“Disappointing hotel situated in a no-go area”
Review of Ripley Court Hotel

Ripley Court Hotel
Ranked #93 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Disappointing hotel situated in a no-go area”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let's start with a positive: the staff at this hotel are lovely. From the woman I spoke to on the phone before my arrival to the front desk staff to the man at the security desk -- they were all very friendly, pleasant and helpful.

The problem is that I feel sorry for them that they have to work at the Ripley Court, because no matter how nice they are, the Ripley Court is a dark, run-down property well passed its prime. Its glossy website is borderline misleading, as it bears no relation to the hotel in reality. The public areas on the ground floor -- 'security desk' (the first sign of trouble...), front desk, lobby, etc. are all as dark as a dungeon, as they've no windows/natural light. The luggage room, as another reviewer mentioned, is a room you access with a key yourself: no tags, no one checking that you're only taking your own bags. The elevator is old and creaky, with things trapped between the cover and the light bulbs on its ceiling. I checked in around 4pm, and was met with bags and bags of dirty laundry right outside the lift on the 2nd floor. The room itself, had it been clean, would've been adequate but unimpressive. It was a little bare (not one piece of guest information, about the hotel or the city) and very outdated (the bathroom and the iron/ironing board need immediately replacing), but the bed was very comfortable and I got a good night's sleep.The shower was also very powerful.

However there was a stain of indeterminable origin on the bedspread and the remote control -- tied to the nightstand with a cord -- was held together at one end with duct tape, complete with other people's hair stuck to an exposed piece of stickiness.The grouting between the tiles in the bathroom was black, and there were cracked tiles close to the floor. The walls were extremely thin, so much so that you can hear everything from the hall and the room next door (I knew exactly what my neighbours were talking about AND what they were watching on TV).

Going back to the website, I notice that in the photo of the rooms, the remote control is not tied in any way to the nightstand and there is what looks to be a leather-covered guest directory on the desktop. Hmm...

The street this hotel is on is the real problem though. It's Talbot Street, which connects Connolly train station to O'Connell Street. I was a woman travelling alone and I didn't feel safe walking down it late Friday afternoon; I made sure not to have walk down it at night. It's the type of street that boasts 'We Buy Your Gold' pawn-style shops, discount stores, seedy arcades, boarded-up empty storefronts and intimidating drunks/drug users waiting in doorways, asking you if you have a lighter or fifty cents to spare. It's another world from the shopping mecca of Henry Street, which is its opposite on the other side of O'Connell St. In short, it's disgusting. I will never walk down this street again, let alone book myself into a hotel at the far end of it.

For visitors to Ireland (I'm Irish), I would hate to think that this is the street you would stay on in Dublin and take home with you as an impression of our country or of Dublin itself. My advice would be never to book accommodation in Ireland because it's near a train station -- that's actually a reason NOT to book, because in Dublin and Cork (and possibly, in other Irish cities as well) the areas around train stations are known to be a bit on the seedy side, and not somewhere you'd walk alone at night.

In Dublin, the LUAS (tram) connects Connolly Station to Heuston Station with plenty of stops in between, the AirCoach takes you directly from Dublin Airport to a number of hotels (and Westmoreland Street, by O'Connell Bridge) and then there's the AirLink Express, a bus service with stops all over the city and connects you to the airport and the major bus and train stations for a €6 ticket one-way. My point is: there is no NEED to stay near any station just because you're catching a bus or train.

By all means, if you just need a bed and this is the only hotel that's in your budget, stay at the Ripley Court. It is relatively cheap. But if this is your dream Ireland vacation or supposed to be a relaxing weekend break away, avoid it at all costs. As a woman travelling alone, I would advise you to stay well away from this area and, so, this hotel.

I hate to be so negative but this is the point of TripAdvisor: to advise other travellers what they might be letting themselves in for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank catherineh1982
Helen O, Manager at Ripley Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very surprised and disappointed that you found your stay with us so un-satisfactory. Had we been made aware of your concerns during your stay we could have addressed them.

We pride ourselves as being one of the best 3 star Hotels in central Dublin and are highly rated for our service, value, comfort and location. We find your comments about our rooms very disheartening as we have refurbished all of our rooms with new carpets, curtains and bedding over the last few months and are always looking for ways where we can improve our guest services and facilities.

We are very centrally located just off O'Connell Street which is Dublin's main thoroughfare and we are walking distance from all the main attractions and sights. I'm sure all the other long standing business' on Talbot Street including our neighbours, Independent Newspapers plc., Le Bon Crubeen (voted Dublin's best restaurant 2010) and other hotels in the area would agree with me when I say that I find your description of our location very damning and unfounded.

