“Very Nice Except on a Friday Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hampton Hotel

Hampton Hotel
Ranked #23 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Very Nice Except on a Friday Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

The service was good and friendly. I suggest you verify your bill if eating in the restaurant. We were double charged for an item included in the meal as a separate item. The room was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. My biggest complaint was that on the Friday night, after a tiring day of walking, we returned to a "huge" party in the front of the hotel... guess where our room was facing ... the front of the hotel. There is a disco downstairs, the weather was unusually warm while we were in Ireland. The partiers stayed outside until 3:30 a.m. I barely slept. I had called at 11:00 p.m. and they told me that the customers would be going inside the disco...they did not. The next day of sightseeing was a bit rough on not enough sleep. That is my only complaint. It was otherwise, a beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: If you go on a Friday, ask for a room facing the BACK of the hotel so that you can be sure to have a...
1 Thank mpsONEILL
hamptonhotel, Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear mpsONeill,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your trip to Ireland.

My sincerest apologies for the noise on Friday night. Normally, our club would only be open on Saturday night but the club was booked for a corporate event. They would usually be inside but you're right, the unusually warm weather meant that many of them stayed outside on the Terrace. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on the perspective, this would be a rare enough occurrence (both the Friday party and the heatwave) - our rooms in the back are well isolated from any street noise - they must not have been available when you checked in with us. It can be a fine line for city hotels - having a great atmosphere on the one hand - and providing a quiet stay on the other. It is a balance that we will strive to improve upon.

Thank you again for your review.

John Clarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Loved this hotel. The location is convenient to the city without being in the city centre. In fair weather you can walk, probably took us 20 mins getting in to st Stephens green gardens. There was parking at the hotel.
We arrived at this hotel for one night after two sleepless nights in a noisey hotel in bray. We checked in with polite staff and ordered lunch which was very nice. The bar area was very quirky and stylish.
Our room while down a v dark hallway proved to also be quirky and stylish with a very cool remote control fire place. This room was just what the doctor ordered after two sleepless nights.
We stayed here to attend a concert in iveagh gardens and we walked to the venue as it was a very sunny day.
A very nice one night stay.

1 Thank Shiv012
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Shiv012,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Fantastic gem of a hotel. Quirky, stylish and contemporary. Rooms are huge with massive tvs and fire places. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Excellent location for a base to explore Dublin, not quite right in the centre but in stylish Donybrook. Easy walk or bus ride into town.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Chrisstore
Dear Chrisstore,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We really appreciate it and we are delighted that you had such a great stay.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I live very close to this hotel & have brought my family there several times since the relaunch for meals. We had congratulated the staff and left numerous handsome tips for the quality and service. However, today I brought my son for a brunch that simply was not fit for my dog. When I inquired from the waitress if the food had been prepared yesterday, she simply smiled. When I said, you can "understand why I won't be tipping", the smile disappeared.
When I asked at the front desk to see the Duty Manager, they smiled and said this was not possible. I am not sure if either of them spoke English, but it made the matter much more frustrating that they charged me for dried up, inedible food.
I will never return there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If they don't look after locals; what chance do you think visitors have.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank EmmetsEpitaph
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear EmmetsEpitaph,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit for brunch. I was shocked to read your review as I have not had a single other negative comment from any customer in my two months at hampton hotel.

Regrettably, our breakfast/lunch chef collapsed recently with a brain tumour and we had to get a few casual chefs in on trial to ensure that they were able to cook to the same high standard. Although we are confident that we have the right person now, there should have been no drop in standards during this process. If you feel there was a drop in the usual standard, I sincerely apologise. I can appreciate how one poor experience can wipe a previously unsullied history.

Our head chef was in the kitchen when your plates came back. Although he wasn't able to gauge anything from what was returned, he wanted me to assure you that all the breakfast ingredients are of the highest quality. Our butcher has his own farm and makes the sausages with a very high meat content - the low fat content may make them seem dry but the quality of the meat should stand out. We also prepare our food to order - there is nothing at all sitting in a bain marie. There is no excuse for serving a poor breakfast, and by cooking it to order, we thought we were eliminating this possibility. If you had a bad experience, we need to address it in the kitchen.

You were correct - the waitress who served you did not understand your meaning when you asked if the food was prepared the previous day. On realising that you were unhappy, she went to the supervisor, who was taking an order from a christening party at the time. As soon as he had finished taking the order a few moments later, he came to speak to you - but you had already left. The other staff member had thought you were asking for me - I was not on duty at the time - but we did have a bar supervisor on duty.

If you were unhappy with your food, we should have offered you an alternative the moment you brought it to our attention - and you should not have been charged for a dish you were unhappy with.

Our local business is very important to us, and we pride ourselves on having regulars who come in to us every day. Dissatisfaction with a meal is, genuinely, a very rare occurrence. I would really appreciate if you could contact me at john.clarke@hamptonhotel.ie and pass on the details of your meal experience. I would sincerely welcome the opportunity to make amends.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was our third stay at the Hampton, and once again it did not disappoint! We first stayed here in 2011, and have returned each year since for our annual trip to the Emerald Isle. Each time we have visited we have been greeted by friendly helpful staff and been able to check in immediately, despite the early flight arrival time, which really is a massive bonus when you have been awake since the early hours.

Our room was once again spotless, and in fantastic condition with a large bathroom cleaned to excellent standards, and a huge plasma TV to sit back and relax with whilst lazing on our super king size bed. Its about a 20 minute walk to Grafton Street but the walk takes you through the stunning Stephens Green park so if you don't mind a stroll then this hotel really does tick every box (there is also a bus stop 2 minutes from the door that runs every 10 minutes).

We stay in many hotels throughout Europe and it is very rare to find one that consistently lives up to expectations time and time again in the way the Hampton has for us. So great to see a locally run independent hotel doing it right every time!

We are already looking forward to returning again in 2014!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank G00dy12
Dear GOOdy12,

I'm so grateful that you took time out of your day to post such a kind review of your recent stay. It means so much to us to get any feedback, and it is particularly encouraging when that feedback is good.

Your repeat business is also greatly appreciated - small businesses truly rely on customers coming back, and I'm delighted to hear that you intend returning to us again next year. I hope to be here to welcome you back!

Thank you again for such a great review.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here twice (three nights at start of trip and two at the end) during our honeymoon and had a great experience both times. Hotel is very stylish and clean. The whole place has a very unique look. The staff at the front desk were great and very eager to help in any way they can. The bar / restaurant had very good food and it was very relaxing to sit out on the patio. The hotel has a great location in a relatively quite area that is a quick (20-30 min) walk to St. Stephen's Green / Trinity College area. The parking is very convenient and we never had any difficulty finding a spot. My only qualm was that in both of our rooms soon after arriving a fuse blew and had to be replaced and we had no light until then, but staff was very quick to rectify the problem once alerted to it. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again and would highly recommend it.

1 Thank jeremy l
Dear jeremy l,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I'm so happy to hear all the positives from your stay. I'll be sure to pass them on to the team.

I apologise for the electrical glitch at the very start of your stay. I'll put it down to gremlins at play! I'm glad it didn't inconvenience you for too long. Despite our very modern look, we pride in our building's Georgian origins, but the lack of electricity was not meant to be an homage to our past. Although it does give me ideas...

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the hotel and your time in Ireland. We all appreciate your custom and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Ireland.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Was quite surprised when I went into my room. Last time at this hotel(4yrs). It looked tired and was quite bare, as in spartan. The rooms are now very big with clean king beds, table, desk and huge tv with many English channels. What a difference. The bathroom is very Art Deco black and white checkered tiles large tub shower. Also outside heated area has been extended. Nice

Room Tip: Road view rooms, road a bit noisy. Starts up at 5 am.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to do so.

The hotel went through a massive refurbishment program a few years ago and it is now, as you saw, an entirely different property to what it was. We were lucky enough to win a Travelers Choice Award for trendiest hotel in Ireland since the relaunch. Quite the transformation.

I'm delighted that you stayed during the recent heatwave. Everything seems that much sunnier when the weather is good! I hope the same weather was waiting for you in Canada when you got home.

Thank you very much again for the review and for staying with us.