“Lovely Quiet hotel”

Ranked #25 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Galway Ireland
“Lovely Quiet hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here on a monday and tuesday night with my 14 yr old daughter. We really liked this hotel, especially the huge TV and we were able to watch dvds and listen to cds that we had bought on our shopping trip. This was invaluable when travelling with a teenager.

The room was a good size and the bathroom was huge with a nice big bath and great big towels.I wasn't a huge fan of the bed as it was a little hard but thats just personal taste.

Breakfast was nice and very well priced.

There was a delighted man at the reception who was just so friendly and helpful
The buses stop outside the hotel and seem to run nonstop. Just make sure that you have an endless supply of change for the buses as they dont give back change.

I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear busytime,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I'll be sure to pass them to our team.

We're lucky to have a new, completely refurbished building and all our rooms are to the same standard as yours. I'm sorry you found the bed a little hard. They are good for the back, but some people prefer the softer mattress. If anyone mentions this, we can place one or two duvets over the mattress itself and this creates a very soft cushioning effect, for those who prefer this.

I'm very grateful that you took the time to submit this review. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to Dublin.

John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Some poor reviews on here but not sure why. Our room was lovely (bar the view - just a car park), the food served at the restaurant was good value and very tasty and the city was just a 1 road, 20min walk away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Tim B,

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. I'm happy that we exceeded your expectations and that the hotel was a good base for you to explore the city. I see you made the best of your time in Dublin and saw many of our top attractions.

I hope you consider us again next time you visit Dublin.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The service was good and friendly. I suggest you verify your bill if eating in the restaurant. We were double charged for an item included in the meal as a separate item. The room was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. My biggest complaint was that on the Friday night, after a tiring day of walking, we returned to a "huge" party in the front of the hotel... guess where our room was facing ... the front of the hotel. There is a disco downstairs, the weather was unusually warm while we were in Ireland. The partiers stayed outside until 3:30 a.m. I barely slept. I had called at 11:00 p.m. and they told me that the customers would be going inside the disco...they did not. The next day of sightseeing was a bit rough on not enough sleep. That is my only complaint. It was otherwise, a beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: If you go on a Friday, ask for a room facing the BACK of the hotel so that you can be sure to have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mpsONEILL
hamptonhotel, Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear mpsONeill,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your trip to Ireland.

My sincerest apologies for the noise on Friday night. Normally, our club would only be open on Saturday night but the club was booked for a corporate event. They would usually be inside but you're right, the unusually warm weather meant that many of them stayed outside on the Terrace. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on the perspective, this would be a rare enough occurrence (both the Friday party and the heatwave) - our rooms in the back are well isolated from any street noise - they must not have been available when you checked in with us. It can be a fine line for city hotels - having a great atmosphere on the one hand - and providing a quiet stay on the other. It is a balance that we will strive to improve upon.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Loved this hotel. The location is convenient to the city without being in the city centre. In fair weather you can walk, probably took us 20 mins getting in to st Stephens green gardens. There was parking at the hotel.
We arrived at this hotel for one night after two sleepless nights in a noisey hotel in bray. We checked in with polite staff and ordered lunch which was very nice. The bar area was very quirky and stylish.
Our room while down a v dark hallway proved to also be quirky and stylish with a very cool remote control fire place. This room was just what the doctor ordered after two sleepless nights.
We stayed here to attend a concert in iveagh gardens and we walked to the venue as it was a very sunny day.
A very nice one night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shiv012
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Shiv012,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Fantastic gem of a hotel. Quirky, stylish and contemporary. Rooms are huge with massive tvs and fire places. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Excellent location for a base to explore Dublin, not quite right in the centre but in stylish Donybrook. Easy walk or bus ride into town.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Chrisstore
Dear Chrisstore,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We really appreciate it and we are delighted that you had such a great stay.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I live very close to this hotel & have brought my family there several times since the relaunch for meals. We had congratulated the staff and left numerous handsome tips for the quality and service. However, today I brought my son for a brunch that simply was not fit for my dog. When I inquired from the waitress if the food had been prepared yesterday, she simply smiled. When I said, you can "understand why I won't be tipping", the smile disappeared.
When I asked at the front desk to see the Duty Manager, they smiled and said this was not possible. I am not sure if either of them spoke English, but it made the matter much more frustrating that they charged me for dried up, inedible food.
I will never return there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If they don't look after locals; what chance do you think visitors have.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank EmmetsEpitaph
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear EmmetsEpitaph,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit for brunch. I was shocked to read your review as I have not had a single other negative comment from any customer in my two months at hampton hotel.

Regrettably, our breakfast/lunch chef collapsed recently with a brain tumour and we had to get a few casual chefs in on trial to ensure that they were able to cook to the same high standard. Although we are confident that we have the right person now, there should have been no drop in standards during this process. If you feel there was a drop in the usual standard, I sincerely apologise. I can appreciate how one poor experience can wipe a previously unsullied history.

Our head chef was in the kitchen when your plates came back. Although he wasn't able to gauge anything from what was returned, he wanted me to assure you that all the breakfast ingredients are of the highest quality. Our butcher has his own farm and makes the sausages with a very high meat content - the low fat content may make them seem dry but the quality of the meat should stand out. We also prepare our food to order - there is nothing at all sitting in a bain marie. There is no excuse for serving a poor breakfast, and by cooking it to order, we thought we were eliminating this possibility. If you had a bad experience, we need to address it in the kitchen.

You were correct - the waitress who served you did not understand your meaning when you asked if the food was prepared the previous day. On realising that you were unhappy, she went to the supervisor, who was taking an order from a christening party at the time. As soon as he had finished taking the order a few moments later, he came to speak to you - but you had already left. The other staff member had thought you were asking for me - I was not on duty at the time - but we did have a bar supervisor on duty.

If you were unhappy with your food, we should have offered you an alternative the moment you brought it to our attention - and you should not have been charged for a dish you were unhappy with.

Our local business is very important to us, and we pride ourselves on having regulars who come in to us every day. Dissatisfaction with a meal is, genuinely, a very rare occurrence. I would really appreciate if you could contact me at john.clarke@hamptonhotel.ie and pass on the details of your meal experience. I would sincerely welcome the opportunity to make amends.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was our third stay at the Hampton, and once again it did not disappoint! We first stayed here in 2011, and have returned each year since for our annual trip to the Emerald Isle. Each time we have visited we have been greeted by friendly helpful staff and been able to check in immediately, despite the early flight arrival time, which really is a massive bonus when you have been awake since the early hours.

Our room was once again spotless, and in fantastic condition with a large bathroom cleaned to excellent standards, and a huge plasma TV to sit back and relax with whilst lazing on our super king size bed. Its about a 20 minute walk to Grafton Street but the walk takes you through the stunning Stephens Green park so if you don't mind a stroll then this hotel really does tick every box (there is also a bus stop 2 minutes from the door that runs every 10 minutes).

We stay in many hotels throughout Europe and it is very rare to find one that consistently lives up to expectations time and time again in the way the Hampton has for us. So great to see a locally run independent hotel doing it right every time!

We are already looking forward to returning again in 2014!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank G00dy12
Dear GOOdy12,

I'm so grateful that you took time out of your day to post such a kind review of your recent stay. It means so much to us to get any feedback, and it is particularly encouraging when that feedback is good.

Your repeat business is also greatly appreciated - small businesses truly rely on customers coming back, and I'm delighted to hear that you intend returning to us again next year. I hope to be here to welcome you back!

Thank you again for such a great review.