 4 nights in the Old Schoolhouse Hotel. We enjoyed our stay very much: the staff was very, very friendly and always helpful, the room was spacious and clean, the bed very comfortable with good pillows and blankets. Fresh tea/coffee every day, as well as cookies. The location of the hotel is just perfect, a 10-minute-walk from the city centre. If we were tired of walking, we could easily reach a bus station just outside the hotel. Breakfast was absolutely ok. We would love to come back one day!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at the Schoolhouse for 5 days. I was in Dublin for business reasons and I found this hotel to be well worth the stay. It is quiet; the rooms are large and the food is excellent. It is an easy walk into the center of town. I took the breakfast option and was not disappointed. I ate in the restaurant for dinner; it was delicious. I also ate in the pub which has some of the same menu items as the restaurant. My favorite were the duck spring rolls which I ordered twice. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend the Schoolhouse hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2014

During a two week, six city European vacation, our room at the Schoolhouse Hotel was the nicest of any hotel in which we stayed. The room was large, well-furnished, clean and comfortable. The one negative about the room was the shower--the shower head was oddly situated in the bathtub and taking a shower was not an enjoyable experience as a result of this. It was a small issue but the one negative of our stay. Hotel receptionists were friendly and helpful. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the city center and a 45 minute walk to the Guiness Storehouse. Dublin's public transportation network did not appear to be robust--it only consisted of a bus network which, in our two day stay, did not seem to be convenient. We relied on walking and taxis. The hotel restaurant and bar are neat spaces but the waiters/waitresses at the restaurant acted less professionally that I would've expected. Overall, I'd stay at the Schoolhouse again.

Room Tip: Each room is named after an influential person in Ireland's history. We stayed in the Arthur Gu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SchoolhouseHotel, General Manager at Schoolhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Charles,

Many thanks for your recent review of the Schoolhouse Hotel. To say we were the nicest of all the hotels you had visited throughout your six week European vacation is very high praise indeed. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Dublin.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

As a retired headteacher, I was especially excited to be staying in an old school building and I was not disappointed. The building itself is full of character - the restaurant and bar are particularly memorable. Nearly all of the rooms are in extensions, but these have been tastefully done. Our room was large and well equipped - with an interesting bathroom - and had a patio door to a garden area. The weather wasn't good enough to make use of this, but would have been great in the summer.

The staff in all areas were friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant and in the bar was great and good value for money.

We walked into town every day and also walked to the RDS for a show, so it was a perfect location for us (especially as the airport coach stops right outside!). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to review our property. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the effort made throughout the property to maintain the feel and character of the old Schoolhouse. Thank you also for your kind comments in relation to our staff. It would be lovely to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I didn't stay here but I did have a meal in the restaurant. The main course, which was a burger was not very nice, it was overcooked and a little hard. This may have been a once off, so I will allow them a pardon for that. I had creme brûlée for dessert which was out of this world. The restaurant was beautiful and make use of the old classroom look. It was dimly lit, romantic and a nice place to be. The staff were nice, and friendly too. It is just a pity the main course was not too nice, however I only had one item on the menu so it may not have been the case for the rest of the food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your recent review of our restaurant. I was sorry to read that although you mention the Crème Brulee was out of this world, the restaurant was beautiful and the staff were friendly, the one thing that let the experience down was a dry burger. I can assure you that this was definitely a once off as our burgers are one of our most popular dishes in both the bar and the restaurant area. I would hope that this one thing would not deter you from visiting us in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed 1 night, would have liked a second night.. anyway, loved it, old quaint building full of character and im sure loads of history. Located ideally, just out of city centre, walking distance to Bord Gais theatre, aviva stadium an alittle further on, Rds to name a few. Room cosy, nicely decorated, very comfortable all round. Bar area spacious and staff very attentitive. We didnt have dinner there (had a booking elsewhere), but their menu looks very interesting/tasty an with very good offers there, superb wine list too. Breakfast delicious, hubbie had typical Irish cooked breakfast an if you can say an Irish fry could be healthy, it certainly looked like one (I.e. not dripping r swimming in grease), I had the buffet an very happy with choice an quality there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple