“it's ok but not 4**** worth it”
Review of Hampton Hotel

Hampton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Berlin, Germany
“it's ok but not 4**** worth it”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed for our honeymoon 4 days in Hampton 4****Hotel.

The room was very nice, tidy and comfortable. The same for the spacious bathroom.

The good thing is that a lot of busses passing by at bust stop at hamption hotel. Even the Aircoach which is very handy to travel directly to the Airport.

The breakfast I can’t recommend. I tried earl grey tea and the tea water was taken straight away from the tab. You have to know that the water tastes quite chlorous. So I assumed they would have a kind of water filtering machine. At the end the tea wasnt tasting good with the chlor flavor. The irish breakfast that my husband had, wasn’t great at all: no crispy rashers, the sausage was fried in the same pan together with the mushrooms and baked beans. This doesnt deserve 4****. Only 3*** I tried Fruit scones but they weren’t ready baked. You still tasted the unbaked dough.

on Friday night and Saturday night is always the night club open. Unfortunately you hear the night club music until the 4th floor. You will need earplugs to take with you. we were quite unlucky because some guests played with the fog machine in the night club and at 2 am they caused fire alarm in the building.

On the question when the aircoach arrives we only got an answer every 20 min. I asked again if she would have noticed when approx. the last aircoach left. She replied with the same answer. She wasn’t even keen on helping us. A bit more service I had expected.

However as we didn’t like the food we went to eat in Dublin City which was very very very nice.
The location of the hotel is very charming + peaceful. You walk approx 25min into city center or by bus ca. 5min.

Ath the end we wont book this hotel again.
We had higher expectations on a 4****Hotel at least with the food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Ballsbridge1
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback to us. I'm very glad you liked our accommodation and the area.

I'm disappointed that your husband did not enjoy his breakfast though. I'm also disappointed that it wasn't mentioned during your stay, as we would have made every effort to remedy anything that you were dissatisfied with, instead of responding retrospectively.

With respect to bacon, we serve back bacon with our breakfast instead of the American-style streaky bacon. Like our sausages (that come straight from a farm), they have a higher meat content and thus better quality (and lower fat). It is traditionally not overcooked to 'crispy' in Ireland, as it really dries it out and you almost have to burn the bacon to get it to that level. Had you mentioned a preference though, we would have been able to cook it to order for you. You also mentioned a couple of things that I needed to correct, for the sake of accuracy.

You stated that the water for the tea comes straight from the tap. This is not true. The boiling water comes through a Marco Water Boiler with a filter. It is situated beside the breakfast service area. This filter is serviced frequently by outside contractors, and we have received no other feedback, either from customers or from the technician, that the water had a chlorine taste - I can't detect any myself either, but I will certainly ask the technician to check it again for us. We are partial to our tea in Ireland, and I would hate to think that there was any aspect that was spoiling someone's enjoyment of it.

You stated that the bacon, sausage, mushrooms, and beans were prepared in the same pan. This is not true. Not only would it be impractical, the moisture of the beans, and the moisture released by the mushrooms would make it impossible to fry the other items. They are all prepared separately - with the grill being a preferred option; again, a little healthier.

I looked into the fruit scones, and, admittedly, there was an issue with these. We have contacted the bakery that delivers them. It wasn't that they were not baked. They were cooked through. It was that they had a very high fruit content and when heated, moisture was released from the raisins and left the dough around them with a damp texture. We have asked the bakery to either send us scones with a lighter fruit content or we may move to plain scones only instead, eliminating the issue entirely. I am grateful that you brought it to our attention.

Regarding our Vanilla Nightclub, we do take care to inform people making a booking that we have a nightclub. It is a boutique club, but noise can still be a factor until 2-2.30am. I genuinely apologise that it impacted on your sleep. A lot of our guests avail of the complimentary access to the nightclub, and we make every effort to allocate other guests to the back of the building where there is little noise. Most hotels in the city, as with any city, will have noise issues on Fridays and Saturdays, but we still regret that it caused you discomfort.

