“An average stay”

Ranked #108 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“An average stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Charleville Lodge with my partner for just the one night- we paid €80 (£65?).
Upon arrival, we were allowed to check in slightly early which was a bonus for us as we'd been on a ferry for hours so were exhausted. Please bare in mind that if you use the car park, it's an additional €5 per night (!!).
Our room was just being cleaned out, so was nice and fresh on arrival. To be honest, the room is a little on the small side, and maybe a little dated? But sufficient for one nights stay, and we weren't intending on being stuck inside in Dublin!
We were a disappointed that there weren't tea/coffee facilities in the bedroom which we were expecting, and you had to pay additional for the safe in the wardrobe.
Our room overlooked the main road which was really pretty noisy, but that cannot be helped I suppose.
The beds/duvets/pillows were lovely and soft and once we dropped off we had a lovely nights sleep (which was all we wanted!).
We were awoken by a strange gurgling noise coming from the shower drain? Sounded as if something was going to come back up lol.
Check out is at 11, but you can pay an extra €20pp to stay until 6pm if required. Staff here were lovely and very helpful, you have to hand in your key whenever you leave the premises (very big keg tag wouldn't have fitted in my bag anyway lol).
The hotel itself is absolutely stunning, an old victorian building with beautiful high ceilings and furniture in the common area.
Overall, a good nights stay- I would come back again if it was for the one night- with a kettle of my own ;-)

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Laura C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I visted here as a staycation which was booked last minute (yes, I live in Dublin!). This was the best value hotel near the centre that included breakfast so it seemed like a good choice.
Some observations:
-Room and bathroom were standard-sized.
-Bed was very comfortable.
-Room was very clean.
-All of the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful.
-The location was also great for us but I suppose we weren't typical travellers. There are frequent buses from across the road straight into the city centre so I wouldn't let the location put you off.
-A few things could do with being updated, such as the dining room and the carpet on the stairs but obviously they aren't major issues.
-The Irish breakfast was very good and they were flexible when I asked for some items to be swapped.
-No coffee facilities in the room but facilities in the hallway/lounge.
-Cleaning staff were happy to leave us alone when we wanted to sleep in and left clean towels outside.
-We were able to check out late at no extra charge.
In summary I feel like this was worth the money we paid. It's not going to blow you away but I'd happily recommend it to someone on a budget.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor so we could hear a little noise from upstairs but I think the room mig...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sierraneil
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

smallest room I have ever stayed in and the window turned out to be a fire door that was partly overgrown. used aftershave to disguise the unused smell that you sometimes get in an old house.
location was prefect for my purpose although there seemed to be a lot of activity in around the area as the night went on albeit more down towards the main road. verdict : very average
( some shake and vac on the carpets would at least give the hotel a pleasant smell )

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank anita m
Milford, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the end of our stay in Ireland. The hotel is cramped, care-worn and slightly over used. We just started laughing with each other when we noticed things that were just hanging by a thread,, such as door knobs. There was barely enough room to walk around the end of the bed, and since that was the only place for our luggage, even that was not available. You had to sit on the toilet and then tuck your legs under the sink. Because of the room size, we spent time in the lounge area, rather than relaxing in our room.

When we arrived for check in, a 1/2 hour early, we were directed, rather rudely to just wait until it was time to check in. They also had a rather dated habit of requiring you to turn your room key in when you left the building. (which was just as well, since they had a HUGE tag on the room key, that actually made it a pain to lock and unlock your room). Oh, and parking was an extra fee...yeah.

We had no desire to avail ourselves of the breakfast, given the condition of the rooms.

The location leaves a little to be desired if you just want to walk to the city center. The neighborhood is a bit rundown, didn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

If other critical reviews are any guide, the manager will come along and belittle my opinion. That is fine, I never intend to stay here again, and would not recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank The_M1492

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel was excellent - close to the Zoo and a short bus ride from just outside the hotel to the centre of the city and the museums etc.
All the staff were extremely helpful and jolly - a real pleasure.
Thanks

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gwhabbott
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here for four nights and while the hotel itself is very nice I was a bit disappointed with the room and the location. I arrived early in the morning and the hotel didn't have a formal, secure place to store my luggage so I left it basically in the lobby which was a bit of a risk. Thankfully it was safe. However, the staff were extremely nice and very helpful. They showed me how to get around Dublin easily. There is a but stop right beside the hotel too and I'd recommend taking the bus if you wish to get downtown, as the hotel is a bit farther from city centre than I'd thought. It is a great location for Glasnevin cemetery though, which is definitely worth a visit. This guesthouse, like many guesthouses in Ireland, lacks an elevator, so be prepared to haul your luggage up a few steps. Overall, the room was tidy and comfortable enough, and service was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenna P
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here last year for holiday in Dublin, very very ordinary accommodation, don't believe pictures on internet it was nothing like them. Very disappointed with size and disposition of room, service pretty ordinary. Will never stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends