“Not as bad as I expected!”

The Bonnington Dublin
Ranked #119 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 12 March 2010

From reading other reviews, I was a little nervous about staying at this hotel. We booked through a travel agency, which seems to be the case for most people who stay here.

I had some pre-trip e-mail communications with a manager, she was helpful in letting me know what bus route to use from the airport and that we'd need exact change for the bus. When we arrived, we opted not to pay extra for the ability to check-in early (would have cost 20 euros to do so, even though a room was available) and just checked our bags. When we returned at 2:00 (check-in time), we were given one of the old rooms. It was pretty obvious it had not been renovated, so we went to front desk to ask for a different room. Some guy was standing there YELLING at the manager about the same issue so we nicely informed another staff member that we were in the same boat and would like a renovated room. 15 minutes later, we were in our new room.

This certianly isn't a 4 or 5 star property (according to US standards), but it was clean and worked well for us as we were only there to sleep. I do have to say, the beds were rock hard. I ended up taking the comforter/duvet from the other bed and placing it on top of the mattress to ease my aching back. That did the trick and I didn't have any more issues. The pillows were hard too.

The breakfast each morning was good, we ate around 9 each morning and didn't experience any of the rush that other reviews mention. Brief interactions with the hotel staff during our stay were friendly, they helped us get an idea of things to do and how to get around the city a bit better.

The hotel is close to the bus line which made getting around the city easy. We bought the 3 day bus pass for 25 euros and definitely got our money's worth out of it. The bus drivers were helpful when we would ask if we were on the right bus.

If you have kids and may spend some time in your room, note that the tv was limited to about 13 channels, some of which were repetitive.

OVerall, I would recommend this hotel to a friend with a couple of disclaimers. My friends who like to get a good deal and travel inexpensively? Yes. Those who have more refined standards? No.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luf2travel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,453)

Reviewed 12 March 2010

My Husband and I stayed at this property March 4-10, 2010. We were pleasantly surprised after reading all of the negative reviews. I really don't think most people give this hotel a fair shot. We had no major problems and found the hotel to be very satifactory as a base for our trip to Dublin.
We requested and recieved an early check in to a renovated room. The front desk staff at check in and through out our stay were all very friendly and very helpful. They happily supplied directions, advice, wakeup calls, and smiles.
The rooms are clean and large. Some of our lights did not work in the room but this did not bother us and to be fair, we didnt bring it to anyones attention to get it fixed. The hotel is using a system that saves electricity so the hallways are sometimes dark, but this was okay too as it is for enviromental purposes. There was a hairdryer (check your drawers or closet) and kettle but no alarm clock. This was not a problem for us as I always travel with one and as I mentioned, their wake up call service is very reliable. There were no face cloths supplied either, so bring your own. We never bothered to ask if they had any.
The spa area is very nice and state of the art. There is a sauna, steamroom, jaccuzi, large warm pool, work out gym and changerooms. They supply towels and you are required to wear a bathing cap in the pool. If you dont have one they are available to buy for 3 euro and is then yours to keep.
The breakfast was good and had a very large selection of hot and cold items. The servers in the breakfast area bring coffee or tea and hot toast to your table. This sometimes took quite awhile to get but always came eventually.
The bar was a nice cozy spot for a drink or a bite to eat. You are allowed to bring drinks from the bar back to your room. Service was hit or miss here, sometimes very quick and sometimes very slow.
Internet is available in the lobby for a small fee and it was a fast connection.
The hotel is on a busy bus route and it was always very quick to get one. You do have to flag down the proper bus (16 or 41) as they don't automatically stop. And you must have a pass or proper change, 1.60 euro per person.
Our first day, we took the bus to the O'Connell street stop right downtown (friendly locals on the bus helped with this). This deposits you right outside the tourist office. Very convenient. We went in and booked our hop on and hop off bus tickets (which are also good for the city buses) and our Dublin pass. These two things work very well together to get you to all the places to see and into them as well. As we went in off season, there are some things that are not open and the tours are not a frequent as during peak season.
We went on the musical pub crawl for 12 euro each. This was fantasic and was hosted by 2 musicians. They take the group to 2 pubs and play music for you and sing and talk to you about the history and evolution of thier traditional music. I highly reccomend this, it was a highlight of our trip.
We also did a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. This is a spctacular sight to see and I would reccomend it. However it is a very long day on a bus.
All in all, we had a fantastic time and we enjoyed our hotel.
I'd be happy to answer any questions.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tamvic0814
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Stayed for 2 nights here as part of an Aer Lingus self-drive package. The location was convenient, close to a bus stop and easy to get into the heart of the city. Also convenient to the airport for our return flight. Rooms were clean, but showed some wear and tear. Staff was pleasant, our room wasn't quite ready when we first arrived, so we had lunch in the pub while we waited. Our server was a very charming Romanian girl who was an excellent server. All the staff we encountered were very friendly, and we met some really lovely people from the neighborhood who helped us with the busses (they don't stop automatically). This could be a really nice hotel with a reno & update. Recommend for location & staff.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I truly don't understand the negative reviews for the Regency Hotel on TripAdvisor. We recently had such a wonderful stay at the hotel (Feb 28 - March 3) that we are planning on returning next year with a group of friends. Our stay was delayed due to the snow storm that hit New York City in late Feb 2010 and we were fearful that our hotel reservation would be canceled. Not only was the staff extremely helpful, they even extended our stay by one day! Unfortunately, Aer Lingus wouldn't allow us to extend so we couldn't take them up on the offer, but it was nice knowing the hotel would do it. When we arrived early the next day, they held our bags for us while we toured the city and when we returned, check-in was quick and easy.

Everyone we dealt with at the hotel (and in Ireland in general) were lovely and extremely helpful. The room was quite large and very clean, as was the bathroom. Coffee and tea supplies were in the room as were an iron/ironing board and a hair dryer. The beds were comfortable and warm. After reading the reviews on the noise level, I brought along ear plugs, but never needed them. Although we didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, the food smelled delicious.

The hotel is away from Dublin's city center, but the bus stop is close by and the buses were frequent. The front desk woman was very helpful and wrote down the bus lines that stopped out front without us having to ask. We decided on a tour to the Cliffs of Moher and had to be at the Dublin tourist office by 7am. We only had to walk to Griffin Ave (a little ways down the road) to catch a bus to city center. By the way, if you're looking for good tour groups, we highly recommend the Dublin Tour Company and the Galway Tour Company. Both had excellent guides who kept everyone entertained.

Here's a tip if you're staying at the Regency - don't bother taking a cab or the Air Coach from the airport The local 16A bus stops in front of the hotel and is only 2.20 euros (be sure to have exact change!) An even better idea is to get the 1 Day Rambler pass for 6 euros that allows for unlimited bus travel for the entire day. The vending machine is near the bus stop at the airport.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank nybeccaboo
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Rock hard beds. TVs work in some rooms not all. Mass confusion at reception. High turnover of staff. Unreliable wi-fi. Expensive drinks in the bar and little to no healthy food options. Did I mention the beds are rock hard???

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Regencymanager, Michelle at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our beds are all quality Orthopedic beds which pass all regulations for Hotel standards. Regarding your issues with the TV in your room and the WiFi, had you brought this to the attention of the Manager on Duty I am certain this could have been rectified for you. Our Hotel is quite large and spread out and due to this some areas have better coverage for Wi Fi than others. We could have ensured you had a room with the highest possible coverage.
I am not sure how you are aware of our high turnover of Staff? In the current economic climate we definitely do not have a high turnover of Staff. The majority of our Staff have been with us for many years at this stage.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed here for 1 night in Feb, arriving on a Sunday. Having read reviews I wasn't sure what we had let ourselves in for. First impression of the building isn't great. However, we booked a family room and I was really delighted with it. It was clean and modern and big. A double bed and a single in one room and 2 singles in the small back room, which can only be accessed via the main room. A great comfort when you have 2 small kids in it knowing that if anyone is going to come in they have to get past you first. The bathroom is fine. No shower caps or any extras like that, only shower gel. The pool is lovely and they have a childrens toddler pool and the changing rooms are clean. The down side is that the walls are paper thin though and I could here someone in the bath in the room above or beside us. I thought an elephant was in it at times. It was 12 midnight though. Also some family must have arrived late and they had a daughter who had no volume control. Not in the mood for that in the middle of the night either. Breakfast was ok. No great variety but edible. Oh and you have to pay 10 euro a night for parking. That I found strange. It's a no frills hotel but my experience is that it's a perfect base for a weekend in Dublin with the kids.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dinjoe
Regencymanager, Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay for the most part however we are disappointed that you had some issues during your stay.
Our Breakfast normally receives great compliments so I am surprised you felt the choice was not great. Our Full Breakfast has a wide variety of Juices, Cereals, Fresh Fruit, Breads, Danishes, Croissants and Scones along with a great choice from the Hot Buffet including Scrambled, Fried, Boiled Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Beans, Pudding and Hash Browns. Tea Coffee and Toast are also included. This would be a very substantial breakfast in any Hotel.
Unfortunatley we cannot control the noise some Guests make whilst staying in the Hotel, however if you felt this was excessive, you could have called Reception and we would have gladly asked the Guests beside you to tone down. Car Parking is available at the Hotel for €10.00 Euro for overnight for Guests. This is clearly advertised on our Website and on the entrance to the Car Park. We do hope you will come back and stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2010

We stayed here as it was handy for a rugby match we were attending.

Check-In: Because we had flown from Cork my purse was in my suitcase. I asked the Receptionist if I could return to complete a pre-auth on my card in five minutes as there was a gentleman behing me in the queue that was in a wheelchair and as there was a queue beside it made it a little difficult without causing embarassment. I was told "No" no apologies or any other tye of understanding. I explained my purse trying to disgreetly draw her attention to the fact that I did not want to embarass the gentleman behind me. I was then informed that NO hotel ould allow this, when I informed the Receptionist I work in a four star hotel in Cork City her attitude did not appear to change so we had a rather uncomfortable moment with the chap behind me when I was tryig to squeeze past him.

We requested a non-smoking room which smelt to high heaven of cigarettes.
You couldn't move in the bathroom and the door did not close.
The sheets were dirty.
The water was cold.
We reported this to reception that simply informed us that because of the match in croke park we would have to stay in this room as they were full or find somewhere else.

The attitude of the Reception staff was very poor. The rooms shabby and the sheets dirty. Never again would I return.

As I work in a hotel I try to be understanding but there is no excuse for staff's bad attitudes!

Good Points: Bar staff could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel.
Firstly let me apologise for the incidents which occured during your stay and assure you this is not the level of service we aim to provide our Guests.
The Hotel has a strict policy for Check Ins and Reception Staff must follow this procedure regardless of Individual Guest cases. Our Policy is that full payment or a credit card pre authorisation must be taken prior to room keys being issued. This would be standard in the majority of Hotels in Dublin and I would be very surprised if the 4 Star Hotel you work for in Cork would not have this or a similar policy in place as a security measure.
In relation to the issues with your room, you should have asked to speak to the Manager on Duty and I can assure you they would have rectified the issues for you. The Hotel may have been fully booked, however we would still have ensured your room had been serviced to the proper standards.