“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Stotfold, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We stayed at the Hamptons last weekend in Dublins as we were there to attend our nephews christening (Friday and Saturday). In the beginning, we were impressed with the room, however the below happened:

1.The room was very very warm, even with the air con turned to the minimum temperature. There were windows in the room..but they didn't open!!
When we enquired at the desk, they said it was a listed building, so they couldn't make any alterations. I am very surprised that even a listed building would have its windows sealed closed..surely this is a health and safety/fire hazzard??
As a result it was very uncomfortable the first night

But the second night..was MUCH worse..we had no sleep until after 3am in the morning. There is a club associated with the hotel (The owners own BOTH the hotel and club). We were kept up with screeching, drunken shouts etc until 3.30 am, also the smoking hut is outside..

I am no part pooper, and I understand people want to party on a Saturday night. But to have a club right outside your window, and considering it is part of the hotel, I was disgusted and very disappointed with the noise and the response from reception. There was minimal sound proofing, and we heard everything..

We made a complaint at 3am in the morning, and I followed up the next day when checking out. The receptionist apologised for both the windows and the club noise, however there was no indication that this was recorded in the complaints book. SHe didn't offer any concession on the price of the room, and no real consolation in the fact we were very disappointed and that we had no sleep, and paid for that through the nose.

My advice to her was to invest in some better sound proofing and windows that could open. I have a feeling that my complaint was not noted as no money was taken off the final bill, despite us having no sleep in a 4 star hotel.
I have never written a review before, however I was so dstressed, that I created an account here and have given my feedback.

I do not know why this hotel has a 4* rating. If you want to party all night, and suffocate in your room as the windows don't open.. Go here...
Also, maybe they should train their staff so they are better able to deal with complaints, and escalate to the manager when needed.

If the hotel does read this..please note, I complained twice..I have written this feedback as on reflection feel you did not really listen to me. I have give you two out of five, as the room was lovely, and the meal we had on the Friday night in your restaurant was nice, and I want to recognise that.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sharmila K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just about to leave so decided to review. Pros - comfortable beds, and very nice en-suite with lots of shampoos, gels lotion etc, modern showers. Very early check in allowed our jet lagged bodies to recover. Staff was friendly with advice handed out cheerfully.. Cons: fire alarm at 11 pm, fuzzy tv, smallest elevator I have ever been in (but it worked for our bags and we took the stairs otherwise), bath tub very tall and difficult for any one with any disability to get in and out, decor in room OK, but hallways were odd and very dark. I do not recommend for anyone who can not handle stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from bar as possible. We had folk singers with quiet soothing music and...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nncykr
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice now with my husband when visiting Dublin, once last spring and again this year. It is in the residential area of Donnybrook and can be found at 19-29 Morehampton Rd, Dublin.
I would describe it as a 'boutique hotel,' the rooms are spacious, almost suite-like, and it is clearly obvious that someone has taken a great deal of time to create a designer type feel with the interior. In our room(s) we have had a king-size bed, with flat-screen TV, settee at the end of the bed and a lovely large en-suite bathroom full of goodies which is great when travelling light.
The hotel can be reached direct from the airport via the Air coach which departs every 15 mins and takes just over 30 minutes, literally dropping us off directly opposite the hotel, this cost us 14 euros return. You can get to the city via bus, but we quite like walking off the big Irish Breakfast (extra 10 euros p/p), this takes us about 15/20 minutes. If we have been out in the city in the evening we have grabbed a taxi back (can't remember how much it was, but nothing ridiculous though).
I believe that the hotel has a night-club of its own too which is only open at the end of the week/weekend, we have not been there then so have avoided it. The staff are lovely and always obliging with directions/advice etc, the rooms clean and spacious, the breakfast superb and good value and the hotel quiet which is just what we like.

Hotel Phone Number:+353 1 668 0995

Room Tip: We have stayed here twice now and both rooms have been quiet. We chose the Hampton Preferred room...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie5691
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I booked three nights in this hotel with Expedia for a total price of Euro 296 (covering the nights of April 8, 9 and 10). The Expedia voucher described the room as a "Hampton Select". Subsequently, I booked another night with Easy to Book (April 11) for Euro 108 in total. Once again, the voucher described the room as a "Hampton Select". On arrival at the Hampton, I was allocated a large, comfortable room on the top floor of the hotel. For the fourth night of my stay, I was given a palatial room on the second floor with a bathroom fit for a king (including a rain-shower). Given that both booking vouchers referred to "Hampton Select" rooms, I'm now wondering why I did not benefit from the extra-special room from the outset. A mistake by the hotel? Or a mistake by Expedia? Or a mistake by me insofar as I did not have the Expedia documentation to hand when I checked into the hotel?

Despite the different rooms, however, I really enjoyed my stay in the Hampton. The American woman on the reception desk is both charming and friendly to guests. Although I did not experience the nightclub, I was still able to sleep in comfort on the Friday night despite the presence of boozers and out-of-doors smokers below my second floor window. The bed was just so comfortable, it would have taken Elephantine roars to wake me once I eventually hit the sack. If you are in Dublin to have some fun over the weekend, then this is definitely the hotel for you. If you're a bit obsessive about noise and sound, however, you should know better than to feel aggrieved by the noise generated in a hotel which openly advertises the presence of Vanilla nightclub.

The village of Donnybrook is a five minute stroll from the hotel. Worth a look if you want to try out the restaurants, purchase some food in Donnybrook Fair or imbibe a few pints in Kiely's (the spiritual home of Leinster Rugby). Although a taxi will take you into the city centre for a tenner, there's also a bus stop just outside the hotel (where, in these recessionary times, you can catch the 46a bus into town - at ten minute intervals - for a mere Euro 2.15.)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Insightful
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Great location, beautiful hotel with modern rooms-bed was super comfortable!! Breakfast was delicious-recommend the eggs benedict!!
Francesco on front desk was very friendly and helpful-look forward to returning again very soon!!

• Stayed February 2013
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Having stayed at the Hampton while visiting friends in Dublin, I would fully recommend it. The rooms were comfortable and beautifully decorated, bathrooms clean, luxurious and well-stocked, and facilities included a 50-inch wall-mounted TV, and a cosy faux fire. Staff were helpful and attentive throughout, without being intrusive. If you want boutique hotel luxury at an affordable price, this hotel is for you. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArtemisiaLondon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Fabulous hotel in nice part of Dublin. Modern decor, warm cozy rooms with excellent entertainment system (huge flat screen tv, dvd player and radio speakers in bathroom). Full range of toiletries, underfloor heating in the stylish bathroom. Complimentary newspapers and free wifi. Staff are second to none! Delicatessen and coffee shops 1 minute away. Bus stop right outside, 5min drive to town or brisk 20min walk. Would recommend this hotel if you like style, quiet nights but not far from the action.

• Stayed February 2013