“A really great surprise!”

Jackson Court Hotel
Ranked #143 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Madrid, Spain
“A really great surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

I was afraid about this hotel after reading the reviews. The room was 45€ per day, so we decided to book because it was the cheapest option: cheapest than private rooms on hostels with shared bathroom and no breakfast!!
We got delighted with this hotel!
1: the room and the bathroom are very small (overweigh people could have problems in the shower), however they are well furnished and clean and it includes a set to prepare tea and coffee. The bed was quite confortable and I didnt have the feeling of being in a old place.
2: Breakfast was incredible! Irish, continental... as you prefer. No buffet, you ask what you want.
3: Disco: The hotel is perfect for young people. you come into the disco for free, without waiting queues. Noise might be annoying from some rooms, but we were on the third floor, so we heard it but it wasnt a major problem (my home at madrid is more noisy).
4: Location is perfect, although it is a bit difficult to get by car (No parking included).
So, if you go during the week, I hardly recommend that hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eatheril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
LukewarmCatastrophe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

My partner and I have just completed a short tour of Europe - Dublin was one of our stop off points with the purpose of our visit to the city being for a concert held at the Iveagh Gardens. The Jackson Court Hotel was the perfect hotel for this as it is located literally across the road - stumbling distance!!

I initially booked through booking.com but then found a marginally cheaper rate on hostelbookers.com so went with them instead. Both websites clearly advise whilst booking that the hotel is situated above a nightclub and give you plenty of advice warning about the extreme noise you may hear in the night. We weren't bothered about the noise, we knew we would be exhausted after our travelling and would probably sleep through any bumps in the night and hey, there's always earplugs, right?

When we arrived, the receptionist advised us that due to a technical error, we had been upgraded to a superior room. Alarm bells started ringing (I had studied Tripadvisor reviews religiously before choosing this hotel and couldn't remember whether the superior rooms were the "bad" rooms or the "good" rooms. Anyway, I reluctantly agreed.

Turns out our room was in the building next to the actual hotel - you had to use your key to enter the building and the door was big, heavy and secure. The entrance hall was lovely! Large vintage mirror, creaky floorboards (I think this is perhaps a listed building??) it was like being in somebody's house. Our room was immediately to our right on the ground floor of this separate building. When we entered, we were AMAZED!

The room was large and airy, lots of natural light (the room faced out onto the street and had two large windows and both net curtains and thick curtains to give you privacy), the decor was really pleasing to the eye in beiges and golds and browns. So relaxing. Kind of safari themed mixed with a little bit of Egyptian. The bed was huge, soft, crisp sheets, lovely bedding, attractive bedframe - there were wall hangings, distressed wood style wardrobes and bedside cabinets, artwork, flatscreen tv, lamps - after all of our travelling it was a haven of tranquility and just what we needed. Even the ceiling had original coving, period features AND a chandelier - all of this for 50 EUR, per night, for 2 people in a superior room (we noticed the rack rate on the wall and it was a LOT more expensive than this, thank God for hotel booking sites!!!!)

The bathroom was similarly pleasant. Lots of room. Clean toilet with a good flush. Plenty of fluffy white towels. When using the shower, I DID initially panic as the water was ice cold to begin with, but with a bit of playing around (turning it on and off and moving the lever from left to right) soon got it working, boiling hot and powerful. (Incidentally, there had been a plumbing problem at the hotel the day before according to friends of mine who also stayed here and perhaps the after-effects of this were still evident, but it was no problem for us, sadly, they weren't so lucky and had cold water for the entire duration of their stay but they were in the main hotel building not the annex where we were)

In terms of quality of sleep, well, we were so tired, we practically passed out at 10pm, however, we did wake up in the middle of the night briefly and yes, the room did feel like it was shaking, the bass from the nightclub was very loud, but the hotel actually issue you with a statement about the noise and as I said earlier, we were clearly warned about it by our booking agents, so no one has a right to moan to be fair.

A little note on the staff - we didn't really deal with anyone or have any problems other than receptionists (we didn't have breakfast/evening meal/use the nightclub etc) so can't say much. The female receptionist who booked us in (long blonde hair) was very nice and wished us a good stay. 10 out of 10 for her. The male receptionist who checked us out was perfectly nice, but sadly, looked and acted like he had just woken up and it took him several minutes to do basic things like get my credit card the right way around, put it in the machine, etc - he slurred his words slightly, one can only hope he wasn't drunk on the job! ;)

Left luggage facility is fine. We had a couple of rucksacks which needed to be left behind reception for a good 17 hours or so after we'd checked out. No problem at all.

Overall, (from reading other reviews of this hotel and from listening to the experiences of my friends who were all staying here with us albeit in the main hotel rather than the annexe) it seems my partner and I were VERY lucky to have the wonderful experience we did and I don't particulary wan't to tarnish this review with other people's opinions as I'm meant to be reviewing my OWN experience which was VERY GOOD. However, I would be reluctant to return to this hotel unless I had a CAST IRON guarantee I would be in the annexe and thus, have the pleasure of the up to date, modern rooms, and not the more hostel-standard rooms my friends experienced. Because the hotel probably CAN'T guarantee this, I would look elsewhere, but I wish Jackson Court all the best as we personally had no problems and I hope other reviewers who have had good experiences speak up because there is real potential with this hotel, management just need to give it a good shake up.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

Outside looks great, when you walk in it's ok!
However, taking the lift is hit and miss whether it'll get you to the right floor or even if the doors will close!
The room was horrible! Just enough room to walk around the bed! No channels to watch, windows dirty. The bathroom had been re-done which was quite nice but dont try and bend down to wash your face in the sink as you cant, shoulders get "in the way" of the closed in walls!
Breakfast was nice however so cant grumble at that.

Then you have the constant noice from the night club. It's open every night and with no sound proofing you hear EVERYTHING! There are no bouncers on the door to try to quieten down the revellers! shouting swearing and generally blarring noise until 5am EVERY day.

I would never recommend this hotel. It's great if you plan to stay up all night and never sleep. We changed rooms because of the noise but it was just as bad!

AWFUL HOTEL DO NOT STAY HERE. PAY THE EXTRA AND GET A BETTER HOTEL.

You do get what you pay for, granted, but dear lord, that was awful!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shellipop

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Antrim, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

When I walked into the hotel, I started to have serious doubts.

When I got to my room, it was like a box room in a student house. It was dirty, the windows were open, the carpet was terrible, there were insects on the bed, there was no soap in the bathroom, you couldn't sing a cat in it, the toilet roll holder was far too close to the toilet...
I could go on. Quite simply, I just left the hotel.

This establishment is a nightclub with a budget hotel for those who "get lucky" to stay should they wish, and don't care about where they lay their head.

Avoid.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank OctoberFall
Wexford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

The standard of the rooms are really awful, its a very strange place, more like a hostel than a hotel, nightclub is free if you stay, but no need to go there because all the music and sounds can be heard perfectly in the rooms...i think its a nite club with bedrooms not a hotel with a nite club.
strange the owners don,t improve on such a valuable property in such a great location.
oh, and they start clamping cars at 7am so if you park across in the side street as i was advised by staff to do so , get up very early.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

Great hotel, decor a bit dated. We arrived at the Hotel and had originally booked a twin room, but were told on arrival that there had been a technical issue with the room they had booked for us so we got upgraded to a superior room. Massive room with a king size bed and another sofa bed that would sleep two more, great bonus !! Entry to Copper Face Jacks through the hotel which was perfect, one minute you are in the hallway of the hotel and the next thing you open this door and your in the middle of the smoking room in Copper Face Jacks, perfect because it was a Sat night and the ques were crazy. The breakfast the following morning was fab and the nice receptionist gave us 12 pm check out instead of 11.a.m with no extra charge. Overall the Hotel was perfect for us, maybe if your looking for a good night sleep i wouldnt recommend it but for us it was perfect, going booking again the next time we head up to Dublin !

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

Not the hotel we had originally booked, but due to a double booking our hotel moved us to the Jackson Court Hotel which worked out much better! It is located no more than 10 mins walk from the main shopping area and St. Stephen's Green and about 20mins walk from Temple Bar.
Our room was massive, with two double beds for myself and my friend and was very well kept and decorated. The hotel is split over the main building and the one next door and has a nightclub downstairs which might not suit everyone but being in our twenties it was perfect for us. Although it did operate an over-21s policy and being 20 we weren't allowed in. However the second building (which our room was in) had a one way door leading straight into the nightclub and we weren't troubled once inside. Very random! Not sure how noisy it would be on weekends though as we stayed mid-week but i imagine it could be very loud with the people leaving in the early hours. The management were also a bit dubious about letting two young girls stay in the hotel for some reason, so may not appreciate large groups of young people!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends