“Don't believe all you read before trying yourself!!”
Review of Fitzsimons Hotel

Fitzsimons Hotel
Ranked #133 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Myself (41), husband (45) & father in law stayed (82 ) in this hotel 16 - 18 march over St paddys weekend. Rooms 103 & 104.
We absolutely loved it. Yes it's noisy but it states in the listing & that's part
of the atmosphere. Just bring ear plugs if the noise bothers u that much. The
staff are very kind, helpfull & nothing's too much trouble. Especially the 2
lovely ladies who work really really hard who served breakfast in the morning &
worked through to serve in the bar through the evening.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as I found it excellent value for
money & smack bang in the middle of all amenities.

Thanx for an enjoyable, pleasant stay & we will definately stay again in the
future. We loved it. x

Room Tip: Just take ear plugs if you find it hard to sleep with noise, but as the listing states, this is a ni...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa_Dave16032012

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Ok, so we were in Dublin for the weekend with our friends for a bit of craic. We were audience members for Brendan O'Connor.

Anyway, I chose this hotel as I was very familiar with its location and the area. The plan was to go on the lash for the night so what better place than Temple Bar.

Upon check in, the girl at the front desk was absolutely in love with her mobile. Not very friendly but its no surprise. Consider it a party favour from the Celtic "Illusion" days.

We walk up to our room and couldn't believe the absolute disgrace of the place. Carpet that's been frayed to bits all along the side, the beds were rotten, most likely from 10 years ago and the place had an odd smell to it.

Anyway, we got on grand for the night but one of the nicest things was the breakfast the next morning. Simple and tasty of all our favourites. If it weren't for the breakfast, we would have had a major issue on our hands.

What made matters worst was I think I paid €90 for the night for this place when I could have stayed at the Four Seasons Dublin for an extra tenner!

Room Tip: Not great value although not much is in Temple Bar. Look around for better deals. You'll find th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Comedinewithmegalway
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Was recently at a snow patrol gig & booked the hotel for 1 night for me and my two friends. Was very easy to find hotel. We were given keys to room 101 When we arrived in our room, there was a smell of damp, room was very outdated & carpets had not been hoovered properly. There was no doors on our wardrobe and the walls had various stains on it and sockets by telly were coming away from the wall. The room was freezing and there were draughts coming from the windows. I went down to reception and I explained the situation. They said that the heating was off and that it was due to come on. I said its too cold as there is a draft from the windows I was told the windows were conserved and they couldn't update them. We were moved to room 207. This room was a little better but was still freezing. There was even a bath towel put across the window to stop a draft coming in. We rang reception 3 times about the heating and eventually the manager came up & explained there was an issue with the boiler. He gave us complimentary drinks for the inconvience heating eventually came on. When we returned to the room that night it was freezing, no heating on in the room when we got into bed , it felt damp and there was a strange smell from sheets and in the morning there was still no heating. There are no tea making facilaties in the room or gair dryers I complained to receptionist when I was checking out. She didn't seem interested or bothered. I had booked my boyfriend and I in this hotel for a gig in march but I will defo not be staying there I've cancelled it. Can't believe it's a three star hotel, I've stayed in nicer hostels. So disappointed with my stay there

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Lostwander
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed in this "hotel" in January as my two friends and I were going to a concert in the O2. We booked the hotel, and paid €120 for a room. We expected that it would be pretty basic, but we didnt mind as we only wanted somewhere clean and warm to stay for the night, and it was in a good central location.

