“Rude Staff, mediocre food and terrible attitude.”

The Bonnington Dublin
Ranked #120 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Myself and my wife stayed here over a long weekend to dublin. We chose to stay here as it was nearby the city centre adn thought it cheaper than staying within the city. On arrival I followed the signs for customer carpark only to have my car bounced off 3 insanely large speed bumps. The Bumps scraped all along the underside of my car and bumper. When i Informed managment they didn't show much interest merely stating that the bumps are sign-posted. However The sign says "speed ramps" not "3 brick walls in the middle of the road" Our room was average for the money, however I would rather pay less considering how rude the staff are. They are more interested in talking amongst themselves than seeing to the customer. ON waking the first morning we went to drive into the city for some shopping. When i reached my car I noticed a leak underneath, on inspection the tray which protects the oil-sump on my car had been torn open by the speed ramps, causing the oil to leak from my engine. Managment waived any responsibility for this, leaving me to front the 250 euro bill myself in the garage down the road. What gives them the right to do this? Its completely outrageous, yet no manner of talking and debating with them yielded any result. I noticed the baldy-headed manager split the scene every time I approached him, leaving me to deal with his less-than-competent employees. A truely dreadful and angering experience in this hotel, they have no interest in the customer, only your money.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

Myself and my partner spent a weekend in the Regency Hotel in January and we would never recomend it to anyone !
First of all - staff very rude, unpleasant and they don't give [-] about anything.
Room cleanness very poor.
Food very awful - I got a food poisoning on a first day.
Gym in the basement - dirty, scruffy and there was something floating in the pool !!!

If you like the above go to Regency Hotel !!!!!!!!

1  Thank szakal69
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I regularly enjoy a visit the public bar, restaurant and leisure facilities of this hotel. According to hotel staff in December 09 there was an issue with handbag snatchers in the grounds who were driving away at speed. However they have installed a speed bump which they say resolves this.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Regencymanager, Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2010

Thank you for your review regarding our Hotel.
The Regency Hotel has introduced traffic calming measures on our private road in response to both speeding and failing to stop at a STOP sign. This was done in an effort to reduce the possibility of a road traffic accident and also to ensure the safety of our Guests and Patrons while entering and exiting the Hotel. The measures introduced are completely legal and will not damage any vehicle which adheres to the speed limit.
The Residents of an Apartment Complex at the rear of the Hotel, that have access via our private road have orchetrated a campaign against the traffic calming measures. They have posted a notice in the public areas of the Apartment Complex urging People to post negative reviews of our Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are currently seeking legal action against the people responsible for this campaign of intimidation, and the matter has been reported to An Garda Siochana, the Irish Police Force.

Reviewed 22 January 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a weekend break. Location very good and close to the airport and close to the city centre but I will never return to this hotel again. Some of the staff were very unfriendly when asked some questions and the food was very poor too.

1  Thank ian12342010
Reviewed 22 January 2010

If you are using your own car to travel to the Regency please be careful of the ramps - there are three very sharp ramps on the way to the car park. These can cause a lot of damage to the bottom of your car, particularly if you have a low car. Management at the hotel claim these are for reducing speed and making the hotel more secure - however damage to vehicles can not be accepted. Just be careful.

Stayed: January 2010

The Regency Hotel has introduced traffic calming measures on our private road in response to vehicles both speeding and failing to adhere to a STOP sign. This was done in an effort to reduce the possibility of a road traffic accident and more importantly as a measure of safety for our Guests and Patrons. The measures are completley legal and will not damage any vehicle that adheres to the speed limit.

Reviewed 22 January 2010

While this hotel boasts a location close to the city, it offers very little else. They have a ridiculous amount of speed bumps leading up to the carpark, 5 in total on a small stretch of road, which are insanely rough and steep, and damaged the underside of my car and bumper. When I informed management they didn't seem to care at all, and fobbed me of with saying that the speed limit is posted on the sign. Truth is i was doing less than the indicated 5km/h on the sign and still damaged my car, I'd hate to think what would've happened at that speed. Would not recommend to anyone after such an experience and lack of interest in the customer - try the Skylon hotel 5 mins down the road towards the city.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

The Regency Hotel has a lot to offer all Guests. Not only are we close to the City and the Airport we have also undergone a major refurbishment in the last 2 years which has given us an exceptional product which is hard to beat at todays rates. We have a state of the art Leisure Club which is available complimentary for all Guests along with excellent bedroom and dining facilities.
The Regency Hotel has introduced traffic calming measures on our private road in response to vehicles both speeding and failing to adhere to a STOP sign. These measures were put in place for the safety of our guests and patrons and in an effort to reduce the possibility of a road traffic accident. The measures introduced are legal and will not damage any vehicle that adheres to the speed limit. The Residents of an Apartment Complex at the rear of the Hotel, who have access via our private road, have started a campaign against these measures, including the posting of a notice in the public areas of the Apartment Complex urging people to post negative reviews on TripAdvisor. We would like to advise all Guests that we are currently seeking legal action against the persons behind this campaign of intimidation and the matter has already been reported to An Garda Siochana, the Irish Police Force. We hope to have a resolution very soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2010

My wife and I are fairly well travelled and usually are okay with a 3 star hotel, especially when we don't plan on spending much time in the room. For example, we always choose the cheap inside cabin when we do cruises. In our opinion, this hotel is a 2 star motel. We were given a "renovated" room, and I can't imagine what a non-renovated room would be like. Our tour company that booked us told us it wasn't worth upgrading to a better hotel, because they said the Regency was a good place to stay. We firmly disagree with their opinion. Here's why...

The front desk was not cordial; the room smelled like smoke; the hallways are narrow, dark and looked dingy; the furniture was stained and scratched; no air control so the room was stuffy and hot; the toiletries were sad; the bed hard and uncomfortable with low quality beddings; no safe; we saw an ant by the coffee fixings; my wife thought she had seen the moving shadow of a mouse one morning; the hotel IS a drive away from the city action; the toilet had stains on the outside upon check-in, let's leave it at that; and the stairway exit door didn't close entirely leaving one to feel unsafe, as anyone could have strolled on in and up to the rooms. I can go on about how the carpet didn't match up to the wall and how the walls are thin, but do you get the point by now?

Do yourself a huge favor and pay extra for a more proper hotel in the city itself. It will be well worth it. I suggest the Hilton Conrad near St. Steven Green. We had a very nice stay there and for a special Priceline rate of $160 USD, it was well worth it.

2  Thank VacationDude

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel.
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The Regency Hotel is far from a 2 star Motel, having recently undergone a major refurbishment to all public areas and Guest Rooms.
Our hotel has just gone Non Smoking since the 04th January 2010, so this will combat the smell of smoke in any bedrooms. If you had brought the issues with your room to the attention of the Duty Manager I can assure you we would have rectified the situtation as soon as possible.