The Aircoach bus to the airport has a stop very near the hotel, but unfortunately they do not work on a set timetable. They try to work on a schedule that brings them past every 15-20min. As there is no line of sight with reception, it would be difficult to ascertain when the last bus passed. She should have made you aware that Aircoach operate a 'Live Position' service on their website at http://www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.buses.coaches.php but the service is down temporarily. If it is any of the other buses into town, they have a display at the bus stop that informs us of the next bus and we would frequently run out to check this for our guests. The situation with the Aircoach should definitely have been made clearer to you regarding their not running on a set timetable. I'll make sure that they are better prepared for this question in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to forward your remarks. I would obviously have preferred to have spoken to you in person during your stay. We would have been in a position to act on your feedback in a way that would positively impact your enjoyment of the stay. I will endeavor to work on the points that we can improve upon.

John Clarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Lovely, quirky hotel, staff are friendly, rooms are comfortable,stayed here for one night and was very pleased, bus from the front door drops you into the city centre and also the 145 bus goes straight to Heuston train station. Do not recommend night club, gorgeous decor, rough crowd.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. You're very good to take the time to submit the kind review.

I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy our nightclub. As you would have seen, we are in a very nice neighbourhood and we normally get a very nice crowd of civilised 25-40-year-olds, to compliment our nostalgia nights. You can see from our vanilla nightclub facebook page that the crowd is normally not in the young & boisterous category.

You may have encountered a hen party or a birthday party - our sincere apologies that it affected your enjoyment of the evening. That aside, I'll be certain to pass your kind words on to the team.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Loved my stay, I will refer others. My only regret is that I didn't know sooner. The room was excellent with all the right amenities. The bar was stocked with delicious food. Bullmers & wings were my favorite.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave such kind comments. I'm fairly partial to those wings myself! Thank you for spreading the word.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My wife and I stayed her for one night and found it to be a very enjoyable stay,rooms clean and comfortable even though fire in room did not heat up, breakfast was really good value and would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody

1 Thank Patrick S
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind words. We really appreciate that you took the time to submit a review. Our apologies about the fireplace. The fireplaces all have a light setting and a heater setting - we'll check all rooms to make sure both are operational. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

The hotel was beautiful and the room was the most comfortable of our stay in ireland after staying at bed and breakfasts. Felt like staying at a much higher end hotel, the spa like bath was a hige treat. Far walk to town center, but we knew that going in. Free parking was a remarkable plus

Dear Guest,

We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us as a part of your honeymoon. We honoured to have been included in your itinerary. Thank you very much for your kind review. I'll be sure to pass the positive comments to the team.

london
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here for several nights whilst on business.

I was pleasently surprised.

I loved the decor and the hotel looked fresh and well looked after.

Reception staff on checking in and out were really friendly and welcoming.

Bar/ restaurant staff friendly.

Good 2 nights sleep in comfortable large room.

Had dinner there and breakfasts twice and was very good.

Definifetly going to use this as my Dublin base and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review. We're very grateful that you took the time, and we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here on a Monday night with a young baby. The service from staff was excellent. The decor throughout the hotel is fab. The room we had was lovely with all the things you would expect to have in a hotel of its rating. The tv was huge! The bathroom was also very spacious. We had a quiet room at the back of the hotel. The negatives of this hotel would be that the bed seemed to be two beds pushed together and one of them was awfully noisy every time you moved so I would check the beds before settling in a room. The other main downside is that the hotel is not equipped to cater for a baby (or indeed a person in a wheelchair) with steps at every entrance and no baby changing facilities in the bar/restaurant/reception area. In saying this we managed fine and enjoyed our stay. It is a beautiful hotel in a lovely area of Dublin with only a 20 minute walk to the top of Grafton Street. I would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Could be noisy at weekend as there is a nightclub so ask for room away from this noise.