We arrived at the hotel around 12 midday. We were aware that check-in wasnt until 2 o'clock but we decided we'd ask if it would be ok to drop off our bags. Upon arrival, we had to press a buzzer and wait for somebody to let us in, which immediately made a poor first impression. The lady behind the reception desk was quite friendly and chatty. We asked if it would be possible to leave our bags there, rather than haul them around the shops and she told us that there was actually a treble room ready on the first floor, and that we could take it if we wanted, or we could wait for one on the second floor. We said we'd be happy to take the room that was ready. Whilst she checked us in, she chatted with us and asked us if we'd be heading out later. We told her we were going to the O2 and she was very helpful, advising us where we should go to get the Luas etc. She gave us our key (yes, one key) and asked that when we were leaving that we'd leave it in at reception rather than take it off the premises. We thought this was a system that went out in the 1990s, but we said we would. Then she advised us that because Temple Bar was such a popular party spot, there might be a bit of noise coming from the streets, but we said it wouldnt bother us too much as we'd be going out ourselves.
We headed up to our room. We got the lift, which rattled and shook as it took us to the first floor! As soon as we opened the door of our room (which took a good 2 minutes because the key wouldnt turn in the lock at first), the first thing that we noticed was that the room was absolutely freezing. There was a draught going through the room. We immediately went to the windows to close them, only to discover they werent even open, and that the draught was coming the sides of the glass. We checked the radiators and they were off. We then looked around the room and felt like we'd been time warped back to the 1970s.....The room was so dark and dreary, and the furniture, curtains and bed covers were old and dated. The bathroom was tiny and the bathroom tiles clearly hadnt ever been regrouted, making the bathroom look filthy. We were really disappointed, but we said we'd still try to make the most of our trip and get out to the shops, and surely the room would be warmer later when we'd return.
We reluctantly went back to the hotel at around 3.30 that afternoon. We opened our room door to be greeted by the gale force wind blowing through it. The radiators were still off. We sat down trying to decide if we should look for an alternative hotel, but after having a brief look on the internet (which, by the way, wouldnt work off the free wifi that was advertised), we discovered that there was nothing available near Temple Bar, and we really didnt have the time to move further out of the city centre. Whilst we were trying to figure out what to do, we noticed a few other things about the room. There was black lumps of dirt (like really old chewing gum) stuck to the bed spread on one of the beds, and a strange white stain on one of the others, there was cigarette ashes on the carpet between two of the beds, and a number of, what appeared to be toe nails, on another spot. We pulled back the covers on one of the beds, only to find hairs in it. The walls were filthy, with streaks of something or other running down along them. We contacted reception, and asked if we could change rooms. We went into explaining the problems we had with the other room, but the lady (who checked us in) didnt seem interested in listening to them. She said she'd call us back. Ten minutes later, a girl came to the door and said they had a better room for us. We went down to get the key and tried to tell them about all the things that were wrong with the other room. The woman who checked us in was now rude and abrupt, and told us that "this is the first cold day we've had"......Being from Clare, Ive never spent a Christmas in Dublin, and I didnt think the climate could be so different up there to the rest of the country in the winter months that would justify not having the heating on!!! I told her I didnt think the carpets had been hoovered, and she ignored this. There was another staff member in the reception area and she started to say something about there being a problem with the windows in that room, and she was quickly interupted and told to be quite. They gave us the key to our new room. As we were heading back upstairs (we didnt trust the lift), a man arrived in reception and said told us that the heating would be on in ten minutes. We asked was the room going to be as cold as the last and he talked across us, gave us some line about the windows being preserved and that there was nothing the could do about them.
We went to the new bedroom, and it was definitely more modern and cleaner than the first room. However, it was everybit as cold. There was a towel stuffed around the window in the bathroom, obviously keeping a breeze out. The radiators werent on, but we said we'd give it the ten minutes to heat up........Forty minutes later, they were still not on. We contacted reception again, and the same lady answered and said somebody would come up and take a look, and then hung up on us. Half an hour later, she arrived up with a guy who must've been a manager. The woman was still going on about how the weather hadnt been cold all along (??!!!), and that once the heating kicked in we'd be asking them to turn it down, because the place would be so warm! Anyway, the man with her (who seemed friendly and plesant) checked the radiators, and said that there had been an issue with their boiler but that they were after sorting it and that the heating would be on shortly. He told us to call to the bar for a drink on the house when we were heading out. The heating eventually came on but the radiators never heated up fully.
We went to our concert and hit the town after and didnt return until around 3am, only to find the room was as cold as it had been when we'd been moved into it. One of us checked out earlier than the other two the next day, and mentioned it to the receptionist who was on. She didnt even pretend to care about what being said, and dismissively said there would be a manager around later. By the time the other two of us were leaving, we didnt even bother saying anything, as we just wanted to see the back of the place. We left the key on the counter and as we were going out the door, the receptionist smirked at us and said "Thanks. Bye now".

