“Highly recommended”

Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge
Ranked #64 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Stayed at Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge as I was attending the wedding of a friend of mine getting married there. Never really thought of Bewleys as a wedding venue, wasn't even sure if they had a restaurant, so wasn't sure what to expect. Was very surprised and impressed! The wedding was fantastic. Function room was amazing, like an old church with many old features and beautifull chandeliers, and the meal was to die for. I was so impressed we ate in the hotel the next day before heading out to see Dublin. Their early bird menu was incredable value, well worth it, and and I would highly recommend the desserts. Aside from that the rooms were great value, staff friendly and I would highly recommend it. I will certainly stay there on my next trip to Dublin. Well done!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,447)

Reviewed 13 February 2009

Do not recommend this hotel as we stayed here for five days because we were exhibiting at the RDS. We were given a room on the ground floor for disabled people which was not suitable for us as we required a bath - no hot water. We were moved the second day to a room on the third floor, again no hot water for the full duration of our stay. Also, the television was not working and the lift broke down one day. We complained but got no response. We will never stay at this hotel again

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank YorkshireDisgruntled
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Myself and the better half stayed here in January as part of their €50 online room deal to celebrate the vegan-like collapse of the Dublin hotel industry.

Wasn't expecting 5 star stuff, and didn't get it. Room was quite good for the money paid, although I probably would've felt a tad aggrieved had I paid the regular €99 rate. Although being reasonably well-appointed, the rooms were a little outdated, but comfortable all in all.

My only big grievance was the downright rude front desk staff. We had the "pleasure" of being attended to by "Egle" upon check-in, whose whitewash-thin pleasantry was only surpassed by her lack of professionalism, manners. My own professionalism could be questioned for asking the "free upgrade" question, but myself and my girlfriend didn't need to hear her retort of: "I think you've gotten enough for free already" - in refrence to the (now industry-standard by the way Bewleys, welcome to recession) rate deal.

This was compounded by her quite rude ultimatum of "You don't have to park in the hotel carpark if you don't want to" - When I challenged the extra per-hour charges we were told to expect after 12pm the following day, despite paying for "24 hour parking" at 7pm check-in. This issue was resolved the next day by a more-professional font desk staff member.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Rooms are average, location is excellent, breakfast is onlt 10 euro if not included which is excellent, good breakie too, lots to young people on the lash, so a bit noisy, ecellent value for money mind you, professional staff. Ideal for an overnight, not really for longer stays, the building itself is very nice. it's a 3 start IMHO. Ideal for budgeteers

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Stayed at Bewley's Ballsbridge for 3 nights. Rooms were bright, clean and spacious. Arrived early in the morning on flight from New York went to leave my luggage at hotel but was offered a room straight away which was great. Hotel is on the Air Coach shuttle from Airport route. While a bit out from City Center City Bus runs about every 5 minutes from outside and is one of the easiest ways to get around Dublin. About 10-15 minutes to O'Connell Street by Bus depending on time of day. Staff was friendly and helpful at all times. Nice Restaurant on the ground floor for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner also available.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed at this hotel when attending a concert at the RDS next door. Could not have been better located for this event and will definitely look it up again if I'm going to the RDS on another occasion. However, it is not centrally located to Dublin city so if you are looking for shopping and nightlife, this is not the area in which to stay. The hotel was of a great quality for the price - I booked it through Airmiles. Did not eat in the hotel, but the bar area is quite pleasant. Lobby and grounds impressive and staff good. Make sure you check your directions, though, if you are not familiar with Dublin.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I stayed here with a friend in the first weekend of January. The main aim of the trip was to visit the RDS. The hotel is a very grand looking building right next to the RDS which is why we chose it. It was also really convenient to have the Aircoach stop outside (it's the last stop on the Ballsbridge loop before it heads back to the airport, 8 euros for a single, takes about 40 minutes).

The room is very basic but clean and reminds me of a Holiday Inn Express. The bathroom had a fixed showerhead over the bath, and as a previous reviewer wrote, you need to bring your own toiletries as the only thing provided is a shower gel dispenser in the bath, and a soap dispenser in the sink (ours didn't dispense very well). I found the beds comfortable and the only thing that kept me awake was the distant sound from the clocktower which chimed on the hour and half hour, day and night (I think there may have been a quarter chime too...)

I asked for a room with good wireless reception. Although I had a full strength signal in my room on the third floor, there was actually no connectivity to the internet at all and it didn't work for the duration of my stay. The wireless worked fine however in the breakfast room.

We walked into town and that took about 35 minutes. It was a fairly pleasant walk along a busy main road. We also tried out the bus (well-served by buses except when we wanted one and you need exact change!) and we also got a taxi back from O'Connell Street in the centre for around 10 euros. There were a few nice places to eat and a Spa convenience store about 8-10 minutes' walk from the hotel towards town, and the hotel restaurant menu looked nice although we didn't eat there.

All in all a good stay and I would stay here again for a similar trip to the RDS.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends