“Spot of luxury!”

Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Tipperary, Ireland
“Spot of luxury!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Absolutely brilliant hotel and ideally located on the outskirts of the city! Very nice, friendly & helpful staff! The rooms are very cozy and the beds are extremely comfortable! The only problem I had with the hotel was the €12 fee for overnight parking! The food is fantastic, I recommend anything on the menu! :D

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding the staff and food, it's always so nice to hear comments like this. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in January 2014 with friends we had 3 rooms all of which were nice and spacious, very clean, breakfast €13.00 for full with a good variety and choice, food in the restaurant was good quality reasonably priced. Reception could be more informative. On check in regarding. Services available ( breakfast, dinner) maybe.because we were room only the did not feel the need to inform us. Car parking is €12.00 per 24 hours for hotel guests, bus 4 and 7 easily got directly from outside hotel to city centre and cost €2.35 (small tip have exact change) over all a great stay, good food and spotlessly Clean. Would definitely return to thus hotel again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GTCHG
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you found the food of good quality and selection. We hope to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.

Roscommon
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed in Bewleys, Ballsbridge, for two nights with my wife while on business in Dublin recently.
The experience overall was good, but there are also a few cribs. Firstly there is a car parking charge of twelve euro per day which is an unwelcome extra cost. The bedroom we were staying in was on the small side as was the shower cubicle. Drink prices in the bar were also on the high side, even by Dublin standards, which I find outrageous anyway.
On the positive side, all the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The atmosphere was pleasant and relaxing. The bedroom was quiet, warm and clean as was the rest of the hotel which we saw. The food was good and reasonably priced. Breakfast, despite being totally self-service, was very good.
I would certainly go back if I didn't have the car. I also think the hotel's four star rating is one star too generous.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank william l
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. It seems you had mixed feelings about your stay with us, but I do hope the positives outweigh any negatives. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Was very impressed upon arrival at hotel. Building is really pretty and historic looking. Receptionist was very friendly and had us checked in in no time. Our room was on second floor. We went via the lift. Corridors were nice and airy and bright looking. When we opened door to our room there was a smell of stale cigarette smoke. The window was open so I suppose the staff had tried to get rid of the smell. We were only staying 1 night so didn't make a fuss about it. The room was spacious and bed very comfortable. I found the room terribly cold and didnt realise I could turn on the radiator until the following morning. There was no toiletries in the bathroom which I have never came across before and found a bit annoying. There was a dispenser unit attached to the wall marked "shampoo" so we used this to wash hands. Overall it is a nice hotel but I would not go back again. I would try somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lucyyeah
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found the staff friendly during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were allocated a smoking room, however, we are in the final phase of a refurbishment which involves removal of all smoking rooms, all well as updating furnishings, fittings and bathrooms, so I do hope you will return to us to see the transformation.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

First the positives. Great location especially if visiting the RDS or attending a game at the Aviva stadium. The hotel is just a few minutes drive from Grafton street and easy to find. It has an underground car park which is good but there is a charge and I noticed some folk found the spiral ramp difficult to navigate. Wifi is free and worked well. I found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful which is always a plus. Pleasant area to take a stoll and several bars and restaurants are within a short walk from the hotel.

Now why a disappointment? First off I generally stay at Bewleys Newlands Cross and find it very good for the price they charge. Parking is free, good restaurant and bar and easy access to M50 and the city. In comparision Ballsbridge is dearer but offers nothing extra except the location. Adding parking on top just emphasises the price difference. While I appreciate that the building was a former school it does mean that the layout is quite unusual and you end up doing a lot of walking up and down stairs as both bar and restaurant are in the basement. Lifts are available but there were a lot of guests so it was quicker just to use the stairs. My main issue was that I specified a non-smoking room and didn't get one. This has never happened at the other hotel and was really annoying. As it didn't bother my wife or son I let it go but really not good enough. Restaurant is okay but nothing special. The alternative menu at the bar was useful as it offered more family friendly items such as pizza, burgers and the like.

Overall consensus from the family is that we would stick with Newlands Cross in future.

Room Tip: Check that they are actually giving you a non-smoking room if you have requested one.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you found our location suited to your needs and that staff were friendly and helpful throughout your stay. However, I was disappointed to read your negative comments. Taking your biggest disappointment to be being given a smoking room, when you had requested a non smoking room - I am delighted to let you know that we have just finished a major refurbishment on all bedrooms in the hotel, and no longer have any smoking rooms in the hotel. I do hope that this will encourage you to return to us in the near future for a much more comfortable stay.

Xghajra, Malta
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Beautiful antique building. Very clean rooms and friendly staff. Filling breakfast with lots to choose from. Hotel restaurant serves a variety of dishes at a reasonable price. Hotel also offers parking facilities which makes life very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul1084
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it seems you really enjoyed your time with us and also the history of the hotel as a Masonic School. We would be delighted to offer you more information on this subject during your next stay.

Xanthi
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed there for three nights on a business trip. My room was clean and spacious, bathroom too. however it was quite cool, I believe the temperature was around 20c at most. Breakfast had variety but it was a bit disorganized regarding the placement of food. In the morning there was queuing at the lifts.

Room Tip: even numbered rooms look at at the interior of the hotel complex whereas odd numbered rooms look at...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I was delighted to read that the room was suited to your needs. The temperature of the radiators can be controlled in each room should you stay with us again, which I do hope will be in the near future.