“Dont believe what you read!”
Review of The Central Hotel

The Central Hotel
Ranked #104 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Just back from another excellent stay at The Central Hotel. Looks just as good as it did last time.

The staff are excellent, nothing is a problem for them, and the bar staff are very hospitable. The prices in the Library bar are very reasonable considering prices elsewhere in Dublin.

Our lovely room looked onto the side street, and yes it was noisy, but if you want peace and quiet then, like any other city centre hotel, stay out of it!

Myself and the rest of my party have no complaints at all and are looking forward to our next visit already.

Thank you Central Hotel for another enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Centrahotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. We really love to get positive feedback.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Last year, we were booked to stay here when our flight was canceled due to an eruption of a volcano in Iceland. All the airports were closed in northern Europe. Even though I canceled the reservation 36 hours in advance, this hotel charged our credit card for our first night and refused to refund it or even give us a credit for our rescheduled trip!! I had to fight them for months through our credit card company and finally the credit card company was able to get us our our money back. It was crazy!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SusuSeven
Centrahotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

This review is factually incorrect. We did not charge anyone who cancelled withing the cancellation period which is 48 hours and in fact during thsis period we reduced it to 24 hours.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Hotel is in a great location, you have restaurants, Temple Bar and shops within a short walk. We celebrated a 30th birthday and the staff kindly decorated the room on arrival and provided a cake at no extra charge. It's not Luxurious but it's by no means basic and suited us perfectly as we were there to see Dublin and not sit around in the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011
Centrahotel, Public Relations Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for your comments. We love to get positive feedback.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

Recently stayed at the Central Hotel and must say I go back and forth with my experience.

Positives:
Location, location, location. Short walking distance to Grafton St., Temple Bar, St. Stephen's Green, Trinity College....definitely lives up to it's name.

Friendly staff: everyone was very kind and quick to respond to requests. Checking in and out was very simple and they even called a taxi for us upon our departure.

Negatives:
Although affordable, I did feel my room was not worth the price. Twin bed that was very hard. Room was tiny. It felt more like a hostel than a hotel.

My room did not get wifi unless I stood right by the door to the room. I asked the front desk and they did offer to move my room but I had already unpacked and did want to go through the hassle of moving.

I could only get the lamp next to the bed to work so the lighting was very dim. This was not a big issue for me and did not bother to report the issue.

Bathroom was tiny as well.

The door to my room had to be slammed to get it to latch. At one point I left to walk around Grafton St. and returned to an open room door. Thankfully nothing was missing, but you can imagine my surprise. I had shut the door but apparently it did not latch. (rm. 401)

Did I mention how uncomfortable the bed was.

My friend who was in the room down the hall had water temp and room temp issues. Mine were not as bad but if you want to take a cool shower just wait til the weather changes and head outside.

Overall the location was worth the stay but the hotel could use some improvements. To be fair I did not complain about any of the issues because they were all minor in the grand scheme of things. I was not in Dublin for the wifi and changing rooms probably would not have made a huge difference in comfort.

I would recommend staying here only for the location and staff. If you do not plan on staying in the room much than it is worth the stay on a short visit. For longer visits, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your comments have been noted, we welcome all feedback in our efforts to improve our product.

Reviewed 7 April 2011

Out of all of the places that we stayed in Ireland, The Central Hotel gets my most mixed review and it is the only place that I cannot recommend to a friend. It has some positives, but they do not outweigh the negatives, which is unfortunate.

I wanted to like this hotel, but I left there feeling like I made a mistake. It was the last place that we stayed at in Ireland and it paled in comparison with the other hotels on our trip. It is an older hotel, but that does not mean it cannot be properly maintained. I just feel like the owners know how good the location is and they feel like that is enough to keep the hotel occupied throughout the year. Unfortunately, they are probably correct, but I feel like some people may not find the location to be enough.

First, the positives: The location is outstanding. As the name says, it is centrally located and is close to nearly everything. It is a short walk to places like Grafton Street, Temple Bar, Trinity College, Dublin Castle, etc. This is a major plus and it was one of the main reasons we booked the hotel. The second positive was that nearly all members of the staff were friendly and accomodating, especially the maids. The third positive is that it had an affordable price, but that does not mean it is a great value.

The negatives: Unfortunately, there were enough negatives that I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. The rooms need some serious work. We each had single rooms, so I cannot say if all of the room types are the same. My room was small, but that was expected in an older hotel. However, the room was on the 4th floor and it was very hot (despite it being early April). It also had a door which did not seem to properly fit the frame, allowing me to hear even casual conversations in the hallway, so I cannot say it was quiet.

As I mentioned, it was a single bed, which was not a problem. But it was not comfortable and the pillow was horrible. Instead of covering the bed with a normal sheet, this one was equipped with some type of sheet/comforter combination which may have worked if the room had been cooler, but I had to sleep with no cover at all. The room was small, so lighting should not have been a problem, but even that was inadequate as the lamps seemed to only light half of the room. The carpet appeared to be dirty or a little worn. Also, while I was able to use the free Wifi, my friend across the hall was not. We were told that most rooms on the 4th floor had signal issues and he could come to the lobby to use Wifi.

Next up is the bathroom. The small shower apparently had 2 water temperature settings, Scalding and Uncomfortably Hot. I usually found Uncomfortably Hot to be the best. The bathroom mirror was apparently designed in a time when humans were much shorter, as it was only about 5 feet from the floor. In order to see my face in the mirror, I had to bend over or assume an awkward squatting position, which I do not recommend to anyone.

Overall, I would say if price and location are your only concerns, this may be the place for you (binge drinkers may find this to be enough). However, if you do not plan to end the night suffciently intoxicated, you may find this hotel to be lacking certain amenties.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.
Our hotel has been fully renovated over the past couple of years but we have taken exreme care to Maintain its period features.Our rooms are all different shapes and sizes. Our Single rooms are most difinitely smaller. Where possible we use our double or bigger rooms for single occupancy but when we are busy, we use the single rooms.
We use duvets and duvet covers as do most of the hotels thesedays. Should anyone want sheets and blankets, we do have them in stock and are more then happy to provide them.
We pride ourselves on the fact that we try to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible so we use CFL's which may take a little time to get to their full illumination on our rooms.
We have taken all of the points which you have made very seriously and will use them in our efforts to improve our product.
Once again thank you for taking the time to send us your review.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Adequate accomodations, nothing fancy. Shower pressure wasn't too great. The staff was very nice though and very accomodating. Historically, it is the oldest hotel in Dublin. The library bar was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

We are located in the city centre so some street noise is to be expected. If you are a light sleeper, we recommend that you reqest one of our quiet rooms. We email all of our clients to inform them prior to their arrival.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

Great Location. Very well priced. I stayed here in October 2010 after my friend recommended it to me. the rooms are well decorated and alot better than i expected..
would stay again

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Centrahotel, Public Relations Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We always love to get positive feedback.