Please dont put yourself through this a night in this place. Ive stayed in a lot of hotels. Im not a snob. For a concert or a night out, Im more than happy with basic accommodation, as long as its clean and warm, which are very very basic requirments. This hotel didnt match up, and im appaled that in this day and age, where the country is in recession and people are crying out for jobs, that people like the staff we met here are actually being employed at all, never mind in the hospitality sector. Talk about putting people off visiting Dublin or indeed Ireland!!!! And im also amazed that, with businesses being forced to close their doors every day, a hotel like this with such poor standards has survived this long. I was going to write a letter to the managment but I figured Id get no satisfaction. The most they might offer would be a free a night there, and Id sooner sleep in a skip. It wouldnt be any colder and probably a hell of a lot cleaner.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bannergal
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I've stayed in hostels that are nicer than this "hotel". If you're just looking for a place to pass out after a night on the town, FitzSimons might be for you...if you don't mind filthy carpets, indifferent staff, an ancient, scary, rickety lift, tiny, dingy rooms with no amenities (you even have to specifically request a teakettle!), beds that are about twelve inches from the floor (which, again, was filthy), and WiFi that only works in the hallways, despite their advertising "WiFi in every room". They also keep the front door locked- you have to wait for the receptionist to see you and let you in- which only added to the atmosphere that screamed "low-class". We stayed in our room for approximately ten minutes before deciding that we didn't want to ruin our Dublin holiday by remaining in this disgusting place. After that we had to wait twenty minutes in the lobby for the head receptionist to return, to ensure that we would not be charged for cancelling our reservation. It was obvious that the receptionist was quite used to people checking out before spending a single night, as she was totally indifferent and showed no interest in finding solutions to our specific complaints. She only mumbled that we might want to talk to the bar manager before leaving, which would have been pointless as we had no interest in the bar. I'd advise people to stay anywhere but here!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L F
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Hotel was noisy, but great central location for Temple Bar area and all of Dublin. We walked everywhere. Large bathroom and bedroom. Loved the full sized tub. Continental breakfast included. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: We had a room in the corner, facing the River LIffey and a side street. Every room, you will hear s...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MaryEllen E
Glengarry, Manager at Fitzsimons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Dear Mary Ellen,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on TripAdvisor about your stay at Fitzsimons Hotel. We are delighted to hear you thought our staff were friendly and you enjoyed your room. We are located in Temple Bar which is the most lively area of the city for tourists and locals during the evenings however as you mentioned our location is hard to beat.

We hope to see you back again in Dublin someday soon, stay in touch on facebook or twitter

Yours sincerely

Aidan P. Fitzsimons

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Ive been going to Dublin for over 10 years now & this was the worst place ive had the misfortune to stay!!!
I picked this hotel for its central location but that was the only selling point!

The staff were very unwelcoming & very unhelpful, not even so much as a smile when my friend & I arrived. The room was small, wardrobe had a door missing & the inside was dirty, carpet was dirty, beds were lumpy, no air conditioning & the bathroom......
It was a good size but it wasnt clean, shower curtain was filthy, mirror shelf was dusty & to top it off there was ---- on 3 of the 4 walls!!! I did bring this disgusting find to the attention of the staff & at the very least I wanted it cleaned or maybe a change of room but I was told it would be dealt with when they had a chance!!! I was horrified!!!

Please dont make the same mistake I did & stay here just for its location, you will find somewhere better!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Dear DollyKaren

Thank you for providing your detailed feedback about your stay with us.

It is dissapointing to hear that you had a negative experience and we always welcome the opportunity to improve.

We have since engaged in an upgrade program of the rooms on the floor you stayed in which have recently been inspected by and approved to 3 star hotel rating by the Irish Hotel Federation who have extremely high standards. Our staff are trained to be welcoming, professional and helpful at all times.

Yours sincerely