“Good location, but...”

Ranked #57 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Oslo, Norway
“Good location, but...”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a hotel in the end of Temple Bar District and has a very good location. The staff is also very friendly and service minded!! But if the owner of this hotel has some money to invest I strongly advice him to use it on a aircondition system and Upgrade the plumbing. We where staying in the hotel in some not so warm summerdays, but the heat where unberable even when we got a noicy fan in the room. The shower on the top floor was not functioning, so we got a room on the second floor, but even there the water pressure had a life on it`s own.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear IreneS67,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We always appreciate getting feedback from our guests.
I deeply regret that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay, however I am pleased to be able to inform you that we have already begun a lot of the maintenance and upgrades that you mention, and more besides.
I am also glad that you enjoyed our location, and that you found our staff to be so helpful.
If there is anything more about your stay here that you wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me at alex@roomyield.com

I hope that should you return to Dublin that you will be delighted by the changes we have made,

Alexandru Hurduc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
MUMBAI
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its central location. Located in the heart of the city, adjacent to Christchurch and Dublinia, it is a stone's throw away from the Dublin Castle and Trinity College. The vibrant and lively Temple Bar area is a five minute walk from the hotel. It is well linked to the airport through the "Airlink Express" service and the rest of the city through local buses and Hop On/Off Buses for sightseeing.
We had a room facing the front road. It was a decent sized room with twin beds and an attached bathroom. The room was clean and well kept. The only downside was that it had a persistent musty smell which stayed throughout our visit despite complaining about it. Noise from the neighbouring pub was also very loud and disturbed us till late at night. Breakfast was limited but wholesome. It is a small hotel with limited services. The front office and restaurant staff is courteous and helpful. Overall, we had a pleasant stay at the George Fredric Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear ANJUGOELA MUMBAI,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The George Frederic Handel hotel.
We take your comments very seriously and not only are the rooms being cleaned intensively, we are also continually updating any of our older fixtures and fittings.
I hope that should you return to Dublin, you will be delighted with our improvements.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I must say I was apprehensive after reading the reviews after I had already made my reservation. However, I was not disappointed!! Our room was located at the front of the building but we were not disturbed by any outside noise, the room itself was lovely and the staff were great. Breakfast was very enjoyable and we were more than happy with the self service breakfast which we had on our second day in the new breakfast room. Yes there is some refurb work going on which means that the bar is not fully open but none of the works hindered our stay and there are dozens of bars within falling distance!!
We would like to thank the staff for making us so welcome and we wish the new management team well for their future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear LesleyMSlater,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this glowing review.
We are delighted to hear that you so enjoyed your stay with us. We are doing our utmost to ensure that there is as little impact as possible upon our guests while the refurbishments are going on, so it is good to know that we have succeeded!
We hope you will come and stay with us again soon should you return to Dublin.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We only stayed in this hotel for one night but I must say I would certainly recommend it. The rooms was clean and comfortable, it was central to where we wanted to be, the breakfast was lovely but most of all the staff were polite and extremely helpful

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Aggiesmith,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, in particular our staff will be delighted to hear your comments, as they pride themselves on their friendliness and helpfulness.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Worcester
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had a sudden panic after reading a couple of recent reviews but paha - no worries when we got there. The room was spacious, clean and had everything we needed for a 3 day stay. The staff were ALL lovely, from the cleaner, to morning waitresses, reception staff etc. The breakfast was good although if you prefer there is a café next door. Great location and we left our bags there on the first day when we arrived early and on the last day as our flight was late at night
The only negative is that I do agree that it is becoming a little tired although still good enough. There is also a bar next door and you could hear their music late at night but we thought that was more of a positive.
We were on the first floor at the front and away from the lift as someone else says to do this is their reviews.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear sheena10,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
Our staff will be delighted to hear your compliments, they really pride themselves on their friendliness and helpfulness.
We are constantly updating and upgrading our hotel and we will shortly be redoing both our bar and our reception area.

We hope that you will keep us in mind should you return to Dublin.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

All this place is, is a very expensive B&B, somewhere just to put your head down for the night and I wish I’d saved myself a lot of money and went elsewhere. Yes, it’s in a great location, is nicely decorated and very clean, the reception staff were competent but that’s all it’s got going for it, we were expecting more for our €689.40s for a 4 night stay at this supposedly 4 star hotel. Several things were disappointing with this place, the first is that it’s very small, one could even say pokey, this included the reception area, the lounge area and our room. My wife was very frustrated having to shift herself whenever I needed to pass when she was using the mirror; I finished up crawling over the bed. Plus there was no bar in the hotel, which in my opinion is a ‘must have’ for any establishment that calls itself a hotel. At the end of a exhausting day traipsing around Dublin or taking a tour, one of our favorite pastimes is occasionally to sit in the hotel bar and reflect on our day or plan the next knowing that our room is only a few steps away when tiredness strikes. We like to enjoy the quiet and sometimes homely facilities that the hotel bar can provide, anyone who has been to Dublin will know how hectic the pub scene can be; this facility wasn’t there for us. Another fault with the hotel was that when I complained to reception about there being no bar there was an apology but was greeted with a look of bemusement as if I didn’t have a valid point and when I asked for the manager I was told that he was on holiday and that there was no-one to take my complaint. I was informed that I could email the manager after our stay if I was unhappy with anything; it is crazy that a 4 star hotel has no-one to take responsibility for any mishaps that might arise. So I’ve had to email the manager regarding my dissatisfaction retrospectively and nearly three weeks later he hasn’t had the courtesy to respond. By the way, the reason for there being no bar was that they had no-one to manage it and that a new management team would take over next month; a serious bit of misadministration and no good to us. One other small detail, our room was above the outside smoking area of another establishment so in the evening we were entertained by the commotion from the revellers and in the morning woken by the clatter of beer barrels. This is hard to get away from in Dublin and we’re used to it but one of the selling points of the George Frederic Handel Hotel is that it’s in a quiet area, so a bit of misrepresentation there. Other faults; wifi seldom worked, ceiling fan only worked when main light was on and two giant air con units were bolted outside on either side of our window emitting a terrible whine. Go elsewhere, spend less and get more.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul M
Dear Paul M,

Thank you for leaving this review.

I am very disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your stay, as the comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our top priority here at The George Frederic Handel.

We do have a bar available 24 hours for our residents, it is simply closed to the public while it is being renovated. Guests may still avail of drinks or a place to relax and our reception staff will be happy to provide you with anything you need.

With regards to leaving a complaint with ourt staff ; both members of staff that you spoke to were in fact Duty Managers and did take a note of your complaint at the time that you left it. We always have a member of the management staff on duty.

I was away on holiday at the time but since my return I have attempted to contact you several times by phone. If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at alex@roomyield.com

The views and input of our guests is very important to us so I hope to hear from you soon.

Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I would really recommend a stay here. Location is great. we are staying on the 1st floor, lovely room, spacious bathroom, friendly staff. Reduced rate parking included.
We got a really good rate online, great value for money.

• Stayed August 2014
GFH-Manager, General Manager at Handels Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear saintstephen,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this response. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here so much. We are very fortunate with our location, and our staff pride themselves on their friendliness and helpfulness, so they will be delighted to hear your comments.

While we do have a very good discounted rate with a secure local car park, the fee is not included in the room rate.

We hope to see you again soon,