“Highly mediocre”

Handels Hotel Temple Bar
Ranked #58 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lots of pluses and many minuses. I stayed for two nights.

On the plus side, my room was huge by any standards - particularly as I had booked for single occupancy. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable, linen excellent quality, bathroom contained all the necessary though I don't like pump dispensers for shower gel. The location is great and very central.

On the minus side, these are relatively few but relatively serious.

Kicking off with the big one, there was no hot water on my first morning. I had to be out at a certain time, had to take a cold shower and it was miserable! I went to the front desk on my way to breakfast - hair clearly still wet. The girl was friendly and vaguely apologetic with a happy - misplaced - smile and told me that the whole hotel was out of hot water - something to do with engineers doing work and forgetting to turn it back on. But it was fine because it would be back on in 20 minutes. Possibly but this didn't figure with my schedule. To be fair there was plenty of hot water the second morning and when it worked, the shower pumped out the water with loads of pressure. I did find the bath needed a non-slip mat though.

Next biggest was that there is not one single non-Irish TV channel available. As someone who is news-hungry and needy for news channels, I felt deprived. I know perfectly well that Irish TV has access to UK TV as standard and don't know why the BBC was denied to guests, never mind CNN and Sky or the rest. I happen to be odd in that I like a lull of TV news on all night - having nothing to listen to in the wakeful hours was boring and difficult.

Third, they have a very nicely decorated bar which was closed. Though they offered to open it especially for me and my guests - nice - it lacked any sort of atmosphere due to lack of traffic.

Finally, breakfast was verging on the not okay. Horrible tasting coffee and a meager buffet. There was a menu for cooked but none of it appealed and I didn't have time anyway.

All in all, a disappointing experience and I am still waiting in vain for the manager to get in touch with me for a refund discussion on the lack of hot water my first night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Theodora M
There are newer reviews for Handels Hotel Temple Bar

Reviewed 8 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank ricardo_cescon
GFH-Manager, Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Easy to locate hotel and nearby parking driving from Dublin port. Good size room given central location, comfortable bed and quiet. Simple check-in, no problems. Very good location - short walk to Temple Bar and lots of restaurants and pubs even nearer.
Would be happy to use for a longer trip; only minor problem is that car park they recommend charged more than 50% more than their information suggested it would.

Room Tip: Higher floors sensible ... not a lot of street noise on the Sunday night that we were there, but clo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. We are very lucky to be located in a supremely convenient location in the city centre. With regards to the car park payment, if you could email me at: alex@georgefrederichandelhotel.com detailing the amount you were charged I will look in to the matter with the car park manager as I wish to avoid such instances of misinformation occurring with our guests in the future. Thank you again for your positive review and we hope to welcome you back again soon at our hotel.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

What made our stay special was the eagerness of the staff to make sure we knew how to find local restaurants, pubs, and tourist attractions. They helped us arrange for buses, taxis etc. I would describe the hotel facility itself as a bit dated, but very clean. As indicated in other reviews, ideally located for tourists. We would definitely return.

Stayed: May 2014
GFH-Manager, Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for lovely review! It was a pleasure having you and I will certainly pass on your review to our staff. With regards to our rooms we are in the middle of updating them and hope if you come stay with us again that you will be pleasantly surprised by the improvements we are implementing.

If you would like to make a booking with us in the future please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Alex Hurduc

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Cracking hotel, nice rooms (great showers!!!!). Just where you want to be - away from the noisy bars but two minutes to where all the action is.
Very friendly staff, clean and reasonable price too.
Good choice at breakfast, served with a smile
Well worth a visit if you are looking to discover Dublin.

Room Tip: It's not a big hotel so book early. Oh, and you get a good deal by booking directly with the hot...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for chossing The George Frederic Handel Hotel and thank you for your kind review. We pride ourselves on our customer service and alway appreciate it when we see the feedback that reflects these standards.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We (a party of 5) were in a 3 BR apartment the Frederic Handel hotel offers (and for a group it is better than three separate rooms!) One of the 3 bedrooms ( a single) opened onto the kitchen area like a loft sort of setting, so you could look out and down like you're on a balcony. There was no real wall but it was up high. That would not be conducive to sleep IF people were visiting down in the kitchen/ living area. Our BR was small but comfy, and one double room was larger, like a true master BR. In the end everyone was very happy! The staff was friendly and helpful with where to go. We rented a car and when we got dropped off my husband made the mistake of leaving the car in a zone marked "loading" for 2 minutes. It was painted on the street -one word. We assumed (stupidly) it was a loading/unloading zone like US hotels have because it is in front of the hotel lobby door. We immediately! got a "boot" put on our car and had to pay 80 Pounds and wait for the van to come unlock it. It "happens all the time" to visitors, said our friendly concierge. Being that it happens all the time, they could put up a little warning sign, the city. The parking for the hotel is a few blocks away so be prepared for that but it is a charming walk, once you figure it out! The streets are narrow and charming and old, and they curve around. Very historic area. The hotel apartments are on the side of the hotel, You enter through a locked gate to a terrace area, and then a lock on the building and then a lock for your room. At first the hallway looked very stark but when you opened the door to the apartment it was quite cute and very welcoming.The location is perfect! The price was reasonable. And the staff was friendly! In the evening we could walk to pubs or the historic Jameson Distilleryor the Brazen Boar Head which claims to have been there since the 16th century-the oldest pub in the city, etc. It was a great visit and everyone we encountered in Ireland was very cordial.

Room Tip: We were quite a mix of travelers, one couple and Three single people so sleeping arrangements were s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Katherine,

Thank you once again for booking with The George Frederic Handel Hotel and thank you also for your review.
We appreciate and encourage all feedback from our guests as your perspective is essential to achieving and maintaining the best possible standards.

I would like to thank you for this kind review. It is true, we are very lucky with our location as we are close to all the attractions in the city center yet quiet enough for a good night's sleep which is quite hard to find around Temple Bar.
I'm sorry for the incident with the car, unfortunately Dublin City Council are very strict with parking in the city center, I do agree though that they should put more signs and notices up, especially for tourists.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and help us improve the experience through your very honest and constructive comments.

Kind regards,

Alexandru Hurduc

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had a great stay at George Frederic`s
the room was very clean and big..fast Internet Connection and there is a Little bar ^with cheap beer.

great location.just 5 minutes walk to temple bar (there are all Pubs and bars)

we`ll come back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you wish to return to our hotel in the future you can book direct with us through our website, over the phone or through email. If you have any questions about future bookings please do not hesitate to contact us directly at info@georgefrederichandelhotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.