“Just not a true 4 star” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Hamburg, Germany
“Just not a true 4 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

First, best way to get here from the airport is with the air coach, 14 euro round trip and it stops right across the street from the hotel.
Great staff, however,
The entire hotel smells of the cooking in the Bistro, a fried smell, which avoided us eating there, you would end up smelling of fried cooking.
The benches in the Bistro are of low quality and that is evident in the shape they're in.
We were on the 4th floor, at the top of the stairs the cleaning crew accumulated bags of laundry, left over room service and cutlery, not to mention the stains on the carpet left over on that spot, not acceptable in a 4 star.
The rooms are nice, and the bathrooms are very nice, however the dust on the surfaces in the rooms was a clear sign the cleaning was not at 4 star standard.
The rooms are not sound insulated from the hallway or other rooms, and the occasional noises are clearly audible.
I can't honestly say I would recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moshe L
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for leaving a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and commented on our great staff.

From your headline stating that we are "not a true 4-star", I assume that you are very well versed in the 36-page hotel classification document that determines the grading of hotels in Ireland. I can't imagine anyone making such a comment flippantly on such a public forum. To do so would not just be irresponsibly inaccurate, but deeply insulting to our hard-working team here. So I will respectfully assume that your dog ate the last five pages of this classification document, which led you to make this casual, throwaway remark. I can happily confirm, being in possession of the entire certificate, that we sail through the four-star classification process every year, with no caveat or addendum attached.

Regarding the two damaged banquette seats in our bar bistro, you are quite correct. We had some electricians in recently installing some extra lighting above these seats. In their child-like exuberance, they stomped around carelessly on the seating causing the seams to tear. Not to doubt your expertise in banquette materials but they are not low-quality, as you state. The true fact is that they are of the very highest quality. We have an expert coming in the next few weeks to re-cover the two seats. I can assure you that nothing was done on-the-cheap in this hotel.

I was a little puzzled by your remark that the entire hotel smells of the cooking in the bistro. I was even starting to question not only my own olfactory system, but that of every other guest we had had the pleasure to welcome. None of us can pick up this smell around the entire hotel. If by entire hotel, you mean inside the Bar Bistro and at the entrance of the Bar Bistro, then I will concede that it is highly likely that you smelled food in these areas. Our most popular item in the bistro is our Chicken Wings. They are making quite a name for themselves in the locale. This may be what you smelled. Most of the items on our menu are grilled rather than fried though. To say that you smelled this food around the entire hotel is just not factual. Exaggeration is the insidious enemy of truth... .

On our housekeeping practices, I am sorry if you came across some dust in your room. We always score very highly on our housekeeping and cleanliness and it disappoints me that we didn't get it right when you stayed. Every hotel on earth has bags of laundry and room service trays outside doors as the room is being serviced. A housekeeping porter then goes around clearing these items throughout the day. The corridors are completely clear at the end of the afternoon. This is the same process that is practiced in every property, from humble B&Bs to the best five-star hotels.

On hearing occasional sounds from your bedroom, I apologise if it impacted on your stay. As a hotel that was created from six Georgian-era houses, the shell is very sturdy, but no hotel can truly guarantee a sound-proofed environment, even a hotel in a leafy suburb, as we are.

Thank you again for your stay. Constructive points are always welcome and something that we will always act upon. Exaggerations, inaccuracies, and flippant remarks can sometimes lower the weighting that people attach to a reviewer's feedback, but I promise to extract the points that we can genuinely address, and make improvements that our future guests can appreciate.

John Clarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
Paris, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and while the employees were very kind (they sent us a bottle of champagne for my husband's birthday) the hotel was nothing special. And since the Irish people are so kind I am sure you could find the same good service a lot of other places.

Pros: big bathrooms, kind employees, bus stop right outside
Cons: small rooms, carpet in bedroom (gross), a little out of the way (20 min walk to most sites), lumpy bed

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review.

The content of your review did puzzle me slightly though. In one breath you complimented us on our team's service and kindness in helping you celebrate with a complimentary bottle of champagne, and then immediately denigrated that service and thoughtfulness by suggesting that people go elsewhere to find the same thoughtfulness and good service! A little unkind, I feel. Our team will be disappointed in reading this. They really do try their best to be authentic and welcoming.

For the sake of anyone reading this review, I should point out that our bedrooms vary from 14sqm (standard) up to 30sqm (luxury), so we have something for every budget. The standard rooms will be smaller than our select and luxury rooms, but this is the nature of all hotel layouts.

The hotel is open less than five years and the furniture, fittings & decor are all modern. Most people like our decor (we have won Tripadvisor awards for Trendiest Hotel in Ireland!) - but of course it's everyone's right to hold their own opinion. It's disappointing, however, to read your comment calling our carpet design 'gross' just because it is not to your personal liking. A more accurate and fair phrasing would point out that ours is a modern design aesthetic (that is available to view on our website) and that the design choices were not to your taste. It would get your view across without resorting to the sort of vernacular normally reserved for brussel sprouts.

Phrasing choices aside, I'm very grateful you stayed with us, hope you enjoyed your time in Ireland, and had a safe journey home.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

To be fair not badly situated just 10mins bus ride outside the town centre. Food here was good and the room was nice. In all quite an enjoyable stay. Staff were polite and drinks were fairly priced... would I stay again? Probably not as I would like to experience other hotels but I can't complain about it at all :-)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay with us. I really appreciate your kind comments.

Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed in the Hampton Hotel over the weekend and I have to say I was a little disappointed. We booked the "Hampton Select" room which I presumed was more luxurious than a standard double as per the price but I was underwhelmed on arrival. The room was beautifully decorated but was quite small. In saying this, the room had some lovely touches including the fire and the underfloor heating in the bathroom which we were both very impressed with.

The real disappointed came the next morning at breakfast. We regularly stay at hotels and I have never experienced breakfast the way it was served at the Hampton. We were given a menu on arrival which included the usual cooked breakfasts along with pastries, cereals, fruit etc (with everything priced) and asked to order from this. We ordered our breakfast along with tea/coffee and toast. The food that arrived was delicious and well cooked but I don't feel we were given the option of cereal, pastries or juices etc as the menu was taken from us as soon as we ordered! I would normally approach the waitress to query this but she came across rude to a number of other guests so we decided against it. (We overheard a gentleman who was not staying at the hotel ask if he could order breakfast and she just sighed and reluctantly agreed!)

Overall we had a pleasant stay but unfortunately the stay did not meet my expectations based on the price paid. I would recommend the hotel but on a B&B basis.

Room Tip: "Hampton Select" room didn't seem any superior to a standard double so save your money...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KRPD
Galway Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the misfortune to have to spend St Patricks night, passing time in Dublin, while our kids were at a concert in the Olympia. It was so busy and crazy in the city centre, that we didnt even consider trying to park, to find something to eat.
I had spent 2 nights in this hotel last august and loved it, so we drove out there and parked in front of the hotel.
The bar was very quiet ( relief!) and we had a relaxing hour and some very nice food too. I would recommend this hotel for its location and top notch service and comfort.
I cant wait to spend a few nights there again soon.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for staying with us over the St. Patrick's Day weekend. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!

I hope you keep us in mind in the future.

Marghera, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. I was very ill and so it was great to have a nice room to go back to (410) when feeling crappy. They offer a great hot breakfast ( reasonable price ) and we had dinner at the Bistro which was nothing special but tasty enough. However, future guests beware. There is a night club on the ground floor and it can get a very noisy on Fri and Sat. I did not mind but then again I had a 39 C degree fever. So it is a great place to party and for you Rugby people it is a lovely 15 min walk to the Aviva Stadium. The Donnybrook area is adorable with its gourmet market and other little shops and places to eat. We will return and hopefully I will have better luck with my health next time!

• Stayed March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is very nice indeed and I would highly recommend for a night away with the better halves.The room was lovely with the fireplace beneath the tv and the underfloor heating in the bathroom,also the bed was unbelievable I mean i could not get out of it in the morning and was almost going to stay another night for the bed alone.The reception staff were very accomodating and any time we came in our out of the hotel we were greeted with a nice smile and a hello which is not always the case these days. The food in the bar was lovely,although we did only eat our lunch here it was very nice and not overlypriced. All in all I would definetly recommend this hotel as it is a little slice of luxury located in a very central location.

Room Tip: Ask for a luxury suite and go on a Sunday if possible as it is a lot quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I really appreciate that you took the time to submit it.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and in particular the friendliness of our staff. I'm glad that they were professional enough to look past your leanings towards the Red Devils, and offer you the same genuine welcome that they would extend towards someone who supported another team in Red. I promise not to hold their professionalism* (*betrayal) against them!

Friendly rivalries aside, I'm genuinely glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and also for your generous recommendation of our hotel and our services on this site.

I hope you'll keep us in mind in the future.