“Pretty good”

Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Scotland
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The room was prety clean (very clean by Dublin, reasonably so by other standards) and spacious. The staff were very helpful and were able to provide all the information I needed regarding buses etc.

I didn't have breakfast, as this wasn't included in the price, instead heading into town to meet friends. However, I did note that there were a number of coffee shops within a minute or so of the hotel.

I had a few fairly minor quibbles with the hotel, but these were very minor. For example, the excellent hairdryer (much better than usual hotel standard) was secured through a drawer (to stop theft). However, this meant that the flex was effectively shortened. I was able to use only when sitting on the floor - not ideal.

There seemed to be a bit of an issue with water pressure on the first night of my stay. I suspect that the hotel was fairly full that night, so suspect that this may have been the reason, as the issue was resolved the following night (without me mentioning it)

I was surprised that there was no minibar in the room and there didn't seem to be an ice machine available to guests.

I had a quick bite to eat, on the day of my arrival. I had soup and a sandwich. The soup was very tasty, but the sandwich was made of cold, cheapest possible, white bread - not great. The menu wasn't great, wouldn't bother eating here again, as there are much better choices nearby.

As seems to be pretty standard, my double bed was two single beds pushed together. I was staying alone, so not an issue, but not ideal for a romantic break.

The hotel is within walking distance from the city centre, but only if you've got sensible shoes! Otherwise, there is a very good bus service. Bus fare, at time of writing, is €1.90. Note that buses accept coins only (and do not give change, but do give credit notes, though I believe the process of reclaiming money is a bit of a hassle).

I would certainly stay in the hotel again, especially if I was able to get as good a deal! Obviously, my comments take into account the bargain price I paid (£54 per night). Perhaps my minor quibbles would have been a bigger deal, if I had paid more.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kat537

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
Houston
Reviewed 7 August 2012

A little out of the way , about a 20 minute walk into main Dublin.
Bus access right outside the hotel.

Wireless Internet was very fast.

Room was clean and comfortable

Staff was helpful.
I would stay again for business in that area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kmjr2000
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Beautiful large rooms and huge bathroom in this stylish hotel. A little way out of the centre but a pleasant walk along the Georgian terraces. Staff really friendly and helpful would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pat C
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed here four nights at the beginning of our vacation and one night at the end. It couldn’t be more convenient to the stops made by the airport bus, was within walking distance of downtown (maybe 20 minutes) and only feet from the city bus stop if public transportation is your pleasure. The staff was helpful and friendly, though the staff really consisted of the person manning the front desk at any given time. There was no bell staff. That means you’ll be carrying your luggage up about eight steps from the parking lot to the lobby and several more sets up from the lobby to the extremely, and relatively slow, small passenger elevator (tight fit for two people and two suitcases). Except for checking in and out, we found it easier to use the stairs. There is a restaurant/bar on the property that serves an adequate breakfast, though the menu is not extensive. Breakfast was the only meal we ate there.

Our first room was 400 and it faced the street. While there are two large windows in the room, and one in the bath, street noise was never a problem. The bedroom was relatively large. It didn’t have a minibar or fridge. I don’t recommend this hotel for a stay on business unless you need to be in this part of town since the desk was fairly small and the desk chair not that comfortable. Also, clothes storage is an issue.

There is a small closet (about 18” wide) for hanging clothes but part of that is taken up by an ironing board and iron. There were six wooden hangers. The other side of the closet has two shelves for clothes, on shelf for the electric kettle and coffee and tea service (we moved this to the table in the corner of the room), a shelf for the DVD player and a shelf for the safe. In our first room the safe was on the top shelf and over 6’ off the floor so my wife could only reach the key pad with difficulty. Even at 6’ tall I couldn’t see the bottom of the safe or the back. Interestingly, on our second stay, the safe was on the bottom shelf which was essentially on the floor. There was free wifi.

The bed is king size in width but since it is two singles pushed together it felt a little shorter than a true king. There are night stands on each side with lamps and reading lights. The TV is about a 50” plasma (the biggest I’ve ever seen in a hotel room) and mounted on the wall at the end of the bed. Below the TV is an electric fireplace (very authentic looking fire) that didn’t put out any heat but was a wonderful nightlight. In addition to the desk chair there was one upholstered chair. Due to the lack of clothes storage I stacked up my clothes on the small table in the corner. There was also a floor lamp and a lamp on the desk. There were two outlets in the wall above the desk that proved handy for my wife’s hair appliances.

The bathroom was very roomy. It was as long as the bedroom was wide. It had a very long vanity with two sinks, so there was plenty of room for toiletries (always an important point for me). A portion of the mirror over the vanity was heated. There was a towel warmer, a lighted makeup mirror, hair dryer on the wall (also one in the desk drawer), long tub with shower and full length mirror on the bedroom side of the bathroom door. The sides of the tub were very high. The amenities consisted of a shower cap, shampoo, body lotion, bath and shower gel and three extremely small bars of soap. The bathroom fixtures were upscale which made the very thin towels somewhat of a puzzle. Everything appeared clean and relatively new.

Except for the location of the safe, the second room was pretty much identical to the first.

If you’ve found this review useful, I will greatly appreciate a “yes” vote below.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dskid
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is a great hotel with good connections to the city center BUT if you stay over the weekend, the dance club is extremely LOUD. We stayed 3 nights, 2 of which were the weekend nights. The music can heard all night. We complained to the staff (very nice staff) and we were compensated a night. But if you want to sleep you may want to stay elsewhere on Fri and Sat evenings.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This hotel is clean, bright and modern. The facilities are superb. Although it is a little way out from the city centre, the buses run very frequently from outside the hotel straight into the city centre or the airport. The fact that it is outside of the town makes it a quieter less frantic place to relax. If we come back to Dublin we will most certainly book this hotel again. A lot of the other reviews mention noise from the nightclub on a Friday and Saturday night. We stayed on a Sunday and Monday night and so didn't experience this. Also our room was on the fourth floor to the side of the hotel which is quieter anyway. The only slight disappointment was the lack of water pressure in the shower.

Room Tip: Room 411 is to the side of the hotel on the top floor and is quieter than the rooms to the front.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank masonfamily99
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We managed to get a great one night rate online for the hotel, priced alot cheaper than some other hotels within the city centre. I emailed the hotel prior to arrival and they responded prompt and with all the information we needed.

We took the Aircoach to and from the Hotel that dropped off and picked up right outside which was very convenient. Dropped our bags off at reception when arriving at 10am due to an early flight and checked in around 6pm before heading back out. No problems at all!
The reception gave us a map and advised of the bus to get, the 145 or 46A took us to the centre in about 6-7 minutes, and was around 2 euros each.

The room was amazing. One of the biggest flat screens we had seen in a hotel room (could have more clear and variety of channels -only negative), masses of space and the bathroom was fantastic! We were able to put a CD on through the surround system and having it playing inside the bathroom when getting ready. It's the little things that impressed us.

Arriving back on the Saturday night around 1am, the Night Club was open but seemed quiet and did not affect us in any way. We had drinks in the bar for a bit and headed to bed.
Didn't hear any music on the 2nd floor at all and had a great nights sleep.

On the Sunday our flight was not until 8pm so we checked out early and left bags at reception again to collect in the evening.

Overall, very enjoyable stay and will be back at some point in the future!
Johnny/Hannah