“ATROCIOUS”
Review of Fitzsimons Hotel

Fitzsimons Hotel
Ranked #134 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I would like to start by saying that I have never reviewed a hotel before but felt compelled to do so after I made the mistake of staying in Fitzsimons last week. On arrival to our room it was shabby to say the least, the furniture was old and worn and in dire need of upgrading. On first inspection the room appeared clean, but the following day as I was using the facilities in the bathroom I noticed what appeared to be the traces of vomit on the underside of the sink. Clearly the room had just been given a "once over" as the curtains were not clean either.
A good night's sleep is something that you will certainly not get in this establishment, as the noise levels in the room can only be compared to that of being on the street-I felt like every person in Temple Bar walked straight past me as I frustratedly tried to sleep!!
The room was also freezing cold, even with the heating on.
When we complained the following morning, the management basically said that we should have stayed somewhere else and that noise levels are very well documented on their website. We booked on a booking website and there was no mention of noise on it. Clearly customer service is not part of the training for the staff of this hotel as they were extremely rude and discourteous and downright patronizing. I would imagine that where the hotel offers little in the way of comfort, that excellent customer service should be way in which the hotel could redeem itself. Apparently not.
I would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel, not unless you would like to pay money to spend a sleepless night in a freezing cold, dated dungeon, where the staff think its funny that someone would find this unacceptable.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ElleM25

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Had to wait an hour and a half for room because of an error made by hotel receptionist was rude in handling the problem bar staff are ignorant..all staff lack customer service skills!..the rooms were small and dirty no hair dryer tea/coffee making facilities for €110 a night disgraceful..very noisy area and window didn't close properly..the place really calls for an undercover boss situation to see the goings on and how staff are treating customers. Also need to do something about the price either stock room up with they right accessories or take down price!NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Emmycarr
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Inexpensive yes, but everything about the place confirmed that you get what you pay for. The room was a disgrace. Basically a cupboard with a couple of beds in, blankets and carpets that may have been rejects from the 70's and a bathroom that desperately needed some TLC. The staff were rude, dismissive and far too busy with their personal calls to consider any requests we made. Where was the kettle/hairdryer etc?! 'Hotel' basics surely?! In summary: I wouldn't bother.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Masi886
Reviewed 8 October 2013

First off, im only reviewing the hotel. The bar attached was pretty good! Second, I won't ever stay here again. Third, unless you are a stuck for a temple bar bed for the night I wouldnt recommend you stay here either. Staff were cold, discourteous and rude. Rooms were not dirty but I couldn't say they were clean either - cobwebs, dust, generally poor condition and bad upkeep - the shower head was connect to the wall by the remnants of the grip and some sticky tape and regardless of what direction you tried to move it so that you could get under the water it just kept slipping back to its sad little droop water pointing straight at the wall. This wasn't just the room I stayed in but friends as well. One of the party even had a sash window fall on their hand, when the staff were advised they said it had happened before, that is why they had provided a wooden block to prop it open..... That was all the explanation they gave and no mention of an incident report or any normal health and safety checks. Windows were a general issue, in my room, the window panes were cracked, not all but at least one in each window plus despite not being able to open the windows the cold air still got in, I realise it's an old building but really, that shouldn't be an excuse. Anyway, I don't think we paid a lot for the room and i am one of those "you get what you paid for people" but it wasn't cheap by any means despite booking 4 months in advance we paid the same rate as you would at Jurys or Maldron and to have to pay extra to get a hot breakfast in the morning (not that we knew that until the morning) well that's just not right in my head. Overall, I got the feeling that the hotel was just an after thought to the bar which as I said at the top of the review is pretty good and a different world entirely from the hotel but there are certain standards you expect regardless of price or location or clientele or brand and this place didn't meet any of them. If you read my other reviews youll know im not a "Hilton Diamond Club" member or anything like that lol and have only ever given a 1 star to another hotel despite using them very regularly all over Europe for business and leisure but this time i was really disappointed, the location and the building itself are fantastic I would like to see someone else come in and make something amazing here, when that happens I'll return until then, no. chance.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank spdm7326
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at the Fitzsimons with my mate over a two day period while touring through the UK. The hotel has a night club and bar which is great for young travelers. The problem I encountered was continued harassment by their security detail as to whether indeed I was a guest or was just trying to get into their nightclub or bar. They have multiple entrances into the hotel via the bar which are manned to keep certain people OUT..Even as a paying guest at this Hotel I felt uncomfortable every time I entered the property. I was told the security was for my benefit. I'm saying to You Fitzsimons, Make it a point, that your staff know the PAYING guests of your establishment….

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Josh007
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Basic but a fair price for a hotel in the thick of things, it was clean and well presented, however the down points were, no hair dryer, no tea/coffee making facilities but big yes for the complimentary water and the safe in the room. Hot water aplenty and the towels were nice and large. Not a place to stay without earplugs but what do you expect. Biggest downside was finding mould on my toast in the morning, other than that breakfast was great.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Basically a nightclub with some rooms attached. The music finished at 4 am and I felt every minute of it in my first floor room. If that doesn't get you the traffic and passing party goers at its corner location at the edge of Temple Bar and the Quays will. Fails the most basic test of a hotel - not able to provide a nights sleep. If bizarrely you are still interested in staying there, otherwise its basic and functional.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business