“Second Honeymoon Horror”

Ranked #137 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Second Honeymoon Horror”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at Barry's hotel 34 years ago on our honeymoon.
Our stay back then was great. So I thought it would be a good idea to return for our anniversary.
It was not Cheep £158 euro for 2 nights bed and breakfast. yet the sign outside said said double rooms from 45 Euro ??? NI Rail had compatible deals with rail included.
When we arrived I noticed t the bottom of the registration form that the hotel was in receivership!! and that the bar was now closed. This is the sort of information you would expect be made aware of on booking.
I told the gentleman on reception of our story and asked for a nice room. He said all of the rooms are nice. He then gave us room ten saying it was lucky!! For whom it was lucky I am am not sure but it was not for us.the room was in need of extreme redecoration.The bed side tables were stained the TV was a very old portable and if you wanted a remote there was a ten Euro. deposit so I decided to splash out but there was no remote available.
The Bed !!!! My God it was a very old spring sort with no support whatsoever and total roll together. The only way to have recreated our honeymoon on this bed was for us to have been a troupe of circus acrobat's.
No bath just a very small shower that I just about got in too but had to get out as I was about to have a panic attack.
Breakfast was in the old bar it was dark depressing the hotel is understaffed.
However that staff is the old hotels best asset God help them they are doing their best with what they have got to work with.
There is no where to sit during the day and the bedroom with the small TV with 4 channels was a no no.
Time to close the doors I think very very sad end for what used to be a wee gem of a hotel.
RIP Barry's.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colin k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel was good, I found it to be very good value for money. We stayed for 3 nights and upon arrival were upgraded to a family room. So the size ended up being fabulous. Was annoying that the Wi-Fi only worked on the ground floor, and breakfast was pretty average. The main issue was no elevator - we were on the 3rd floor and had a suitcase each of almost 20 kilos! I thought not having an elevator in a hotel that size was a bit ridiculous. The location was good as it was walking distance from O'Connell Street. The staff were absolutely lovely, and also very helpful as we were having a camera posted to the hotel from back home and they always kept us up to date, and when it was a day later than expected a staff member actually contacted the post office to find out its exact location, so that was great!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank KelsterSA
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I was very unhappy with my stay here. The room wasn't great considering how much I payed for it, for the same money you could stay in a much nicer hotel. The walls were full of holes, some covered with masking tape. lights were held together with duct tape, and one thing that really annoyed me was that there was no way to turn off the radiator in the room. I don't enjoy waking up soaked in sweat. The only redeeming things about this hotel was the location and the very friendly younger girl at counter. That was it. I don't recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Darrio84

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Strabane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed €109 for a room with no bar in hotel apparently closed last year. we werent told until we booked in. no wifi road noise was awful all night sleeping wasnt easy so dated needs a complete face lift cleaning was average breakfast €7.50 extra. advertised from € 45 per night per room I wouldn't like to see those rooms the one big plus was location which was ideal if the place was modernised it would be near perfect. Decent bar down the street tho called murrays

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jane c
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Just returned from a four day stay in Dublin Ireland. We managed to get a real bargain at Barry's Hotel. I must say our stay at Barry's was just great. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless, spacious and they gave us a wonderful breakfast. The location of the hotel was quiet 2 minutes and we were in the centre of O'Connell Street, we were never charged for the remote control or the hair drier. All these were all offered free to us. Another thing I will praise Barry's for is that tea,coffee,sugar and milk were supplied every day. I loved my early cup of tea and my late night cuppa. Well done Barry's and thanks I will surely recommend you to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor rooms save you walking too many stairs. There is no lift at Barry's. Thi...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
ireland
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed for five nights as a family. the price was brilliant and worth the money. hotel is old but the bedroom was lovely big and very clean as we had a ten month old baby and spacious and the breakfast was first class and the staff were friendly. The manager was very kind to us and took his time to have a chat with you compare to some hotels. Its five mins walk from temple street chidrens hospital and ten min walk to city center. Its a safe hotel. We will definately stay there again when we are up in dublin. Its in perfect location and the price was brilliant

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 3 January 2013

For the price I payed (right before New Year's Eve) the hotel was OK. Very friendly staff, and very clean room. The heating didn't work in the room I stayed, but fortunately it wasn't very cold. Someone stole the picture on the wall, so that looked a bit creepy. TV remotes are available at reception for a fee of 10 euro (no idea if those money are refunded or not, I used the TV's buttons), as well as the hair dryer, but I wasn't charged for the hair dryer, they seemed to trust me :) All in all, I enjoyed the stay there, especially cause it's in the city center, literally 2 minutes walk to there. And, again, very clean :) Oh, forgot to mention, i payed 96 euro for 2 nights stay, while other hotels were either all full or they only had rooms available for the price of the 178 euro per night minimum. (I stayed there 28-30th of December)

Room Tip: If you choose or are offered room 20, be aware that the heat doesn't work in this room :) And if...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends