“Convenient but Average”
Review of Barry's Hotel

Barry's Hotel
Ranked #136 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Barry's Hotel is is very convenient to Dublin city centre. The hotel is not very well decorated - a bit dated. Room was similar. However, bed linen spotless. Bed was a bit small for my six foot three length. Shower/ toilet room was very cramped. But in fairness, the rates were very reasonsble when other hotels were booked out.

Room Tip: No elevator (lift). So, if you are not fully able-bodied, get a room on the lower floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed in the hotel from 20th Mar- to 22nd March. Arrived hotel a bit early but the lady in the reception was very welcome and gave us the key of storage hence we were able to go out to find something to eat without worrying luggage.
The hotel is located in a very convenient area--Upper O'Connell street There were no coat hangers in the wardrobe. The facilities were very basic--a small TV on the table and a chair. But I didn't care because no one stayed in the hotel during their stay.
There was no heating in the evening. The temperature was almost zero in the evening so it was cold in the room tho. The shower was ok although the water wasn't that warm.
The soundproof wasn't great at all. Was waking up around 6AM by the talking in the next door.
The bar was closed so no comment on that. There is a coffee called Candy Coffee just around the corner was nice, Had breakfast every morning in there. Hotel is in a short distance to the stop 1 of hop on--hop off bus .
Dublin is an expensive city, two pints of beer can be more than 10 euros. I enjoyed my stay in Barry's hotel . I wouldn't mind to go back again. But few more details will make this hotel a perfect one.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor can get a good WI FI connection
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ybyuan2001
Reviewed 11 March 2014

arrived at barrys hotel on 7th march and got checked into room.mate was to get a shower before we were goin out.no warm water and no pressure in shower either.got another room then after some arguments with guy on reception.this time the base of the shower was overflowing all over the bathroom floor.spoke to reception again and handy man came and started to plunge the plughole.got another room then and the shower was awful as well with hardly and pressure.u would of got wet more in the rain outside.we gave up at this stage and went out to get dinner and drinks in town.then saturday morning went for breakfast and told by receptoin ther wasnt any as repairs on floor was taken place.after more arguments we got a refund for breakfasts and offer to move to another hotel.the hotel was of a bad smell to and damp.i am not 1 for complaning but never been in a worse standard of hotel and wouldnt give it 1 star rating.my mate and i stayed on the saturday nite as we were just in dublin for rugby match and it was just somewere to sleep that saturday nite in a very basic room.fellow travellers to this hotel YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WARNED AS ITS A HOTEL FROM HELL AND STAFF ARE NO USE TO MAN NOR BEAST AS TOTALLY UNHELPFUL.I WAS GLAD TO OF GOT OUT OF THE PLACE ON SUNDAY 8TH MARCH 2014.

Room Tip: never book this hotel as its a dundering in place.out dated .decor terrible.small bathrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The good news was that the nightclub, lap-dancing club and casino were all closed down for refurbishment, as was the bar. So sleeping was only made difficult by the sound of the water pipes resonating every time someone turned off a tap. Also, the bedlinen was very clean and the rooms had recently been decorated.

The bad news was that the wi-fi did not work in the rooms, the television did not work, the bedside lamps may have worked but lacked bulbs and there was no kettle. The shower cubicle was of a size better suited to a small boat or mini- camper van.

A friendly receptionist lent me 'the kettle' to make herb tea one evening, but the following evening another receptionist refused, saying that tea and coffee facilities were not included in the room price. I pointed out that business would improve with such simple things included, but he disagreed.

Then, as my colleague and I went to go upstairs to our separate rooms, the receptionist called up to say that my colleague had only paid for one person in his room and could not take me up. The fact that Barry's may see itself as a venue for prostitution, and wish to maximise its take on the trade, does not justify insulting guests. I was extremely offended, and, while all other staff were very nice, this particular incident has shaped my view of the place.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Fi O
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed a few nights. The hotel is cheap and in city center, that's was very ideal. The beds were comfy enough. The hotel and especially the bathroom were a bit smelly.. Not very nice. And the other thing is that the wifi doesn't work... :( And the fact that you have to carry your suitcases on many steps is a bit of hard work.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the second floor, many steps and doors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I booked a few nights in Barry’s as it was the cheapest place in town and I was pleasantly surprised by it all. Yes it’s a little bit run down and the stairs between the first and second floor a bit of maze and health hazard, especially if you’re knees aren’t in the best of shape. But the rooms themselves are big, with plenty of space to move about in. To be honest, the first room I was in was badly finished off. As in the painters didn’t even bother painting the walls behind the bed board and the mains leading to the power point were exposed for about a foot and a half.
But the other rooms I slept in were a lot nicer than that.
I always slept well here and there was none of the noise you can get in hostels. Although sometimes passing yobs just had to shout their mouths off from the streets below, but you can hardly blame Barry’s for that. It was the weekend and that is to be expected.
The first morning I was here, I went into the old bar which is now being converted into a dining room to get some breakfast. On my way, I had to pass reception and when I first saw the owner. She seemed a bit out of it while talking to an Eastern European worker and her face was plastered with make up. I asked myself if I had stayed in a hotel or a brothel. Anyway, I went inside and got my buffet breakfast which had a surprising amount of choice. They even serve porridge here. I have to say it was great value, 5€ got me the afore mentioned porridge, coffee, yoghurts, toast and spreads and some fruit from the bowl and some orange juice. There were all kinds of cereals too as well as sunflower seeds and various other seeds and nuts. Quite a spread for €5 I think you’ll agree.
It’s not the salubrious hotel in Dublin. Not by a long shot. But for €40 a night, you’d be hard pressed to find better value. In fact, unless you’re prepared to spend the night in the Russell Court Hotel with its thumping nightclub bass pounding the walls, you won’t a better deal in Dublin. The staff are nice and friendly and a lot nice than other high market hotels.
I think I’d go so far as to say Barry’s is one of Dublin’s best kept secrets.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Bed as comfy. Facility as clean. The front desk employee was rude. I told him that the lock on my door was not working. He told me "that was just the way it was." So at anytime someone could have entered my room and stolen all of my belongings. That seems safe...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo