“Worst hotel ever”

The Bonnington Dublin
Ranked #116 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The regency hotel is definitely the worst hotel ever, I'd rather stay in a prison cell.
Holes around the boarding of the room, rust and stains everywhere, curtains don't close, shower glued onto the wall. room directly above smokers area, constantly stinks of smoke if window open. Above the private function area where music goes on till late, so loud the floor vibrated. Complained yet no apology. Also asked to move room, they reckon they'd over booked and there was no spare room. Not worth the money at all. Don't waste your time. Would never recommend and definitely never stay here again. Good luck if you do!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Emily9001
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

After reading the reveiws of this place - I was dreading it. So what did I find. Pleasant & helpful staff. A great room with a wonderful vew over Dublin. Breakfast was basic but did the job,. The bar staff could have been a bit more switched on, The racket outside the front of the hotel at chucking out time was horrendous. But would I stay here again? for the price? yes?.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FlannoUk
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Due to random flight delays, I stayed at this place two separate times during my short Ireland visit. It was the cheapest hotel I could find with last minute availability.

The service was actually pretty good, the staff quite friendly and helpful, but overall the hotel itself was rather shabby. Carpets were old, bed was springy, lighting was dim. It was also a long walk from the parking lot to the entrance.

The first time I was there I got a room in the newer(?) wing, and it did have a nice shower tub. But the second time I got a tiny room in the old creepy wing, tucked in a corner. The elevator up was slow and wobbly, the floors were creaky and un-level. I also got lost through random corridors when taking the stairs down. The hotel kinda reminded me of the movie The Shining, but the maze was indoors.

This place would make a great setting for some sort of haunted mansion event for Halloween!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank capsacin
Reviewed 19 June 2014

After being let down very badly by a 4star hotel on the 16th June me and the hubby ended up staying here for our romantic getaway. Not very swanky or romantic to be honest, definitely not posh. But truth is we were desperate, all of Dublin was pretty much booked up solid due to fab weather and world flower show being on. I was really looking forward to this much needed time alone with the hubby. And to say I was disappointed with this hotel was an understatement. However, after a night arguing and crying we decided to make the best of things as we couldn't Change our flights home and would be here for 3 more nights. We ended up having a brilliant time, Dublin was great, people very friendly, hotel, although a little drab and difficult getting served in the bar/restaurant at times, they tried there best, and at least they treated us better than the very expensive hotel that we were originally going to be staying in. Beware no A/C room was hot.

Room Tip: Although the rooms at the back are not so nice they are quieter and cooler.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loraine B
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My booking said "superior room", I don't know if there is a standard definition of superior room on BudgetPlaces.com or not, however I am sure that whoever labelled the room I was given as "superior" had never seen it!!
I have stayed in this room before (twice), in an "executive" room (excellent) and a "standard" room, (fine). This was in the old part of the hotel, the room was very hard to find, this was not helped by the terrible directions I was given by reception staff, I had to return to get clarification as I felt that they had sent me to the wrong part of the hotel. On emerging from the lift, I saw a large hole in the plasterwork on the wall, then the ceiling also had a hole in it. When I found my room I got a shock, it was clearly the smallest room I have ever stayed in, there was just enough space to squeeze around each side. It overlooked the front of the hotel but the view was obscured by a series of concrete pillars. Outside the window there were cigarette butts and litter. The bed was old with some kind of mattress topper, it was comfortable enough though. The bedroom furniture was tired and faded, with the wood varnish cracked. The tv was an old portable, however the channels were available but watching the world cup from the bed was difficult as the screen was so small. Was it worth the €60 I paid, in hindsight I would say no. You would get better value in a b and b.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT in the original old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank turasoir1
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed in room 1136 (I think) for two nights (Friday and Sat 6-7 June). The second night was the problem. Generally the room was OK. There was a sign saying refurbishment was in progress, but I did not expect the sink tap to be unfastened to the sink, the bath soap holder not fastened at all, the bath tap cover just placed on and the shower coming out of an unfinished hole in the wall. The toilet seat was also loose. However, they all worked and everything clean so it was OK for us for two nights.

On the Saturday night, however, I feel we were let down by the hotel management. The hotel does wedding receptions and one was taking place. At 12 midnight the music from just below our room was very loud. I appreciated it was a wedding, so was tolerant and thought it would probably end at 12:30 am. Instead the music got noticeably louder. Small objects on the shiny surface of the bedside table were being moved by the base sounds! We could literally feel the music.

At 12:55 am my tolerance ran out so I rang reception and asked when the music was stopping. "Now" I was told. Just to check I asked if he meant "now" as in 1 am. he confirmed this. At 1:20 am I phoned again. I was told he had been informed that it was ending in 10 minutes. At 1:35 am it ended - for us. Unfortunately for those located at the front of the hotel it was just the start as inebriated guests apparently made a lot of noise,until around 3 am and many stopping at the hotel were also extremely loud. I was told this by other guests at breakfast.

I complained to the receptionist Sunday morning (7 June). He seemed surprised it had ended at 1:35 am as the hotel only had the license for music until 12:30 am. He made a note of my complaint in a book and we left at 9 am to continue our trip tired, and red eyed.

So, you may be lucky and have no functions or be in a room that is unaffected (some guests in 1132 were only slightly disturbed apparently). The least I expect from a hotel is a good nights sleep (and the room to be finished) but this hotel failed.

Room Tip: Check if there are any functions going on and if so avoid a room near the function room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We loved meeting the staff who were exceptional. The hotel is functional and the Executive Rooms are really lovely. It is a tour group hotel so can be noisy in the corridors and it is out of the city centre and taxis are expensive, but the bus service is excellent and reasonably priced. You can catch a regular bus to and from the airport very cheaply. The selling point is the staff - incredibly helpful, great sense of humour and very funny - it is a joy to drink in the bar with the fabulous bar staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the end of the corridor at the back of the hotel and upgrade to Executive room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple