“A real Gem of an hotel in a beautiful area of dublin”
Review of Hampton Hotel

Hampton Hotel
Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“A real Gem of an hotel in a beautiful area of dublin”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We recently stayed in the Hamptons Hotel in Donnybrook for one night in a luxury suite. Our experience was excellent and we cannot recommend this boutique Hotel highly enough. The staff are very friendly and efficient, the room was very high spec with a fabulous ensuite bathroom and rain shower. The room was a very generous size with a really comfortable bed. We had champagne on arrival outside on the parasole covered seating in this leafy Dublin (which came with chocolate dipped strawberries). We had a lovely meal in the trend restaurant and a fab breakfast in bed the next morning. All in all a great hotel within walking distance to the city center and on the aircoach bus route to the airport.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Friendly staff, clean rooms, great view, reasonable prices. My friends stayed across the park and paid 2 1/2 times more than I did for rooms at the Four Seasons that were stuffy and sterile. The Hampton had a lot of character and after a week of driving across Ireland I loved having an early night and sinking into my cushy bed and watching a cheesy movie on the big flat screen TV over a glass of wine from the bar. A taxi from the hotel to Temple Bar was around 8 Euros. Bus stop is right out front also.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I just spent a couple of nights at Hampton Hotel, and after so many years of travelling to Dublin for work and never quite finding a nice place, this is it! Other reviews were very good, and this is well deserved. From Gudrun in Reception, to the staff in the restaurant and the cleaners, everyone is really friendly and professional.
The hotel is also very well situated, close to the city centre and easy to reach by bus. A few minutes walk up the road and you can enjoy a nice meal, or stay at the hotel where the food is really nice too.
I was kindly provided with an upgrade, and the room was lovely, huge bed and cracking bathroom. If you want a quiet room you might be better at the back of the building, it's not that bad though, just traffic noise.
The breakfast concept is a little different, you do get served, so if you are in a hurry make sure you give yourself a bit more time just in case the breakfast staff is a little busy.
Great place, really enjoyed the atmosphere and the staff is happy which is only a good sign of a nice place to stay. Gudrun deserves a medal too, friendliest person in reception I have seen for ages, and 150% reliable in local knowledge. Thanks again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Yann1
Padova
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Though I have to confirm most of the review that give a very good evaluation to this hotel (especially the personnel is very good, kind and helpful), I had a very bad experience with it since I couldn't sleep well.

It happened that my room was placed beside a meeting room. In order to meet the meeting room, people had to pass in front of my room. Guess what happens to your sleep when at 6:45 AM (yes, I'm not joking) a meeting takes place... at least 20 people going up and down the aisle (which, by the way, was not carpet but parquet flooring, dramatically increasing the noise of the steps....) beside my room.

That night then at midnight (again, I'm not joking!!!) someone had the briliant idea to start vacuum cleaning this meeting room. That happened after 2 hours of going up and down the aisle with the same purpose of cleaning the meeting room...
The morning after at 7:00 AM another meeting took place...

My remark is addressed to the management of this hotel that decides to arrange business meetings so early in the morning and at the same time placing guests in a neighbouring room. The two things don't go together well. In my opinion this is a lack of respect for the hotel guests. And that is the reason for a poor evaluation.

As regards all other aspects of the hotel, especially the hotel staff, everything was great.

Therefore in my opinion this could be a very good hotel, but it all depends if you're forced against your will by the hotel management to attend business meetings at sunrise or not!!! And yes, I would suggest it to a friend, because I would first tell him the room to avoid!

The funny thing is that I have chosen this hotel instead of others I've already used in that area because it was supposed to be very quiet at night!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FTLPadova
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Hampton Hotel in November 2009 and were amazed by how nice it was. The decor is lovely and modern, and the rooms are divine! The plasma TV on the wall, the LCD fire place, the lush beds, and the amazing marble bathrooms, all made our 2 night stay fantastic.
If you stay here, you must try the breakfast in the hotel bar. The full Irish breakfast is gorgeous!
The staff here are very helpful and nothing is too much to ask. I will definitely be staying at this hotel when I return to Dublin!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Epsom England
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at the Hampton for two nights in June 2010.
The Hotel has a boutique type feel, with modern rooms. Ours was the standard Hampton Preferred, located at the back of the Hotel and very quiet. We had two excellent nights sleep.
There was a large modern bathroom providing usual comforts like hairdryer, shower gel shampoo etc. Large LCD TV in bedroom with DVD player. Free rental of DVDs available. Tea & Coffee facilities . Large very comfortable bed.
The hotel fronts a fairly busy main road although is set back enough for the traffic noise not to be intimidating. At the front of the hotel there’s also a nice covered seating veranda which is nice when in the sun of an evening.

About 20 mins walk to St Stephen’s Green, which is at the edge of the main town centre, where we hopped on the city sightseeing red bus. We bought the tickets from hotel reception. There are plenty of buses that stop just outside the hotel if you prefer, including the fast coach service to and from the airport.

The people at the reception were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area.
The bar/come restaurant is very pleasant. Bar staff very friendly. We had one evening meal which was very good. Bar & food prices not cheap but not expensive either & compared to similar hotels / bars. Dublin, in general I found expensive compared to London, except for the hotel which is comparable.
The bar area had entertainment on both nights we stayed and was quite good.
Can’t fault the hotel at all really. Would definitely be my first choice if ever visiting Dublin again.

All in all very pleased with my choice of hotel which was largely down to the comments I found on Tripadvisor before booking.

• Liked — Everything really
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 16 June 2010

My husband and I only stayed here for 2 nights but we wish it would have been longer. We enjoyed the funky, spacious room and great location. It is out of the way of the busy center and is in a nice, quiet, residential neighbourhood. The bus is directly in front of the hotel which makes it very easy to get downtown. Also, there is a great grocery store just a two minute walk away which is nice when you don't feel like going out to eat.
Only two faults. The first is that we requested a wake up call and did not get it. Secondly, we requested some ice to the room and it took about 45 minutes to arrive.
Overall though, we were very happy with this hotel and it will be our first pick next time we are in Dublin!