“Excellent Hotel in a Superb Location with Great Staff”
Review of Herbert Park Hotel

Herbert Park Hotel
Ranked #21 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Excellent Hotel in a Superb Location with Great Staff”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I have been staying in the Herbert park as a regular guest for over 10 years.

The Hotel is modern and very well laid out. The location is superb in Ballsbridge overlooking Herbert Park and ideally located for Concerts and Rugby & Soccer matches as it is right beside the RDS and Aviva Stadium. Nightlife and shopping are also in walking distance. Good car parking facilities.

The staff are very friendly, from reservations to front of house and it is a nice touch to be remembered by name and an effort is normally made to ensure I receive a room with a view.

The rooms are spacious and quiet with large comfortable beds and good facilities.
Breakfast is always top quality and the dining room has great views of the park.
Room rates are very competitive for a four star.

I stay normally as a Business guest but stay occasionally for leisure too and would have no hesitiation recommending the Hotel for city breaks and families as there are some very good packages.

Overall a top class Hotel, ideally located, with excellent facilities and super staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the park
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

From the moment I arrived to the hotel everything was all wrong. The prices were extortionate and quality didn't match the price. The staff were the worst I have ever encountered. I arrived to check in and my manager had booked three rooms as we were working at the R.D.S. He had booked the room with his credit card but because I had arrived first to check in they insisted on me paying for the room for the two nights plus a deposit. The whole thing with having to pay a deposit is embarrassing, they obviously don't trust their clientele if they think we were going to trash the room, you might understand if it was a group of young people on a crazy weekend in Dublin but not in a 4 star hotel aimed and catering for professionals and business people. I explained to the reception staff that my manager was paying for the accommodation and he would be checking in within the next hour but they refused to give me my room key until I paid the full amount up front. I asked them if they would speak to my manager over the phone to confirm his credit card details but they refused so I had to pay the full amount there and then. I appreciate if this is the hotel policy but I think they should review their policies in order to put customers first. Also the two receptionists I dealt with during this whole thing were rude and unhelpful, they just kept repeating their "policy" and wouldn't even consider my point of the issue. When I went to the room, I found it smaller than a room I had paid only €40 in Letterkenny two weeks previous, also there were no tea/coffee making facilities (as mentioned in most of the previous reviews). After I checked in I went to get lunch and when I asked the waitress if there were any tables for one she told me I had to join another person's table because it was full and she walked off, she didn't even attempt to check if there was a table free. The cheapest item on the menu was a bowl of vegetable soup €7.00, sandwiches and salads were €11 plus. I can't believe people agree to paying these prices, needless to say I didn't have lunch there. I had only been in the hotel two hours by this stage, not a good start. The following morning we were charged €80 for breakfast for four people, plus an extra €5 because one person in the party wanted eggs benedict (disgraceful in my opinion). For the rest of the weekend I just used the hotel to sleep and did my best to avoid having to deal with the rude and unhelpful staff, they all seemed like robots on overdrive with no personality or enthusiasm between them. I will certainly not be staying here again and advise anyone who wants a nice relaxing, hassle free stay in a hotel to avoid this place.

Room Tip: My only tip is don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank delboy86
pbarry, Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Delboy 86,

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us. Whilst we fully understand your frustration on check-in, we do require guests to cover the relevant charges or provide a valid credit card when they check-in to the hotel. Despite having your managers credit card to secure your reservation we didn't have any instruction on payment arrangements for your room.

We have several packages available including breakfast and this would have offered better value for you and your colleagues. Eggs Benedict is one of the few extras on the breakfast menu that we don't include on the normal menu price and there is a supplement of €5 which is clearly explained on the breakfast menu card.

It is clear that we didn't get off to a good start with you and that it was impossible to move on from there as your expectation of prices were different to what we offer in a high quality 4 star hotel. We will of course take your comments regarding the staff on board and will include in staff training.

Management, Herbert Park Hotel
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Room is only ok but, I found staff to be very rude and negative. They even put a 'please remove or we will for you' notice on my jeep while staying there. Quite expensive and they charge extra for everything. Won't be staying here for the rugby or horse show again

Room Tip: Another hotel would be a good idea
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
Dear John W,

Thank you for your review on the hotel. You most likely parked in a Disabled Parking spot or you were causing an obstruction to other vehicles, which is why we put a note on your jeep. Sorry if we offended you, but we did need you to move your vehicle for the benefit of other guests.

We appreciate your feedback on the charges, however we do offer several packages which offer extras (breakfast, parking, internet, late check-out etc.) included in the rate. Should you decide to stay with us again in the future we would recommend you to check these out on the hotel website as they offer the best value online.

Management, Herbert Park Hotel.
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

In the current economic recession, one would expect hotels to discount their prices for food and beverage as well as the cost of accommodation. Myself and my wife stayed 2 nights at The Herbert Park Hotel last weekend, as we were attending a ball in the nearby Four Seasons Hotel on the Friday night, and meeting up with some friends for dinner on Saturday evening.

Firstly, the positives....the hotel is superbly located, within a 15-20 minute stroll of the city centre. Likewise, the hotel is clean & comfortable, with a nice ambience. The kingsize beds our very comfortable. Herbert Park is a lovely place for a walk, and the hotel is located immediately beside this.

Now, on to the negatives......

Check-In: I pre-booked/pre-reserved this online, but was notified by email that no money had been charged to my debit card that I used for the reservation. I, like many people, no longer use, (or have the need to use) credit cards, except for foreign travel or car hire, and use my Visa debit card for just about everything else.

Upon checking in at the hotel, I was informed that they would have to charge for the full amount up front, on my card, as well as charging an additional €100 security deposit, refundable upon departure. I had no issues with this policy, except for the fact that I was NOT informed that I could not charge anything to my room, as a result of me paying by debit card (and not by credit card).

The latter issue was brought to my attention on the Saturday evening when myself and my wife ordered a drink from the bar, and we were told (loudly, in front of other guests, by an extremely unfriendly waitress), that "you have to pay cash - room charges not allowed on your room".

This issue really irritates me. When I mentioned this to the reception manager upon check out, he simply said that room charges are not allowed without a credit card being used upon check in. So, even though I had pre-paid, as well as paying an ADDITIONAL €100, I could not charge anything to my room? "No sir, the €100 security deposit is against the room", implying that this was some form of security, should I decide to trash the room. This policy is not good, and not one that I have encountered before. The unfriendliness of both the waitress and reception staff also left a lot to be desired.

I like my coffee - price for an Americano in the lobby bar/cafe area is €4.25 (that is $5.72 or £3.65) - extortionate for a 4 star residence.

When we checked out on Sunday, the aforementioned receptionist did not even enquire whether we enjoyed our stay - another thing that really bugs me.

Dublin has many hotels to choose from - unfortunately, The Herbert Park Hotel is certainly not one I will be frequenting again, nor one I would recommend)
Bedroom: The only criticism of our room would have been the fact that there are no tea-coffee making facilities available, (although the usual minibar was present, offering a selection of soft & alcoholic drinks at prices that would even shocka Saudi prince). A previous reviewer mentioned that extortionate price to avail of the in-room Playstation facility (€8 per hour?) - fortunately, we didn't have our children with us, so this was a non-issue.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Feedbacks_PR
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Just back after having the Family experience for the match.
The hotel was fine with a great breakfast. Hotel staff deligent bit not entirely friendly.
Check in was painfull as a Blonde receptionist would not let us have the keys to the room as another guest had booked in already. I found this daft as the booking was in MY NAME. She said something about a credit card and thereby we were not allowed proceed until the guest Okeyed it......
On Checkout we avoided this girl and went through another receptionist who could not have been friendlier and was efficient as well.
Sometimes it makes me think that these Hotels hire suitably qualified foreign staff who just do not have the same rapport as locals. These staff do everything 'by the book' and seem to exercise no discretion whatsoever. Unfortunately this hotel employs quite a number of this 'Straight- Jackets'. Thankfully our last interaction with a member of staff was a pleasant one and left us with a pleasant enough feeling to suggest that we will be back again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank heaneman
Dear heaneman,

Thank you for your review on the hotel. We understand your concerns over check-in. With so many arrivals at the hotel over the days that you stayed we cannot establish the particular details on your reservation. We do take extra care when a room is being shared and the guests arrive to check-in seperately as there is a security matter to take into account.

We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you to Herbert Park Hotel in the future.

Management, Herbert Park Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I've been staying here for a few weeks for work, and overall it's a nice place to stay, although details could be looked at.
The good: a huge park on the back, being in Ballsbridge (nice area), nice big comfy beds, and towels replaced every day without asking. Decent breakfast too with a choice of fruit, ham, toasts, sausages, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, yogurts, cereals, juices, the lot.
The bad: prehistoric tv sets in the bedrooms, with extortionate prices for movies or playing with a (lol) Playstation 1 (8 euros per hour). No kettle/tea/coffee in the room. Furniture decidedly tired. No iron either, which is ridiculous considering most of their clients are business men in suit that need to have a decent shirt to wear in the morning.
The ugly: No wifi in the rooms apart from the 5th floor, of course paid for with expensive vouchers. There's a cabled connection at 10 euros per day (and you have to borrow an ethernet cable from the reception to use it), slow as hell and works when it wants to. This is not acceptable in a business hotel, especially when there are youth hostels giving free reliable wifi all over the place!
So, if they'd add an iron in the rooms and free wifi this could be an excellent business choice for a stay.
Top tip: if you go in the lobby, between the reception and the right end and outside the right end by the fountain there's coverage with an unprotected NETGEAR network. Works 10 times better than their official one, I guess it's broadcasting from a neighbour living around the hotel, let's hope it lasts as it has been my last resort multiple times.

Room Tip: Possibly get a room on a higher floor to avoid facing a wall. I think rooms with view on the park ar...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Maxesse
Dear Maxesse,
Many thanks for your review on Herbert Park Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel and that you found it clean and overall nice.

We are in the process of installing WiFi in all guest bedrooms and this will be completed in the first quarter of 2012. This is a considerable investment in the hotel and whilst we would be delighted to provide the service free to guests this is not a realistic possibily for the foreseeable future.

Kind regards,
Management
Dublin
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed here for five nights in October 2011. The rooms were comfortable and clean, however I think it is ridiculous that there is no tea and coffee making facilites provided in the room so that you have to pay € 4.50 for room service every time you feel like a cup of tea. I also could not believe the prices they were charging for wi- fi. You also have to pay extra for parking and breakfast I think was €20 extra so even though the room might be decent value, your final bill could end up being considerably more. Hotels may have got away with this a few years ago but I think asking people to pay extra for such basic requirements these days is completely unreasonable. I also found that although the staff at reception were professional, they were not remotely friendly or welcoming and could come across quite cold. On the other hand, the accomodation staff who clean the rooms were very friendly and did a great job. I think this hotel would be okay for business trips but for a relaxing weekend away or a holiday, I would definately stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank tasha409
pbarry, Sales & Marketing Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear tasha409,

It is a shame you did not avail of our excellent value packages which are available to book on our website. We have a Business Package that includes accommodation, wifi and breakfast. We also have several other packages which are suitable for leisure guests and include parking, breakfast etc. It is definitely worth checking out these packages before you book on other websites as they are not available anywhere else.

I do hope this helps.