“not a good place”

Ranked #18 of 531 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the world's oldest zoos, Dublin Zoo is also modern in design and houses more than 600 animals. It has been redesigned in recent years to be a safe environment for people and the animals with gardens, lakes and natural habitats.
south yorkshire
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“not a good place”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

On arrival we found the elephant house closed which was a little dissapointing. However, on walking around the zoo, it was clear that they would probably be better off elsewhere as would every other animal. The enclosures are so small, the indoor bits were filthy and poorly equipped. The orang utans had awful conditions as did the lions, rhino, giraffes, sea lions,penguins and to be honest, all the animals. There was no sign of water for many of them, the enclosures were filthy and in major need of mucking out. All the animals we saw looked so so sad with no life in their eyes at all. We all in our group felt really sad and actually missed part of the zoo out as we couldn't bear to see any more. Not a place I would recommend if you are a true nature or animal lover. If you don't care about the animals but want to see sad animals treated with no dignity then this is the place for you.

1 Thank macca28

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great day out”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Dublin Zoo! What can I say amazing, went with family, we all had one of our best days out. Great. Will go back again loved it.

Visited August 2013
Wexford, Ireland
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great family day out”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We took our 2.5 year old and our 14 year old and they enjoyed the visit very much. The wait for the tickets was a pain but the staff are great. Arrive early to avoid the crowd. I have been to a few zoos around the world and I would have to say that this is one of the best. Loads of animals for all the family especially the African exhibit. A little bit hot for the tropical exhibits on the day we were there. The only downside is the outrageous prices in the restaurant. Yes, I know it's a tourist spot but I saw loads of people bringing a picnic. We brought a good packed lunch and found a nice shady picnic table.

1 Thank Declan O
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good Day Out But...”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Visited Dublin Zoo for the first time in a long time. Was pleasantly surprised at all the new enclosures. The African Plains is really good. Only downside was the Meerkat Restaurant which I visited at 2.30pm to be told pizza oven off but will make a sandwich. If you are going to have a restaurant open at a major visitor attraction it should be fully open and stocked. Pity as this is what I will tell people about regarding my visit.

belfast
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“fantastic”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family of 4 went to vist the zoo. We have 2 teenage boys.
we had a bit of a wait to get our ticket but it was ok added to the excitement of it all. The person taking the money was very happy cheerful person, and indeed helpful.

we walked into the zoo in a lovely afternoon sun. We found there was lots of animals to see and different areas to vist I lved the African part.

we were lucky enough to see the tigers getting fed, eating raw chicken, just a bit of glass separates you from them. ( very thick glass I may add) we loved the wolfs as well.

all our family really enjoyed our day. Its a must to go you will love it.

we did take a very big pack lunch with us there is a lot of tables around the zoo you will find a free 1. Food I would say expensive so good idea to pack something.

1 Thank relaxingbelfast