“Very Impressive!”
Review of Hampton Hotel

Hampton Hotel
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Fantastic gem of a hotel. Quirky, stylish and contemporary. Rooms are huge with massive tvs and fire places. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Excellent location for a base to explore Dublin, not quite right in the centre but in stylish Donybrook. Easy walk or bus ride into town.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Chrisstore
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Chrisstore,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We really appreciate it and we are delighted that you had such a great stay.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I live very close to this hotel & have brought my family there several times since the relaunch for meals. We had congratulated the staff and left numerous handsome tips for the quality and service. However, today I brought my son for a brunch that simply was not fit for my dog. When I inquired from the waitress if the food had been prepared yesterday, she simply smiled. When I said, you can "understand why I won't be tipping", the smile disappeared.
When I asked at the front desk to see the Duty Manager, they smiled and said this was not possible. I am not sure if either of them spoke English, but it made the matter much more frustrating that they charged me for dried up, inedible food.
I will never return there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If they don't look after locals; what chance do you think visitors have.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank EmmetsEpitaph
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear EmmetsEpitaph,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit for brunch. I was shocked to read your review as I have not had a single other negative comment from any customer in my two months at hampton hotel.

Regrettably, our breakfast/lunch chef collapsed recently with a brain tumour and we had to get a few casual chefs in on trial to ensure that they were able to cook to the same high standard. Although we are confident that we have the right person now, there should have been no drop in standards during this process. If you feel there was a drop in the usual standard, I sincerely apologise. I can appreciate how one poor experience can wipe a previously unsullied history.

Our head chef was in the kitchen when your plates came back. Although he wasn't able to gauge anything from what was returned, he wanted me to assure you that all the breakfast ingredients are of the highest quality. Our butcher has his own farm and makes the sausages with a very high meat content - the low fat content may make them seem dry but the quality of the meat should stand out. We also prepare our food to order - there is nothing at all sitting in a bain marie. There is no excuse for serving a poor breakfast, and by cooking it to order, we thought we were eliminating this possibility. If you had a bad experience, we need to address it in the kitchen.

You were correct - the waitress who served you did not understand your meaning when you asked if the food was prepared the previous day. On realising that you were unhappy, she went to the supervisor, who was taking an order from a christening party at the time. As soon as he had finished taking the order a few moments later, he came to speak to you - but you had already left. The other staff member had thought you were asking for me - I was not on duty at the time - but we did have a bar supervisor on duty.

If you were unhappy with your food, we should have offered you an alternative the moment you brought it to our attention - and you should not have been charged for a dish you were unhappy with.

Our local business is very important to us, and we pride ourselves on having regulars who come in to us every day. Dissatisfaction with a meal is, genuinely, a very rare occurrence. I would really appreciate if you could contact me at john.clarke@hamptonhotel.ie and pass on the details of your meal experience. I would sincerely welcome the opportunity to make amends.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was our third stay at the Hampton, and once again it did not disappoint! We first stayed here in 2011, and have returned each year since for our annual trip to the Emerald Isle. Each time we have visited we have been greeted by friendly helpful staff and been able to check in immediately, despite the early flight arrival time, which really is a massive bonus when you have been awake since the early hours.

Our room was once again spotless, and in fantastic condition with a large bathroom cleaned to excellent standards, and a huge plasma TV to sit back and relax with whilst lazing on our super king size bed. Its about a 20 minute walk to Grafton Street but the walk takes you through the stunning Stephens Green park so if you don't mind a stroll then this hotel really does tick every box (there is also a bus stop 2 minutes from the door that runs every 10 minutes).

We stay in many hotels throughout Europe and it is very rare to find one that consistently lives up to expectations time and time again in the way the Hampton has for us. So great to see a locally run independent hotel doing it right every time!

We are already looking forward to returning again in 2014!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank G00dy12

Dear GOOdy12,

I'm so grateful that you took time out of your day to post such a kind review of your recent stay. It means so much to us to get any feedback, and it is particularly encouraging when that feedback is good.

Your repeat business is also greatly appreciated - small businesses truly rely on customers coming back, and I'm delighted to hear that you intend returning to us again next year. I hope to be here to welcome you back!

Thank you again for such a great review.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here twice (three nights at start of trip and two at the end) during our honeymoon and had a great experience both times. Hotel is very stylish and clean. The whole place has a very unique look. The staff at the front desk were great and very eager to help in any way they can. The bar / restaurant had very good food and it was very relaxing to sit out on the patio. The hotel has a great location in a relatively quite area that is a quick (20-30 min) walk to St. Stephen's Green / Trinity College area. The parking is very convenient and we never had any difficulty finding a spot. My only qualm was that in both of our rooms soon after arriving a fuse blew and had to be replaced and we had no light until then, but staff was very quick to rectify the problem once alerted to it. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeremy l

Dear jeremy l,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I'm so happy to hear all the positives from your stay. I'll be sure to pass them on to the team.

I apologise for the electrical glitch at the very start of your stay. I'll put it down to gremlins at play! I'm glad it didn't inconvenience you for too long. Despite our very modern look, we pride in our building's Georgian origins, but the lack of electricity was not meant to be an homage to our past. Although it does give me ideas...

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the hotel and your time in Ireland. We all appreciate your custom and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Was quite surprised when I went into my room. Last time at this hotel(4yrs). It looked tired and was quite bare, as in spartan. The rooms are now very big with clean king beds, table, desk and huge tv with many English channels. What a difference. The bathroom is very Art Deco black and white checkered tiles large tub shower. Also outside heated area has been extended. Nice

Room Tip: Road view rooms, road a bit noisy. Starts up at 5 am.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Michelle M,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to do so.

The hotel went through a massive refurbishment program a few years ago and it is now, as you saw, an entirely different property to what it was. We were lucky enough to win a Travelers Choice Award for trendiest hotel in Ireland since the relaunch. Quite the transformation.

I'm delighted that you stayed during the recent heatwave. Everything seems that much sunnier when the weather is good! I hope the same weather was waiting for you in Canada when you got home.

Thank you very much again for the review and for staying with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We selected the Hampton Hotel while we were in Dublin due to the excellent reviews it had received on TripAdvisor. It certainly lived up to those reviews!

The hotel ideally located, far enough away from the downtown that you get some peace and quiet but within a 20 minute walk to St. Stephen's Green, 30 minutes to Temple Bar etc. Ideal for people not interested in trying to navigate the busy Dublin streets.

We checked in with ease, got upgraded to the stunning room 300, and had a thoroughly enjoyable 4 night stay. Thank you to all the staff for your charm, hospitality and advice.
A wonderful conclusion to a great honeymoon!

Room Tip: There is a nightclub in the lower (basement) floor that fires up on the weekend, but we didn't h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EliRid

Dear EliRid,

I'm so grateful, both for your choosing to spend a part of your honeymoon with us, and for taking the time to write such a kind review.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and that it was a good base for your trip to Dublin. We have the best of both worlds here. A nice, foliage-rich neighbourhood, but only 20min walk from the city centre. July had some great weather - I hope you enjoyed the same glorious sunshine in Scotland.

Thank you again for your great review.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

we enjoyed lovely bathrooms and service during our 3 night stay. We stayed during the week so noise wasn't a problem. We heard a weekend stay can be noisy with the attached club. Enjoyed the location which was in a charming section and easily accessible to city center.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, they will do everything to accommodate you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple