“Pleasant enough”

Ranked #21 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Pleasant enough”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Check in was a delight... the gentleman was welcoming, professional and we were delighted to be met by an Irish person on reception in a Irish Hotel. It is something that doesn't happen enough. Room was standard 4* room. Executive Floor room on 5th floor. No tea / coffee facilities in the room which was surprizing, however reception delivered a cuppa on arrival to the room.
Comfortable nights sleep, room was fine, average 4* quality, wouldn't blow me away but wouldn't bother me either. Breakfast however was a let down. Tea / Coffee served to the table, got the Full Irish ,sat down and realised that they didnt serve toast, had to go up and make my own, when I got back to the table, the Full Irish was cold. Toast should be served to the table with the tea or be located beside the Hot food, NOT the other side of the room. Rashers & mushrooms overcooked and totally dry. Not one bit impressed with the breakfast. Sorry. Waitress were not too friendly either and there wasn't any sight of a restaurant manager. This hotel is good value though and I am sure I will be back at some stage.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

this is a late review. we stayed in the herbert park in late august. this is a hotel we have frequented on numerous occasions and have always been impressed (on one occasion being upgraded to an executive for no additional cost). on this last visit we found that we had to pay for the underground parking and breakfast was not included but would cost an extra 29euro, something we had not realised when booking. i will have second thoughts when looking for accommodation in dublin in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicjk01
Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I have been staying in the Herbert Park hotel as a regular guest now for 3 years, I stay on average 2 nights per week. Before choosing the Herbert Park I had stayed in a number hotels in the area none of which met my expectations. The key difference between those hotels and the Herbert Park is the quality of the staff. , The rooms are bright and spacious and are well sound proofed. The staff at the hotel are both professional and friendly , they always go the extra mile to ensure my stay is a pleasant one. This is the key reason why I return to the hotel again and again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Before I begin I’d like to say that I’ve always tried to be honest and understanding about every review I contribute to this site. If you look at any of my other reviews you will see that. We stayed here on Saturday night 10th December and it was a wedding gift from a friend of ours and I have to say this is the worst experience I’ve ever had in a hotel. The location is quite good as it’s in the middle of Ballsbridge and is only a short taxi trip to the centre of Dublin. The bar area has the same atmosphere as an empty warehouse. I’m all for ultra modern open plan spaces but this was like drinking in an aeroplane hanger. The rooms are quite basic with good size bathrooms. We had planned a night out with friends in a pub just across the road and we came back to the hotel bar at 2.30 a.m. and asked for a nightcap only to be told the bar was closed. The manner in which we were treated was disgraceful. I had no problem with the bar being closed but there was no need for rudeness. We made the mistake of going for breakfast the next morning and boy what a mistake. If you like your rashers, sausages and eggs cold then this is the place for you. Breakfast’s are the simplest meals to prepare, in fact I’d say it’s harder to get a breakfast wrong than right. This was nothing short of atrocious. The people at the table next to us complained but after our experience the night before I knew they were wasting their time. We decided to check out early and put this awful place behind us but the final insult was yet to come. We were charged €10.00 for car parking which they informed us was standard. This hotel is a complete let down on quite a few fronts but its biggest failure is its staff. They are rude, unhelpful and seem unmotivated. The staff in a hotel or restaurant can make or break a customer’s experience that much I know. This hotel has a lot of work to do. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrBlack77777
pbarry, Manager at Herbert Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear ShaneButler,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us. We have investigated your feedback and from our records you returned to the hotel in the early hours with non-residents that of course we were unable to serve due to the licensing laws. It was not the intention of the night staff to be rude and I am sorry if you interpreted it this way.

We would have have served a fresh cooked breakfast without question had we known at the time that your breakfast was not hot enough. We understand that this is a very important meal service for residents and we want to get it right.

If you would like to discuss your stay further we would be delighted to engage with you directly. Please email info@herbertparkhotel.ie

Management, Herbert Park Hotel
Dublin
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I have been staying in the Herbert park as a regular guest for over 10 years.

The Hotel is modern and very well laid out. The location is superb in Ballsbridge overlooking Herbert Park and ideally located for Concerts and Rugby & Soccer matches as it is right beside the RDS and Aviva Stadium. Nightlife and shopping are also in walking distance. Good car parking facilities.

The staff are very friendly, from reservations to front of house and it is a nice touch to be remembered by name and an effort is normally made to ensure I receive a room with a view.

The rooms are spacious and quiet with large comfortable beds and good facilities.
Breakfast is always top quality and the dining room has great views of the park.
Room rates are very competitive for a four star.

I stay normally as a Business guest but stay occasionally for leisure too and would have no hesitiation recommending the Hotel for city breaks and families as there are some very good packages.

Overall a top class Hotel, ideally located, with excellent facilities and super staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the park
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

From the moment I arrived to the hotel everything was all wrong. The prices were extortionate and quality didn't match the price. The staff were the worst I have ever encountered. I arrived to check in and my manager had booked three rooms as we were working at the R.D.S. He had booked the room with his credit card but because I had arrived first to check in they insisted on me paying for the room for the two nights plus a deposit. The whole thing with having to pay a deposit is embarrassing, they obviously don't trust their clientele if they think we were going to trash the room, you might understand if it was a group of young people on a crazy weekend in Dublin but not in a 4 star hotel aimed and catering for professionals and business people. I explained to the reception staff that my manager was paying for the accommodation and he would be checking in within the next hour but they refused to give me my room key until I paid the full amount up front. I asked them if they would speak to my manager over the phone to confirm his credit card details but they refused so I had to pay the full amount there and then. I appreciate if this is the hotel policy but I think they should review their policies in order to put customers first. Also the two receptionists I dealt with during this whole thing were rude and unhelpful, they just kept repeating their "policy" and wouldn't even consider my point of the issue. When I went to the room, I found it smaller than a room I had paid only €40 in Letterkenny two weeks previous, also there were no tea/coffee making facilities (as mentioned in most of the previous reviews). After I checked in I went to get lunch and when I asked the waitress if there were any tables for one she told me I had to join another person's table because it was full and she walked off, she didn't even attempt to check if there was a table free. The cheapest item on the menu was a bowl of vegetable soup €7.00, sandwiches and salads were €11 plus. I can't believe people agree to paying these prices, needless to say I didn't have lunch there. I had only been in the hotel two hours by this stage, not a good start. The following morning we were charged €80 for breakfast for four people, plus an extra €5 because one person in the party wanted eggs benedict (disgraceful in my opinion). For the rest of the weekend I just used the hotel to sleep and did my best to avoid having to deal with the rude and unhelpful staff, they all seemed like robots on overdrive with no personality or enthusiasm between them. I will certainly not be staying here again and advise anyone who wants a nice relaxing, hassle free stay in a hotel to avoid this place.

Room Tip: My only tip is don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank delboy86
Dear Delboy 86,

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us. Whilst we fully understand your frustration on check-in, we do require guests to cover the relevant charges or provide a valid credit card when they check-in to the hotel. Despite having your managers credit card to secure your reservation we didn't have any instruction on payment arrangements for your room.

We have several packages available including breakfast and this would have offered better value for you and your colleagues. Eggs Benedict is one of the few extras on the breakfast menu that we don't include on the normal menu price and there is a supplement of €5 which is clearly explained on the breakfast menu card.

It is clear that we didn't get off to a good start with you and that it was impossible to move on from there as your expectation of prices were different to what we offer in a high quality 4 star hotel. We will of course take your comments regarding the staff on board and will include in staff training.

Management, Herbert Park Hotel
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Room is only ok but, I found staff to be very rude and negative. They even put a 'please remove or we will for you' notice on my jeep while staying there. Quite expensive and they charge extra for everything. Won't be staying here for the rugby or horse show again

Room Tip: Another hotel would be a good idea
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
Dear John W,

Thank you for your review on the hotel. You most likely parked in a Disabled Parking spot or you were causing an obstruction to other vehicles, which is why we put a note on your jeep. Sorry if we offended you, but we did need you to move your vehicle for the benefit of other guests.

We appreciate your feedback on the charges, however we do offer several packages which offer extras (breakfast, parking, internet, late check-out etc.) included in the rate. Should you decide to stay with us again in the future we would recommend you to check these out on the hotel website as they offer the best value online.

Management, Herbert Park Hotel.