“An average hotel, but the breakfast was delicious” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Dublin

Hilton Dublin
Ranked #54 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Fredrikstad, Norway
“An average hotel, but the breakfast was delicious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We booked our twin bed room through the Hilton January sale and paid 93,50 € per night. The rate included breakfast.

We took the "Aircoach Leopardstown" from the airport to a stopped called "Kildare Street". From the stop we walked for about 5-6 minutes before we reached the LUAS tram station called "St Stephens Green". The Hilton Dublin is located right next to the LUAS stop called "Charlemont" (the second stop after "St Stephens Green"). Total cost per person: 9,50 € (8 € for the bus ticket and 1,50 € for a single journey ticket on the LUAS).

The hotel is located only a few kilometers from the main attractions in Dublin. The historic city centre is located only 2 stops away via the LUAS tram.

When we arrived at approx. 0230 pm I asked if we would get a complimentary room upgrade due to my HHonors status. The receptionist told us that it wasn't possible due to our reservation for a twin room. We had to wait exactly 30 minutes before we got the key to room 237. We were very surprised when we walked into a room with only one bed. After complaining to another receptionist we got a room with twin beds.

Our new room, number 126, had a terrible location on the First floor, only 10-15 meters from the LUAS tram line. I have chosen «High Floor» as a room preference on the Hilton webpage. This is the first time, after many Hilton stays in different contries, this preference is ignored.

We «suffered» from noise from the LUAS and constantly slamming of doors from other rooms. The soundproofing is terrible.

The room was clean and the bathroom had almost all of the usual amenities, as expected on Hilton hotels, from Crabtree & Evelyn. At other Hilton hotels I always find bathrobe(s), slipper(s), bodylotion, sewing kit etc in the room, none of these items was to be found in the room 126. Upon request we got slippers and bodylotion.

I asked for a voucher for free WiFi-access. I got a voucher and was surprised that the hotel doesn´t offer WiFi in the rooms. The receptionist told me that I could get WiFi-access just outside the elevator on the 3rd floor. I expect in-room WiFi when staying at a Hilton hotel.

The breakfast is served in the «Uisce restaurant». Opening hours for breakfast from 7am to 12 am on weekends. The breakfast was delicious withe the choice of full Irish or a continental breakfast buffet.

I´m looking forward to my next trip to Dublin, but I don´ think I will choose this hotel again. My HHonors Gold-status and preferences was poorly acknowledged by the hotel.

friendly staff
elegant restaurant
bathroom amenities
breakfast

poor acknowledgement of my HHonors Gold member status
given room not according to request/reservation
sleep quality due to noise

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Falkvik
JenniferDalton01, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Dear Falkvik
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay, unfortunately as you know, there was a mix up with your room when you checked in and when your room was moved your extra amenities and requests where not transferred to the new room.
I was delighted to see you enjoyed our location and of course of Hilton Breakfast. Unfortunately at present we do not offer wifi throughout the hotel, however we are looking into this at the moment and hope to resolve this issue very soon.
Again I would like to apologise for the inconvenience and we would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel on your return to Dublin.
Hotel Administrator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
SF Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Very nice modern accomodations. Beds are comfortable, basic rooms are a bit small, but comfortable.
Conor at the bar makes a mean grey goose martini. But most other's at the bar were not knowledgable about drinks. The staff was friendly, however. Food was average for a hotel chain.
A little outside of the city center, and though there is usually a taxi out front, you need to walk to the corner to hail, as they dont drive down the little side street this hotel is loccated on as frequently.

Beware of slimy international businessmen. (A tactful escape by this patron was well executed.)

Room Tip: nice quiet rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear skyetraveler74
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a kind review on Tripadvisor.
I was delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and found the guest rooms both comfortable and modern. I have passed your kind comments to Conor, he sends his thanks. I am glad to see you found travel in and out of the hotel so easy, we can always call a taxi from reception for you should you require. Please do not hesitate to request this should you return to our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is a great hotel, very much the usual high Hilton standard.

Staff were very helpful and check in was quick. My room was of a fair size with a large (but not king) bed, desk and and easy chair. Lots of hanging space and a clean and well equipped bathroom. The bed was incredibly comfortamble and I slept wonderfully.

I ate in the hotel bar one night with was very good, I can highly recommend the lamb shank! Drinks from the bar were complimentary for one hour due to my Hhonors status as there is no executive lounge.

The hotel is not in the city centre but is very close to the tram stop which will take you straight to the centre or you can walk, as I did in less than 15 minutes.

There are also several nice bars and restaurants just a few minutes from the hotel.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GeordieEngineer
JenniferDalton01, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear GeordieEngineer
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms so spacious and comfortable. Thank you for your kind words regarding the food in Uisce, I have passed your comments to our Head Chef, he sends his thanks.
Thank you also for mentioning our central location, it is always helpful for other traveller to see how close we are to the city centre. I am glad to see you tried some of the attractions in our local area, it is a hidden gem.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Hopkinton NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

This hotel is just south of the activity of Dublin, which makes it a great choice if you don't mind a bit of a stroll. I was there for a stopover before heading to the airport in the morning. I stayed on the club level, and the room was spacious, updated and very clean. Club level throws in free water (still feels strange using that phrase) and a basket of fruit. The hotel also has a very nice buffet breakfast. I'll definitely stay there again. The only real downsides were the lack of alternatives to a taxi for travel to the airport, and the pricey internet access..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JenniferDalton01, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear jmasci
Thank you for kindly taking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and found our guest rooms so comfortable and our Hilton Breakfast tasty.
I apologise if you found it difficult to get to our hotel, there is an aircoach service from the airport that stops approximately 10 minute walk from the hotel, the taxi is the best option is you have many bags or more than 4 guests as it would be the same price as the bus for 4.
I will of course pass your comments regarding the internet prices to my manager for review.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Dublin Kind regards

Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed here on my birthday weekend with friends who do a lot of travelling. The hotel staff were pleasant and always helpful, the room was perfect (size, temperature, atmosphere everything). The reception staff had put a welcome pack into the room, still dont know if it was because they knew it was my birthday weekend or that's just something they do! My friends and I stayed up quite late on my birthday night, we didnt make a racket but we had a great time and want thank the night porters for all that they put up with :) Breakfast the next morning was epic.

Room Tip: I could have sat all day in the massive chair - so relaxing!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank spdm7326
Dear spdm7326
Thank you kindly for leaving such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our guest rooms so comfortable during your birthday weekend. We are delighted your chose our Hotel to celebrate this and may we welcome you back for many more.
Please be assured I have passed your message to the nights team.
Regards

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days in July 2011 as part of a week long visit to Ireland. When we were first assigned our room, it was the closest one to the LUAS tram tracks and we requested a room change. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and even gave us a bucket of Corona to make up for the inconvenience! We had no issue with the location- St. Stephen's green is a 10 minutes walk away and we caught a bus from there to go anywhere further in the city. The beds were very comfortable and we had wifi included (HHonors Gold). We'd stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear jmatkinson
Thank you for kindly taking the time to leave such a kind review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see yourself and your husband enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the Luas, we have had many of our rooms triple glazed but unfortunately we still have some rooms affected. I will of course pass your comments to our General Manager.
I am glad to see your enjoyed our location and that you enjoyed our guest rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, should you and your husband return to Dublin.
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel is of the usual Hilton good standard, including divinely comfortable bed and excellent choice of breakfast but it is in an inconvenient position if you want to walk to O'Connell Street. I didn't understand how the 'street-cars' worked so I didn't use them.

I had a nice room with a canal view but there is a rather grim built-up area to pass through to get anywhere. One consolation, there is a small supermarket very close by, which comes in handy if you need anything later in the evening. Restaurant food is good and staff (mostly German, I think) pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
daltonje, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear Kabiven
Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed our hotel and of course of our Hilton Breakfast.
Unfortunately the Luas does not link to O Connell Street at present, these do run as far as St Stephens Green and there is a 10-15 minute walk from there. There is however numerous buses around the corner from the hotel to O Connell Street, these take approx 8-10 minutes. These may be useful for your return to Dublin.
I have passed your kind comments to the Restaurant manager for his next team meeting and of course to our Head Chef.
Thank you again for your time, we look forward to welcoming you back.