“Great for families”

Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge
Ranked #65 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we had some urgent business to attend to in Dublin. We have four children and one family room fit everyone comfortably. We got the room with the bunk beds (these were double bed bunk beds), so our two middle children slept on the bottom bunk and were very comfortable. We did order a cot for our youngest and it was not in the room when we got there, however they had the cot down within 10 minutes of phoning reception. The room was very basic, however it had everything we needed. We were told that there was a fridge at reception as they did not supply the rooms with one. We needed to keep our baby's milk in the fridge. We did get this hotel at a very good price for all 6 of us. However, parking is not free! The downside to this hotel were the pillows - they were extremely high and extremely hard, I had to use one of the cushions as a pillow. The children's pillows were fine. If I were to stay there again, I'd definitely ask for change in pillows.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BarbaraDunne, Operations Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel suitable for your family stay in Dublin as we do pride ourselves in being a family friendly hotel. We run a Childrens Club in The Brasserie Restaurant every Sunday, where children dine free and our kept entertained by our face painter and balloon modeller. I hope you will return again soon and perhaps experience the Childrens Club.

Barbara

Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here a few weeks ago and were generally not very impressed with the hotel. The staff on reception were all very unfriendly. Definitely not what you would expect in an Irish hotel!! The room (a family room) was not great. The bathroom was nice but the room itself was on the 1st floor and was very dark and not so nice.
The only really positive aspect of the hotel is the restaurant. The staff were all extremely nice. The food was amazing and no request was too great. For me, this would be the only reason to stay here again.
However on a whole I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BarbaraDunne, Operations Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you found some of the team to be unfriendly. We normally receive such positive comments regarding our staff. But I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience in The Brasserie Restaurant. I hope you will return again in the enar future for a more positive experience.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the world flower show at the RDS as it was so close. The hotel is a lovely historic building from the outside - inside is more modern. The reception staff are very efficient, the rooms spacious and comfortable, but lacking in some things you may expect of a hotel charging these type of prices such no soap, sewing kit, shower cap, hotel brochure, clock, tissues, air con. That said, the beds are comfortable. On the downside there is a terrible noise in the morning when all the early risers leave as all the doors bang when they close and this rattles through the whole hotel, nearly shaking you from your bed. Breakfast is good, with a nice selection to suit all tastes. Dinner is OK, service is good and I can heartily recommend the Afternoon Tea.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your stay with us durig the World Flower Show. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here recently to join a birthday party elsewhere. Price was expensive (€200 per night per room) but availability in Dublin was limited at the time. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable and definitely the highlight. We had some room service - a delicious bowl of soup served instantly by obliging staff - but the breakfast was really quite average for the price. Not sure I would return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review. I am sorry that you found the rate to be high, please do keep an eye on our website as we often have special offers available here.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I liked the architecture, and the décor of all the public areas of the hotels including its restaurants. I also liked the location of the hotel. It has easy access to public transportation to Dublin Center and the coach bus to the airport stops right in front of the hotel. Taxi fares from the Dublin city center are also reasonable. However, I was not thrilled with the customer service, or my room. Those were below my expectations. My room was on the second floor and I think it needs to be refreshed but it was clean. My view was a brick wall and a public staircase at the back of the hotel. It is important that hotels show us realistic pictures of what we are paying for on-line. We may either pay for better rooms, or use another hotel if the rooms do not meet the standards we want while on vacation. The wifi was horrid for my iphone in the rooms so I had to stay in the lobby to get an average connection. You have to bring your own Irish compatible adaptors or you would have to buy since none will be provided here. Having stayed in many hotels around the world, I noticed that some European hotels do not provide as many supplies as their Asian counterparts do. For example, we were two ladies staying in this hotel room but we did not get two bottles of lotion, shampoo, etc. Neither did we get any shower caps. Breakfast was good and I had a lot of food to choose from. I do not believe I will stay in this hotel again if I have a choice. It was okay but I will try other hotels in Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Having decided earlier this evening to write a good review of this hotel after staying 3 nights here I am now feeling very tired and annoyed at 1.30am still being kept awake by very loud music from a function in the old chapel building in the grounds. What a shame as up to now I would have been praising their pleasant, helpful staff and the basically good, clean rooms, excellent breakfast etc. but I now feel unable to recommend the Bewley at Ballsbridge, Dublin.

Room Tip: First find if there are any functions planned during your stay. We are due to stay 2 more nights, b...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
BarbaraDunne, Operations Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were kept awake with music from the wedding, we would normally allocate non wedding guests to bedrooms on the other side of the hotel to ensure you are not disturbed. I will speak to the reception team to remind them of this and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The good - impressive building with some original masonic features preserved, very good room and bed.

The bad - iron did not work in room, and the phone only worked intermittently. Poorly located lifts. Check in was formal and money grabbing in nature and the car park charge an unnecessary dirty trick which puts you in a bad mood before you even get to your room. Breakfast was very poor given the price - badly laid tables, staff indifferent (apart from one smiley young asian chap), cooked food looked worn out and like something from a low grade hotel, coffee and tea self service poor to dangerous and the drinks poor quality, self service toast poor to dangerous.

Compared to the other 6 establishments we have stayed in across Ireland over the last 2 weeks this was by far the worst value for money - and we got the room at what Bewleys considers a low rate !

Room Tip: If you want value for money go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you found your room to be comfortable. I was however disapointed to read your other comments regarding breakfast and our staff as these would normally be 2 areas we would recieve great comments. I'm sorry if you feel the car parking charge was hidden, but we do state this at the time of booking, on our website and it is also displayed upon entry to the car park.