“Never again”
Review of Dergvale Hotel

Dergvale Hotel
Ranked #74 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel on Wednesday night, 26/06/2013. It was a last minute trip to Dublin for a funeral so I did not have time to check out other hotels close to Glasnevin Cemetery. According to the internet site I booked through, this hotel had the basic facilities I would require for one night's stay. The following list of facilities are said to be available, but I found that not to be the case.

24-hour front desk
Bar/lounge
Cable TV service
Check-in time starts at (1 PM)
Check-out time is (11 AM)
Complimentary newspapers in lobby
Free Wi-Fi
Hair dryer
Individually decorated
Individually furnished
Iron/ironing board (on request)
Luggage storage
Number of floors - (3)
Parking nearby
Parking nearby (surcharge)
Pets not allowed
Safe-deposit box at front desk
Television in lobby
Total number of rooms - (20)
Tour assistance
Wake-up calls
Window opens

No Bar/Lounge, and if there was I did not see it and was not informed where it was located.
No Cable tv service, I had a small tv with snowy reception and bad sound, too loud/too quite.
No telephone to be seen.
No hair dryer. I had a quick shower on the morning of departure and had to leave with my hair soaking wet.
I had a booked a twin room which turned out to be a small corridor on the 3rd floor which meant I had to climb 6 flights of stairs. The so called shared bathroom was grubby when I arrived and just as grubby when I left and there was no toilet roll after one night. The shower room was out of order on arrival and still out of order the following morning. Might I also mention the shared bathroom was 3 floors down from my room.
There was no smoking allowed, even thought I was asked at the time of booking if I wanted a smoking room to which I had replied yes. There is no smoking area so therefore you are directed out on to the street to smoke. That may seem ok, but when you are been buzzed in and buzzed out of a premises as the door is kept locked at all times, smoking out side does not seem such a good idea, Does not say much for the neighbour hood. I would never even consider staying here again at any price. I would not take free accommodation in the place. I could go on but I am just reliving the nightmare as I am typing so I will leave it up to your own judgement.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank M_Mulvey

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We have stayed in Dergvale over the last weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This is a fab 2* hotel in the city providing all facilities you could think of.
Room & bathroom were very clean, bed was extremely comfortable.
The breakfast was delicious and staff always very friendly and attentive. It's close to all tourist attractions. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Based on reviews I read on TripAdvisor, I recently spent four nights here with my brother on our first trip to Dublin.

The location was great: it's a five to ten minute walk to O'Connell Street, where you'll find many of the tourist attractions. It's also reasonably priced and clean. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and breakfast to be tasty and filling (and free!).

On the downside, it's a little out of date. The room keys are skeleton keys attached to giant wooden blocks -- not the most secure or convenient solution. Additionally, there aren't any individual room controls for the temperature, which means you're at the mercy of whomever is working the front desk. The hotel also has wifi, but only in the lobby, where it's spotty at best.

Still, I'd stay at this hotel again, as it seemed a fair enough value for the cost.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I had called a few days in advance to inquire about early check-in as the flight from Chicago arrives early morning in Dublin. I spoke with Olga and she was very nice but mentioned they were fully booked but we could drop our luggage. We arrived and Nancy was on duty and her first response to us was "well you are very early". And told us to go sit in the front lobby and wait for her. We felt very unwelcome. She did reappear and informed us our room would be ready at 10:00 am which changed our opinion of our first encounter. The room was a triple and was nice enough and clean. Our 2nd day there we had to catch a tour bus at 9:30am and we came down to breakfast only to have Nancy meet us at the door of the breakfast room and shoo us out saying we have to wait in the Lobby, I told her we had to leave by 9:00am to catch our tour but she just told us to go and wait. There were some single parties sitting at tables for 4 which she could have tried to rearrange to seat us, but she was not accommodating at all. We ended up leaving and eating at McDonalds. Overall she was not the image of a friendly B&B hostess. Olga was very nice and an older gentleman on duty one night was nice and helped book a tour.
I would probably not stay again only because of Nancy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as it was close to the city centre. Hotel basic but very clean. Could do with some refurbishment. staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice. On the top floor with a shared bathroom. Bathroom was freezing and shower not very powerful. All in all this hotel was ok and even though it was basic it was fine for us as we were out all day

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed 3 nights and found the hotel staff to be wonderfully helpful and the hotel very nice. Would stay again and highly recommend. Two of us had an early tour and they opened the kitchen just to ensure we had breakfast. And when we dragged in tired and cold after a very bust day they offerered tea and cookies, which was very welcome!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This hotel is excellent value for money. The bed was quite comfy and the room was spacious. The bathroom was very small but didn't mind that. The hotel is quiet as it is about 15 mins from the city centre, however I will say that the walls are PAPER thin, you can almost hear what people in the next room are saying. The place is very clean, you are provided with a substantial breakfast which is included in the price and also it is open 24 hours so there's no concern about keeping your keys on you.

Room Tip: The rooms with single beds are tiny so if you're staying more than one night definitly ask for a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends