“Good but could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Central Hotel

The Central Hotel
Ranked #92 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Good but could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on a recent trip to Dublin it was very central and a good price.
Room we got was very small (which didn't bother us as we had plenty planed for ourselves to do), the mattress and pillows were so hard I think we would have been better sleeping on the floor. The shower had no pressure even when turned to "high pressure" it was little more than a dribble.
But on a good note it was very clean and the staff were more than friendly. If the matress and pillows were better I would give this a higher rating.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 83ronie
isobelboyle, Front Office Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear 83ronie,
Thank You for taking the time to write Your review. We are sorry to hear you had problem with shower. Once it is reported to our staff we try to solve the problem immediately. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming You back to The Central Hotel. For best available rates I recommend contacting hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.
Isobel Boyle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My stay at this hotel was due to a two day trip to Dublin on business. We found the hotel on booking.com and it looked pretty central, as the name would suggest, so therefore a good location for my various meetings.
The hotel itself is ok, a little tired in places but otherwise clean and the staff are very friendly. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable enough. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning in the room so you need to have the window open to keep it moderately cool. With this in mind, I would recommend not visiting when it is hot as the surrounding area is ridiculously noisy throughout the night. We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night which you would assume to be quiet, I can assure you it is not.
The local bars serve until late into the night and people are not very considerate in the streets. Then on our second night, once the revellers had finally dissipated a lorry decided to spend the next 4 hours unloading and slamming doors, etc.
I don't blame the hotel for these issues but since you use a hotel to get some sleep and over the last two days I didn't sleep a wink, I am simply unable to give it a better score.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
isobelboyle, Front Office Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Chrissansom,
Thank You for taking the time to write Your review. We are aware of noise issue and trying to solve this problem, also hotel is listed and we are not allowed to change windows to triple glazed. Hotel has few inside building rooms which You can request on Your next visit to Dublin. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming You back to The Central Hotel. For reduced rates and quieter room I recommend contacting hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Needs an update all round but generally clean and tidy. Great location as the name suggests but also a major down as there is a very noisy pub on the corner that goes well into the evening. As we stayed in summer the room was really hot (no aircon) so we had to leave the window open to avoid boiling point (yes it does get hot in Dublin at least 2 days a year). This unfortunately resulted in the shouting and general pub noise keeping us awake into the early hours of the morning. Make sure you stay when it's cold (which is most of the time) so you can keep the windows closed...

Room Tip: Not ones that face onto the pub
2 Thank JHCowan
Dear buttertravel,
Thank You for taking the time to write Your review and thank You for Your comments. As a Hotel in city centre we are dealing with noise problem and trying to solve it as much as we can. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming You back to The Central Hotel. For reduced rates and quieter room for which I suggest to request inside building room, I recommend contacting hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights over the July bank hol. The location is fab! Walking distance to all the shopping areas and Temple Bar area. When we arrived at reception we had to wait, there was no apology when the girl asked my name and after i replied she answered a phone call. After which she asked my name again and then the other receptionist started talking to her. When I finally give my name a third time she give us our key cards.

I had prepaid and the hotel didnt send a confirmation email until after I had emailed them three times so Isobel had said she would upgrade us. This room was not an upgrade. The bed was fab but v.little space around it and it was very dusty. The shower had little pressure and cosmetics provided were rubbish. The room was very very warm and we looked out on a dirty roof with nosey heating system. We were there to party so the noise didnt bother us but may bother others.

We felt at 10 euro breakfast was very expensive so instead used the dunnes across the way which was very handy!

overall while the location was great we wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Laurz2
Dear Laurz2,
Thank You for taking time to write Your review. We apologize for the behaviour at the reception, the staff is notified about mentioned. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming You back at Central Hotel. I recommend contacting hotel directly for better room and reduced rates at info@centralhotel.ie.
Isobel Boyle

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Alba di Canazei
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in the Central Hotel for two weeks in July and found it to be very good indeed. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. What also made it a pleasant experience were the staff. They were all cheerful, helpful and efficient. The girls in the breakfast room were very attentive and made every effort to start our day well. The breakfast was abundant and well prepared. The hotel is great for visiting the city as it is indeed, centrally located. The reception staff were always on hand to help and advise. The only small gripe was the hairdryer in the bathroom, it was badly placed and continually came off the wall. However, having said that, when I mentioned it to the housekeeper she returned within minutes with a proper hairdryer which I kept for the duration of my stay. The Library Bar is fantastic, with the feel of a gentlemen's club - a wonderful setting to enjoy a pint or three. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you choose to spend time in the centre of Dublin then street noise is unavoidable - they love to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
isobelboyle, Front Office Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Villaflora,
Thank you for taking time to write your review and thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our hotel and I will pass the praises to all staff. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you again at Central Hotel. For reduced rates I recommend contacting hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.
Kind regards
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent. It is very easy to get to from the airport and it is only a short walking distance away from the main areas for sightseeing, shopping and eating out. We'd asked for a quiet room and were not disturbed by any outside noise (apart from the quite loud humming from a ventilator that was easy to block out). The room was spacious with a very comfortable mattress. The bathroom was huge and adequate but lacked enough hooks for hanging up towels (there is just one). The Library Bar in the first floor is a pleasant and cosy hangout for a drink. The only disappointment was the breakfast. While the continental breakfast is reasonably priced at 5 Euros, we didn't expect factory-produced pastries and scones still in their original packaging. With such a central location and so many outstanding food outlets nearby, sourcing freshly baked pastries and bread shouldn't be too difficult. -
I was very concerned at the check-out to be told that somebody else had just checked out using our room number and signing my credit card bill. As far as I can see, this didn't cause me any financial loss (the bill was accurately settled) but I feel uncomfortable that they didn't check the credentials more carefully and didn't ask for a pin code. I would have also expected the receptionist to be less blasé about it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
isobelboyle, Front Office Manager at The Central Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear PilpelAdom,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am sorry you felt uncomfortable and concerned during checking out.. Guest's safety and pleasure are always the most important for us and for the hotel. We hope to have pleasure of welcoming you back at Central Hotel with complimentary breakfast. For reduced rates I recommend contacting hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We loved staying in this hotel! The atmosphere is very good and our room with four people was spacious! The beds were comfortable and the linens clean. The front desk staff are very helpful and can help you get just about anywhere in town. The location is convenient to restaurants and pubs (lots of pubs) and we walked to most local attractions. The only thing is that it is noisy, so if you are a light sleeper, you might ask for a quiet room. We will definitely stay here if we make it back to Dublin. Also, unless you are going outside of Dublin to see the sights, you don't need a car. Parking is not too convenient and fairly expensive.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DV52
Dear DV52,
Thank you for writing your review and thank you for such a good mark. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed our hotel and time in Dublin. There are few rooms not facing the street, so I recommend to request one of them for your next stay. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you back at Central hotel in near future. For special room type and reduced rate please contact hotel directly at info@centralhotel.ie.