“great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Westport, Ireland
“great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

it was very good the rooms were tidy the beds were comfortable the service was good and its ni the heart of dublin.............................................................................................

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank emettlego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Boyle, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is all about the location. It is situated in the very city centre, on the doorstep of Grafton Street & it's large shopping neighbourhood, and surrounded by lots of busy bars & restaurants- varying in price & style.

The hotel decor is old style & the reception & landing areas have a certain charm with elaborate hall tables, mirrors & chandeliers.

My room was quite small & completely dominated by the large bed. The ensuite looked like it had been renovated more recently than the bedroom & was spotlessly clean.

None of the channels on the TV had a clear picture & there was an annoying buzz from most of them. I didn't complain as I had my laptop anyway. Tea & coffee-making equipment was provided.

Breakfast & reception staff were pleasant, friendly & helpful.
All in, this hotel is a great option if you just need somewhere to sleep that's comfortable & is located right in the centre of everything. If you want to stay somewhere that feels special, with fancy facilities & stylish decor - this place is not for you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank SharonaT
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stay in the Central Hotel regularly as I've found it the best value hotel in the city centre. If you're looking for the standardized Holiday Inn every-room-perfectly-the-same experience, move along. But if you appreciate a bit of worn at the edges character you'll find it hard to beat this brilliantly located hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank PSMCP1
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location to explore Dublin. The staff were pleasant and efficient. The room we stayed in was clean, presentable and a good size. There are lots of cafes, restaurants and shops nearby. If you are adventurous and enjoy walking it is a great base for visiting many of Dublin's visitor attractions. There is also a great range of nightlife nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cambridge, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had a recent one night stay at this hotel and it was very nice! It is an old building but well maintained. Great location downtown and easy to get to most of the places we wanted to see in the short time we were there. Our room was very clean and quiet and our bathroom was fine. The staff there was very helpful. It was also nice that they have a secure place to keep your luggage after check-out while we were finishing some sight seeing before leaving Dublin.

Room Tip: We had an inside room so it was not one overlooking the street which I suspect might be a bit louder...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AllenCambridge_MN
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in mid-March. The hotel itself is lovely and historic and we just loved the ambiance. We loved the restaurant next door as well (but that is another review).

The oddness in the bathroom - well, there were three steps leading to the bath/shower.. with a two foot drop-off into the jazuzzi-type tub. Um, this middle aged couple did their best mountain goat impersonations getting in and out of there! :)

Also, with our jet lag, went out for a walk about 3 am, only to discover we were locked in the hotel. Yes, the front door was locked. We located a worker on another floor to come let us out. Given the frivolity in the streets, I understand why, but letting guests know in advance would have been nice...

Rates were reasonable for the central location. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have just returned home to Nashville, Tennessee after spending several days in Dublin at the Central. I wanted to find a hotel that felt like Ireland and I did. I had booked a single room, upon arrival was given a double that I just loved. I did not have a view from my room, but that didn't bother me. I left the hotel when I wanted to see sights. Originally booked this hotel for a couple of reasons, location of course and it's charm. I was not disappointed at all! The staff was more than helpful with each request I had. I had breakfast once in the hotel which was quite yummy, the wait staff could not have been better. Also ordered dinner one night in the Library Bar and took it up to my room, fantastic service there as well. There was always a bit of noise at night, but I expected that and was not really bothered by it. I had brought ear plugs as suggested in some reviews I had read, but never had to use them. My room was located on the 2nd floor and the Wifi was super, anytime day or night, it worked perfectly. I loved having Dunnes Mkt. just across the street from the hotel, I very much enjoyed the Irish Milk I found there. There was an ATM just around the corner and a wonderful Ice Cream shop to the other end toward Grafton St. I was able to walk to most anywhere I wanted to go and felt quite safe doing so. And walk I did, everywhere! I fully intend on going back asap and will indeed book back at the Central.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor is sensitive to the noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo