“Oldie but goodie”

Ranked #105 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
the Netherlands
“Oldie but goodie”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Had a very pleasant 4 night stay at this hotel. The location is just on the edge of the city center of Dublin, but easy to go there on foot. Within 15 minutes you're at St. Stephens Green. Hotel is situated on a lively street, and I loved it, so many little restaurants and pubs to choose from. You always had to ring the doorbell to enter the hotel, and that gave me a good feeling of security, there's 24/7 one of the very friendly staff members to assist you. Hotel and (spatious) rooms look a bit old, but it all works and it's clean! The only downside I can think of is that it can be a bit noisy by the downstairs pub noises. But it didn't bother me too much. I'm pretty sure that I'll stay here again on my visit to this fair city!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Recently I booked to stay at the Portobello Hotel for 4 nights as I am currently working in Dublin. From the website on booking.com the hotel appeared to be decent. It was by no means cheap - charging a rate of €80 + per night.

I went to check in late last night, only to find the building covered in 'Closed for Renovation'!!! The place was a deserted building site. The bouncer/doorman opened the door and informed me that the 'hotel' was open for business, hence why my booking was taken on Sunday 11th May.

As soon as I entered this establishment I knew I couldn't stay for one night, let alone four. The carpet on the stairs was filthy - my feet literally stuck to the floor. I was shown the room where I was to sleep and to be quite frank, you could not have paid me to stay there. Consequently I ended up looking for alternative acomodation at midnight.

By the way, 'the renovation' is for the nightclub downstairs...I strongly suspect there are no plans to renovate the bedrooms - which are in dire need.

This hotel has falsely marketed itself. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank 8den

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here on Sunday Feb 16/2014 & everything was great. Got to check in early, rooms were clean, service was friendly, lots of tourist info from the staff & locals, free Irish breakfast when you book through the hotel. Nice pub downstairs (very comfy while having a pint) Just fantastic!!! It's also close to the shopping centre & tons of pubs. It's a 20 min walk from the hotel to the city centre. They say... by taxi it's about €10. The only dislike was no little fridge in the room as well as shampoo (bring your own) and last... we asked for a wake up call, which we did not received (so make sure u set your phone alarm) Other than that it was a great night stay. Worth it for the price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lynxyboo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Overall 5 out of 5 for this hotel close to city center and the very charming area Ranelagh - restaurants, pubs. Rooms are fine, Rates are fine, Location right at the channel is cute, People are nice. There is a pub belonging to it - on the second floor whth open windows I didnt hear a sound. LUCA tram - 5 walking minutes.
Jochen

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great little hotel with a few issues. OK! The staff were 5 stars and helped us with any questions or problems. We have to say Valentino is great, this guy was a walking encyclopedia on Dublin.
The food package of a meal and a drink for €10 was great though sometimes disappointing because they had sold out. Good location to get into the city center, you could walk it 7n 20mins or
cross the road and get the bus.

So, downsides: The place has seen plenty of guests and so is in need of a bit of tlc. Our room had been recarpeted, but you couldnt open the door properly...the bathroom was nice, but a little attention to detail with grouting would add a star.

Be warned, the weekend is party time until 3am.....earplugs are a basic need.

On the whole, clean bed, hearty food and great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room...away from the road and the disco
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fotoman61
new york
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I arrived at hotel prior to check-in. The staff was accommodating and give me room choices.
Room is average but worked for me and my travel plans, I needed a place mainly to sleep because my intentions were to see as much of Ireland as I can.
Hotel can use an upgrade in amenities.
I was disappointed in the various rates which varied from Euro 69-219 per night for my stay, weekend prices were too high just for an average room. I know I could have gotten more at another hotel, for the same price, oh well, I hope I have better luck next visit.
Hotel is 25mins walk to city center , dollar for dollar you maybe better off booking hotel in city. I do not mind the walk but accommodations maybe better elsewhere for a few extra dollars.

Room Tip: There is a club directly below hotel. The second floor(rm 211) facing streets but once window is clo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank vsa1
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Booked Landsdowne hotel months ago As attending Michael Buble concert.Upon arrival to check in at 4 pm we were informed that no rooms were available and we were being relocated to another hotel.had already paid for parking - not refunded. Relocated to the Portobello Townhouse.We were informed at the Landsdowne that this hotel was much better than theirs. Well if that is the case The Landsdowne must be a complete shambles altogether . We arrived back to the hotel after the concert to be greeted to music blaring. This music continued until 3 in the morning! I rang reception to complain and the receptionist informed me that this information was on the website. I informed him we had not booked to stay here and nobody else should book to stay here either!

• Stayed July 2013