We are glad that you had a good night's sleep at our hotel and found our staff pleasant and welcoming. Our staff have been with us a long time and take great pride in recommending our hotel and our beautiful city.

Kindest Regards,

Helen O'Leary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
cork
Reviewed 11 October 2013

i was stuck in dublin. car broke down. took the kids to a concert in the 02. went into this hotel. the nicest people i ever met. i had no money on my card. my wages were not goin in to the bank on to the next day. i told the most lovely girl on reception what the crack was. i knew she probably said to herself heres another one. she was the most homely person i ever met. she let us ring our sister to get a credit card number just to confirm our booking. thank you very much. you are one great women cant remember your name but i will stay no ware else the next time i go to dublin and that goes for friends and family as well. the women is a legand.

Room Tip: brill lovely people!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ger g
Helen O, Manager at Ripley Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Gill on reception is indeed a well loved member of staff and we are glad she was able to assist you. It's always nice to hear from guests that good old Irish hospitality is very much at the centre of what we do and it really brightens our day when we are commended for it.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon and please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your reservation.

Helen O'Leary
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel is located on the edge of a very shoddy neighborhood but OK. The decor is old and dated and the hotel lacks in general upkeep; however, it is clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is passable but is served more like cafeteria style. The WiFi is only available in the main lobby which is very dark and drab. I had to examine my pillows after being shocked by the staining on one of them and left a note for housekeeping. None of the pillows are the same and all need to be replaced. Some feathers, others foam, some fiber filled etc. The tiles in the bathroom needed to be re-grouted and there need to be hooks for the towels in the bathroom. That being said, the E10 parking fee was reasonable, and the hotel was fully booked every day I was there. This is why the car must be taken out at check out [11AM]. There is a delay in getting into the room as housekeeping does not start until 10AM in spite of many guests leaving very early on the airport bus???? I noticed the potential for a serious security problem. Guests are given the key to put their own luggage into/out the "storage room"; any enterprising thief can easily take advantage of this and either just switch luggage of take someone else's luggage or search other luggage! They do this so that the desk person does not have to leave to do it. There is much room for improvement without great capital investment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is on a very scruffy street, if its your first trip to Dublin then it doesn't give you the greatest first impression.

It isn't to bad for walking distance to the main areas you'd be visiting in Dublin, about 10/15 minutes walk to the shops and bars.

The security guard who mans the car park gate is rude and intimidating. We paid 30 euros to park from Saturday afternoon until we left on the Monday, 10euros per day but when we checked out early Monday morning, we mentioned we would be going for a walk before we collected the car, on our return her was rude and said we should have only taken an hour. In my opinion, I had paid for the entire day to park so I would take as long as I liked.

The rooms are very basic and dated. The tiles in the bathroom were tatty and a lot of the fixtures around the bath and bathroom were broke.

The wallpaper around the hotel corridors is shabby and torn in a lot of places.

On our first night at the hotel the fire alarm went off 3 times between 4am and 6am and we were advised that it was due to a fault. I thought this was disgraceful.

Other residents were very noisy and there is a lot of noise that comes from around the hotel.

Me and my partner travel a lot and this was probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

I also emailed the hotel twice in advance to our trip as it was my boyfriends birthday when we arrived, I asked if they could do anything special like maybe a cake or a bottle of fizz in the room. I did not get a response at all and nothing was done. They are not a hotel who will bend over backwards for their customers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sarah c

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Average Dublin Hotel, but okay for price.

Central location, dated hotel, but fine for a three star hotel. Clean bathroom, friendly staff, but dated and dark foyer area. Room itself was bright and beds were comfortable (we were upgraded to a family room from triple room - was nice to have the extra space).

Car parking is available at an additional charge.

Breakfast was satisfactory - buffet style and edible, but nothing special.

Food choices in the immediate street are limited, and is near many hostels so the area can be quite loud and filled with drunk backpackers at night.

As long as you're not expecting a five star hotel this hotel is fine.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
New York, USA
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Old, broken, flashback from the 80s. All and more can be used to describe the hotel. We needed to stay at a hotel 1 night and be within a close distance to the airport bus. All hotels were booked due to St. Paddy's, and this one, based on the reviews, was the best from the worst. The area seems seedy for 2 women traveling alone , the hotel is old. The beds were super uncomfortable, the TV broken (it's a 15 inch tube TV, had to get it fixed). I would never stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank thedreamgl
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 3 October 2013

An ordinary hotel on Talbot street. The rooms were OK but breakfast was not exciting. The location, Close to O´Connell Street, was an advantage. Cheap and clean but nothing else. Less positive was that this part of Talbot street has a lot of homeless and beggers which maybee not is so good if you are visiting the hotel with Children.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo