“You really need to enjoy it for what it is”

The Regency Hotel Dublin
Ranked #117 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ballyclare, United Kingdom
“You really need to enjoy it for what it is”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Read lots of poor reviews after booking. I stayed some years back and didn't remember anything to worry about.
Booked the 2 night BB and one EM deal. I have to say it was super value,with free use of the leisure club. Had a renovated room so that probably helped. Centra right next door which is a bonus. 15 euros taxi to town
Food was basic school dinners style, the bar was busy and reasonably priced. Staff were all friendly.
Saturday nights entertainment was good. The place was buzzing so it must be doing something right
I would have no hesitation returning..

mpo

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mpo8000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a 2 night weekend break with family. First impressions of the exterior of the hotel aren't great, it looks old but the leisure end of the complex seems to be recently developed. Check in was a chore, 3pm queue through reception to be expected I suppose, as that is check in time. Was worried about getting an old room as some of the reviews on here had mentioned but had no complaints about it. Very spacious, clean with a bath and a shower. Happy enough so far. Took my son to the pool on both days and it's very impressive. Probably the best I have seen in a hotel I've stayed in. We didn't use any spa facilities but it had all the usual sauna, steam room and treatments. We ate in the bar both nights, food is absolutely fantastic and reasonably enough priced for a hotel. Jozepf deserves a mention, excellent service and nothing was too much trouble. An extra nice touch is the movie night they run for kids at 7pm, supplying popcorn and juice.

The one thing that ruined this break for us was the noise at night. On the Friday night just as I'm about to close my eyes, live music starts in the room next door.. (No it wasn't actually the room next door, but it may as well have been). I went down to reception but couldn't be moved as there were only rooms on the 1st & 2nd floor closer to the music. We were on the 4th floor so 1st & 2nd floor rooms were probably vibrating. I was extremely cross by 10.00pm as my 3 year old son was still awake and like a bear with a sore head. Music eventually subsided at 12.30am. Had the same problem on the 2nd night with noise although this time just inconsiderate guests rather than the hotels fault. In what planet is it ok to sing at the top of your voice while walking the corridor at 3am? Then around half an hour later someone thought it ok to play music on their tv in the middle of the night. Luckily enough the tv is volume restricted but it was still loud enough to keep me awake.

Disappointingly those few incidents ruined a lovely break with my family. I don't know how hotels can get away with hosting functions with loud music and noise knowing that it will effect their paying guests trying to sleep at night. But for the noise this would have been a 5* review.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lauren C
mayo
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed 2 nights midweek with my sister and niece. Check in was not very good,I am assuming is was a new girl that greeted me and she seemed shy and didn't know really what to do she was hiding behind her post, i gave my name and i eventually was given a check in form after her colleague joined her to give her guidance. He was very uncooperative in guiding her in what to do. I was asked to pay and given key cards and that was it. I then had to ask all the questions 1 could I have a receipt 2 Where was the pool 3 Where was the restaurant,breakfast times etc.I am in the industry myself that is all standard information that should be given on check in.
We booked "dinner" in the restaurant that evening. We were on a package deal, but the main course we received Smoked Cod was not fit for a dog, it was disgusting i picked out 4 bones in the first bite covered in a tasteless sauce the mash was grey. The girl that served us offered me a panini or something she told me that we weren't the first to hand back a full plate.
I didn't even bother going for breakfast on either morning as i didn't want to go through that again. However this hotel has potential the pool area is really nice we had a refurbed room and it was fine nothing special but it was clean and spacious and had a fresh feel to it. Some of the staff we encountered were lovely Barbara looked after the kiddies movie one evening a lovely lady and Jozeph in the bar was really nice and friendly. I think i might return but i don't think i could dine in it even though i did see some of the bar food come out and it did look more appetizing .

Room Tip: a newly refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We moved room 3 times before we got something we could stay in. The new rooms are ok, and I understand if you are lucky enough to stay there first off that you would think it was a great hotel, but the older part is awful. Backpackers would put up with it because it was cheap but .. it is not cheap so they don't go. Awful. Old, dirty..... dreadful is the only word.

Room Tip: Hotel is in an excellent location with easy access to the airport and city. It is super that way. Th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank andkidsmake6
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I had a business meeting in Dublin, so decided to have it at this hotel and then stop the night with the wife.
The staff were excellent during the meeting. The food was good and the location to get to and from town and the airport couldn't have been better. But the hotel was awful. The rooms still smelled of cigarettes despite it being non smoking since 2011. The furniture was worn and grubby and the outside needs a serious lick of paint. This hotel could be fantastic but only will be with a bit of investment from its owners.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Phil A
Portadown
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had a fantastic weekend break with the kids here. The staff are very friendly, our room was beautiful, very clean and the food was really good. We are already sorting a date to return. Some of the reviews scared me before I went but to be honest I haven't one complaint from our weekend. I would recommend this hotel !!!!

Room Tip: Our room was located on the new side of the hotel it was decorated beautiful and had the most amazin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dingli, Malta
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was nice, comfortable,clean, everyone was very helpfully and friendly. Not all the rooms have air condition so if you want AC in your room specify it. Breakfast was continental and English fantastic and keeps you till evening. I think if I will go to Dublin I will stay in this hotel again. Bus stop is very near to go to city just a couple of minutes. Well done regency the upgrade is good.

Room Tip: Ask for new area and with ac.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family